Be wary of recent windows updates.
I dont know which of these it fucked with, could be all of em for all I know, but I traced a problem (buzzing and crackling on opening of a project and any movement of the playback cursor) to an update. I dont know which one, I just know that when I reinstalled, it went away, when I brought said fresh installation on my audio machine up to date it came back and my 2nd machine that hasnt been updated past SP1 works fine, so I'm 99% sure its the update that did it.
Just a note, in case you've heard the problem, but mainly so you can avoid it. I know there are a lot of reaper users and a couple of RME users here. It may well only apply to that exact combination (which I think is just me and maybe Kim ), but I thought it was worth pointing out
Thanks, I'll try to remember to check next time I restart and install updates