Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Stuck with a mix

Tags
mix stuck
1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Bohmer 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've wanted to learn metal mixing forever and been reading the tutorials here and elsewhere quite a long time.
They helped a lot, but after months of learning I still feel stuck and don't know how to proceed.
Here's where I managed to get so far:

(melodic/folk/power/viking/whatever metal)

The guitar tone is 100% amp sims (Legion for the rhythm, X30 for the lead), but from what I have been hearing all around the internets, amp sims are perfectly capable of producing brilliant tones, so this should not be the problem.

Can anyone offer specific advice regarding how to get more weight and clarity?

#5 ·
From what I'm hearing I don't think the amp sims are necessarily the issue, they don't sound bad to me at all. IMHO, the thing that jumps out at me is the lack clarity in the rhythm section. The bass, drums, and rhythm guitar seem buried under the lead and vocals.

Just observations from a recording noob with very un-trained ears, I am digging the song though:metal:

#6 ·
Cobra Commander >> LeCab2 and GuitarHack's impulses.

Bohmer >> I think so as well. I tried quite a few amp/cab sims, and they don't change much. Pretty much regardless of what amp/cab I choose, I seem to end up EQ'ing them so that they sound about the same.

And the (lack of) clarity in the rhythm section is exactly the issue I can't get around.

I'm flattered to hear you like the song! I'll post the it whole when I either manage to improve it or totally exhaust myself on the way to improving it :D

#7 ·
That melody guitar is absolutely hammering everything else down: mute it.

Then work on everything else.

It's kinda incredibly loud. This is doing three things: Wrecking your mixes balance, wrecking your headroom, wrecking any chance you have of getting good, clear ears on the rest of the mix.

#8 ·
That melody guitar is absolutely hammering everything else down: mute it.

Then work on everything else.

It's kinda incredibly loud. This is doing three things: Wrecking your mixes balance, wrecking your headroom, wrecking any chance you have of getting good, clear ears on the rest of the mix.
Listen to this man, he knows his shit.

He's a cunt, but he knows his shit.

#10 ·
Chris is right, I am a cunt :wub:

The new mix is much better. Still a long way to go, but haven't we all?

Keep at it. Read guides, pay close attention to mixes you like, etc etc. At the moment the single biggest problem now is you need (that's categorically NEED) and stonking, clear, punchy bass sound. Go listen to some iron maiden for assistance.

#11 ·
That must have been something I overlooked almost deliberately... I'm mostly using Eluveitie's "Slania" album as a reference, and the bass does not stand out much on that album.
However, it might very well be that the bass is just blended very well with the rhythm guitars, and that's why the rhythm guitars sound so awesome on that record.
Will definitely look more into it. And I'll see if referencing Iron Maiden helps :D

Thanks a lot for the care! :metal:

#12 ·
Referencing Maiden is always a win! Please keep updating this though, it will definitely be helpful for me as I learn how to record.

Now that I've had a chance to listen to the update-
yes, it's an improvement:metal:
the drums and bass need definition and IMHO, need to be fuller.

Listen to MDV, he is wise. Referencing Maiden is a must.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.