Here's my latest go at recording. Did a lot of things differently this time around.
For starters, I used totally different drum samples than normal. I typically would layer a "dry" Metal Machine set with a super compressed version of the same set and then mix in/out each kit as I deemed appropriate. (I.E. Compressed set louder for fills, down for busier sections, etc). This time around I used mostly Avatar with a little bit of the Metal Machine stuff on x-drum. I think I prefer it this way; was great to actually branch out a little from my normal preset.
I'm also admittedly really bad with mixing bass. I can get good bass tones, but not necessarily good bass tones that fit well. So I did the same thing here that I did with drums - started from the ground up. I ended up using three tracks for the bass tone (same take copied into three separate tracks). One was the standard "clean" bass tone with a little bit of a cut in the lows. One was a dirty, mega distorted signal focused around higher mids, and the third was a shelved signal that focused primarily on lows. The third reminded me almost of a sine wave. Anyway, mixing these the way I did worked well in my opinion, but I still think there's a long way to go.
Anyway, I'm always looking to improve this stuff, so if you can, I'd love to hear your thoughts!