Well it's now gotten to the point where I need a dedicated client room/office/recording and mixing space so I am starting on turning the front room of my house into such an area. It's a nice large room with plenty of natural sunlight which is perfect to bring clients into and discuss their photography/videography/design/audio needs. It's going to have a complete makeover though to make it look as good as it will function to leave the best impression with potential clients.
So on the list is;
New laminate flooring to deal with the moisture issue
Walls getting painted (a feature wall with some nice light grey highlight walls)
Acoustically treating the room for maximum responsiveness from my monitors
Building a custom desk to work from
Sewing up a new cover for the couch that's going in there as the current one is a little worn
Getting some photography printed on plexiglass to hang up
Mounting one of my tvs to the wall above the desk for presentations and also just chilling
Converting a pair of shelves to 2m high bass traps that still have shelving inside
First step is the desk. Given how incredibly expensive the stuff is to buy, I decided to throw together one to suit my needs at a far lower cost than what I could buy commercially. Almost every part comes from ikea except for the racking rails and some hardware. Here's the design (excuse the roughness, it's just a quick sketch to visualise dimensions and such)
The list of parts from Ikea are
1x Linnmon Table top (1200x600 is what I got but you could use larger if you wanted)
2x Rast bedside tables (they are exactly sized for 19' rack gear)
4x Adils legs
1x EKBY JÄRPEN shelf for the top shelf (you could also use Ekby Tryggve for a cheaper alternative)
It's got 2x 6 unit rack bays in the front which is plenty enough for my needs, the top shelf is just the right height to bring the cones in line with my eyes when I sit and there's enough space between them to put me right in the sweet spot.
For all the parts from ikea, it cost me $124, the rack rails were $22 and it will probably take me no more than about 2 hours to put the whole thing together. Just need a few extra screws and drill bits to secure the units all together. Sure beats the $600 a store bought one would go for.
I'll update this thread as work progresses and hopefully someone gets something out of it.