Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Help With DI Recording For Reamping

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  jmeezle 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

My band is going to start tracking DI's for our EP in a month or so. The tracks will be sent out to an awesome producer in Sweden for reamping and I want to do it right. Obviously new strings/setup and a good performance is a major factor in the shit sounding good.

I have the option of going out of the HD500 dry and using S/PDIF out to the S/PDIF inputs on my interface. Not sure if this is a good way to go or if getting a good DI box is best.

Here's what I'm working with:

Agile intrepid Pro 828 w/ EMG 808's
Ibanez BTB675M Bass
Pod HD500
Carvin TS100 Power Amp
Presonus Firestudio Project interface

If the DI box is the best/only way to go what are some good ones to use?

Thanks!

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
Thanks man, going to order this now!

Unless you're doing reamping yourself, it's not really worth the extra bones over a dedicated DI. However, if you are doing reamping, then you're a dick if you don't own one. It's probably the best bit of kit in my entire set up :lol:
LOL! We aren't doing the reamping ourselves, Mr. Skog is handling the reamping/mixing/mastering.

So just to be clear my chain should be as simple as: guitar > DI box > interface correct?

Again, I don't want to fuck anything up being that I've never sent out proper DI tracks for reamping.

Thanks for all of your help! :yesway:

#3 ·
^ That. Basically the only thing better is a "proper" Radial ($200) or a high quality mic pre with a built-in instrument jack (e.g. Audient MiCo, $660). But I've used that exact same box live and in recording sessions and it won't let you down for getting a good DI into your Firestudio.

#6 ·
Given a choice and unlimited budget, this would be my DI box:

You'd think a DI box wouldn't make much of a difference.

I thought so too, then I tried one of these side by side with a Radial JDI, a Countryman Type 85, and a number of other "standards." Now I'm glad I don't play gigs where I need to DI, because then I'd be GASing for a $600 DI box :lol:

The worst part is that I can't even describe objectively or subjectively *why* it's better. It just is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.