So, first post in this forum.
I'm building a GSSL stereo bus compressor, which is a VCA stereo bus compressor based very heavily on the Solid State Logic G series bus compressor. The main difference is a summed detector in the GSSL vs 2 mono detectors in the original. I'd been wanting to build some outboard gear for quite some time, and I chose the GSSL for a few reasons. One, it's fairly easy because it's low voltage solid state (so very unlikely to kill me!), and 2, there are a lot of mods out there for it. Some of the mods include a sidechain high pass filter, adding a second detector to make it behave like the actual SSL G compressor, and a few others. I'm incorporating the high pass filter and the second detector (though that will have to come later - it's another $50 and I'm broke as hell right now).
Anyway, time for the fun stuff. Pics.
Day 1: I got the kit! Time to start working. Don't have more pics of this, unfortunately. Wish I did.
Day 10: Finished the resistors! Learning to read resistor value codes is the furthest thing from fun, by the way - hugely time consuming. Soldering iron burns aren't particularly fun either - had to take a few days off to let my finger heal a bit.
Day 12: Finished stuffing the board! Once the resistors were done it was pretty smooth sailing. The red polyester caps were a pain to keep in place, though - really didn't want to stay where I put them. The VCA sockets were a bit of a trick, too. Had to make a makeshift stand for the board out of a pair of wirecutters to make them stay in place as I soldered.
More to come after I fix the little soldering mistakes I've made - the pads on the PCB are quite small and with relatively large 0.8mm solder, it was very easy to have them over flow and accidentally connect two components that aren't supposed to be connected.