Studying Sound Engineering

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Studying Sound Engineering

Studying Sound Engineering

I've been thinking for a long time to study sound engineering and lately considered
    saving money and apply outside my country(Israel).

I checked out the SAE and LIPA websites and thinking currently towards SAE since
    I dont have the experience LIPA demands.

Note: There's not a certain country I have to study in, I currently think towards australia since there's a big SAE center there and living costs there are lower than UK or US,
    but it could be any country where english is the spoken language.

I've read about some people here from different countries saying SAE doesnt worth the money, read a few posts from US guys who thinks exactly the opposite, so for the sake of convenience I'll sum this post with 2 main questions:

1. Which college for audio engineering would you recommend?

* Note: I'm coming from overseas, I'd like it to be a big place with alot of people
    to interact and have support for international students, so your small local college might not be the best for me, try to think from an angle of someone who's coming to study in a foreign country.

2. From your experience and knowledge, is it hard to get an internship after you graduated from a place like this? I'm going to invest alot there financially and I'm leaving my country and friends and home so sure I'll put my best on studies there, question is, how does students that graduate there get along with the industry?

Thank you,

ME: RG350DX
    MB: Carvin IC6

I studied at Bowling Green State University in Ohio. They don't technically have a 4 year degree for recording, but they have it as a minor. I also later learned in my second year that they have a program to "make" your own major (basically take a bunch of classes you wanna take, throw them together, and then you got yourself a major. I've heard that a lot of college actually do this, usually called something like Individualized Planned Program), so that's what I did, which allowed me to learn some business, physics, and engineering courses in an attempt to make myself more well rounded. However, the biggest edge I had was that, while attending school, I worked with the Recording Services on campus. Through them, I attained so much extra experience learning things like live sound, advanced editing in Pro Tools, transferring audio between different forms of media, and making my own cables. Plus, I had full, free access to the recording studio whenever I wanted. And now, I'm in Los Angeles, working with a guy who worked at the same Recording Services 4 years before me, all because we have that shared connection. My point here is this: see if you can find a school that has some sort of student-employed service like that. The amount of extra experience you can gain is invaluable.

Good luck man. Hope everything goes well

ME: Ibby CST,CT,UV pwh
    MA: Ibby CST w/piezo
    Rig: Axe fx II

Might want to check out I.P.R (Institiute for production and recording). It's a 2 yr. college, around 500 students. Right in down town Minneapolis. Completely Pro Tools. They have like 8 or 9 studios. Post production, audio engineering, access to 6 master mix studios, full access to recording studios 24/7. All teachers/profs are currently working in the field. Their computer labs would seriously make you shit. Imagine 10-15 daws sitting side by side. I think there are 2 or 3 labs aside from the recording studios.
    Keep in mind as far as what the industry has to offer. It's not very good right now. Like with any field, as it relates to the college experience, If you apply yourself, and set yourself apart from the rest, there shouldn't be too many problems...That being said, the production recording engineer field is saturated right now....

ME: Ibanez RG7421
    MA: Yamaha LL6
    Rig: Peavey 6534+ + Bogner 412

SAE is a bit of a gimmick imo.

Check out Alchemea in London.

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

I went through Music Industry Arts here at Fanshawe College, which covers basically every aspect of the music industry (production/engineering, business, law, theory, ear training, songwriting, etc.), with the main focus being on the recording side of things. Gave me a great overall understanding of the music industry, and I probably could have gotten an internship or job at a studio right out of graduation if I had really wanted to (my focus has always been more to end up working for myself, as well as doing the whole songwriter/musician thing, and I decided to focus on the musician thing first, while I'm young-ish, figuring I'll never be too old to be a cranky failed musician recording other people's shitty demos while spouting my own opinions and being set in my ways ).

As far as what I actually learned, I've probably learned more on my own since graduating, but it's more so that it took a year or two after graduation for some of it to really sink in and make practical sense in my head. The biggest benefits for me, though, were:

1) studio time in a really decent studio with some really decent gear
    2) knowledgable people to bounce questions/ideas off of
    3) other people learning beside me, who were more than willing to compare mixes and tricks, not to mention a lot of fun jam sessions

It strengthened my ears a great deal, improved me greatly as a musician, and got me used to not sleeping, ever

ME: Charvel
    Rig: Imac/Apollo

SAE is worth it, why? Well not many schools that give you unlimited access to an SSL, ICON and NEVE boards will let you run a session by yourself. At SAE you get to bring in the artist(s) that you want and be the engineer instead of watching someone else do it. One of my instructors has a tripple platinum record and is being nominated for a grammy. The assistant director at my school is Kenny Cheseny's engineer. The new head instructor(full sail grad) was one of charles dye's first students(pro tools student).

On top of that there is job placement which has a 76% success rate. And you can come back after you graduate and do what ever the hell you want. I went back a few weeks ago to record a friend at 3am.

But any sound school will give you the education you want, its up to you to pay attention.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

I went through 1 year of Montana State University's "Music Technology" program, which was billed as a hybrid of a traditional music degree and a recording arts degree.

Quit when I realized that it wouldn't really help me find an adequate job (which is why I'm in buisness w/ pre-law interest now ). Really look at the state of the industry before you even think about it. Look at the credentials the exceedingly few people who are really successful have. There really isn't a "standard" all the programs here in the US are held too. There are things like "Pro Tools Certifications" and there are one or two accrediting agencies, but nothing as stringent as other, more established fields have. I feel really stupid for even wasting 1 year doing it, don't even want to think about how shitty I would have felt wasting 4 years doing it.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Also, are you looking for a trade school, or a traditional four year college? When I was still pursuing a degree in the field I made the decision (and my parents were pretty strongly behind it ) that four year college>trade school. Some might say otherwise though.