Metal Guitarist Forums banner

The bass tone on Petrucci's "Suspended Animation"

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Max 
#1 ·
Not wild on the tone in isolation, but I relly like how it fits in the mix so I've been sitting down with one of my mixes, the EQ on Winamp, and ReaEQ and trying to figure out where exactly it's poking through like that.

I'm a bit releived my first guess seemed close - sounded 200hz-y or so, and scooping the 170hz slider on Winamp pretty much removed it from the mix, so it's probably in the 150-200 range. But, man, is it just me or are we talking probaly +6-8db through there, maybe more? IT seems VERY focused in that upper bass/lower mids range.

I've got a low pass around 1k, +6db or so at 150and -5 or so at 320 or so with Qs of around 1, and a moderate amount of compression, but something still sounds off. It's probably mostly a tighter bassist and better guitar tone, but still. :lol:

#2 ·
It's the same with Myung's tone, it's just really round and not very attack-y. almost like a sine wave. I suspect there is a lot of DI in the mix. Try blending with DI to various degrees. Compress it to all hell and don't generally over EQ it (the DI, that is).

Try not to use extreme EQ to get the desired result. If it ain't workin off the bat it ain't gonna work so go back to the drawing board and approach from another angle.

To me, the bass on that record doesn't sound overly EQ'd to fit the mix, it just is what it is. There was probably more subtractive EQ going on than anything.

What are you using to get the main body of the tone? Amp + mic or DI'd with sims, or sansamp? And do you have clips?

#6 ·
RPM. I had to check my profile to be sure. :lol: I'm blending a DI out with a gritty out, compressing te DI and mixing the grit version back.

#9 ·
:scratch: I'm using the eq sliders on winamp
And then ReaEQ in reaper on one of my mixes, and trying to give my bass a similar density in the low mids there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.