Tough choice for interface

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: Tough choice for interface

Tough choice for interface

Hello all!

Here goes for my monthly thread.

I've been strumming guitars for half my life now, actually a little more, but haven't plugged my guitar into my computer since Win98. And as you might recall, things worked differently back then.

I am now really interested in learning how to plug my plank into my pc and record shit (using maybe audacity as I remember not being smart enough for cubase, back in the day).

Naturally, I have read around a bit, especially here on MG but have a bit of a dilemma.

To make a short-gone-long story short, I have the choice between the two following interfaces, for the same price, both in mint condition apparently, and don't know which way to go:
    - M-Audio Fast Track Review & Rating | (m-audio fast track);
    - TERRATEC - Products - Sound - External (USB) - TerraTec DMX 6Fire USB

The terratec looks like a good option because I could, if need be, use it for a wide array of purposes, whereas the m-audio looks more like a one trick horse. But that might not be a bad thing.

--> What is a man to do?

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

I've never even heard of Terratec. I'd lean towards M-Audio simply because it's a very well-established, reputable brand, and I've had good luck with their interfaces I've owned in the past (though I'm learning they have a reputation for taking their time with driver updates, haha)
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Stuff
    MB: More Stuff
    Rig: Extra Stuff

I had a Delta-44 on just about every Windows OS there is and never had a problem.

That Terratec company looked like they're aiming almost exclusively at the budget market. M-Audio? Now, those gentlemen came in on another boat.

Hm, but then that terratec system goes for 300$ new whereas the m-audio fast track for only circa 140$ tops.

But it's true that I have yet to read a bad review for m-audio (the terratec system gets good reviews to though).

Will see if I can get through to the seller. Thanks a lot guys!

Oh well, the sale fell through for the fast track (some folks seem happier licking shlongs than selling their stuff).

Thanks again for the advice! Always very much appreciated!