Which albums have aged well production wise? Which haven't?

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Which albums have aged well production wise? Which haven't?

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Which albums have aged well production wise? Which haven't?

I think about this sometimes, mostly while listening to In Flames and Soilwork, where it's really clear. It's weird, the less cutting edge mixes tend to age better IMO. A Predators Portrait and Whoracle both aged better than their later work production wise. There are a lot of times I listen to melo-deathy stuff and think "This would be sicker with Predator's Portrait style production". There are some cutting edge albums that came out a couple years back that are really dated already. Fatiguing to listen to and the unpleasant kind of nostalgia.

Any opinions? Certainly not confined to just the bands I mentioned. Talking mostly production, music is entirely a different matter.

ME: Ibanez ARZ307FM
    Rig: Peavey 5150 II

I feel like this happens with any kind of production, not just audio. Like you know how there are some awesome looking older movies that have aged pretty well (The Thing, Alien, Jurassic Park) but then the movies that came out in the early days of CG generally look like dogshit (the Star Wars prequels)? Or how there are a ton of SNES games with pixel graphics that still look good but Goldeneye N64 looks comically dated even though it objectively has more advanced graphics?

I mean it's also probably just because metal (especially death metal) went through/is going through a period where brickwalling the fuck out of everything to sound heavier/more intense was/is the norm. Thankfully it seems like bands are starting to either back off that, going for a more traditional sound, or using engineers that have figured out how to get that sound in a way that doesn't feel like someone smacking you in the ears for an hour.

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

I think "Piece of Mind" and "Powerslave" sound great to this day.

Queensryche's "Rage for Order" still sounds fantastic, as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson DK27/DKMG
    MB: Yamaha RBX775
    Rig: Randall V2/Mesa OS 412

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    On the same coin, Empire is a really, really well-produced album, and still sounds good to this day.

Quite a few of Judas Priest's '80s records aged poorly, due to the heavy use of reverb and synths. Turbo, Ram It Down, and Painkiller sound as dated as could be.

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner
    Rig: Budda SD30

Deep Purple's Machine Head sounds pretty modern, without a lot of cliches and with plenty of clarity and punch. The only thing that gives away the vintage is the vocal recording quality and the copious amounts of awesome Hammond
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

Pink Floyd's Animals and Momentary Lapse Of Reason
    Queensryche Operation: Mindcrime and Empire (The latter even Chris Lord-Alge says is one of his all time favorites)
    Metallica The Black Album
    Pretty much anything Queen released.
    Van Halen Van Halen 1 (I've never checked after hearing this but ALL the guitars are panned hard left and the effects are in the right? That's crazy!)
    Any Tears For Fears album
    Any Duran Duran album
    Dr. Dre The Chronic
    Snoop Doggy Dogg Doggystyle

I'm sure I could think of a few more, but what I really miss is the early-mid 90's production sound, across the board. Rap, rock, metal...I miss when drums sounded like someone spent a long time getting a killer drum sound or when the songs had an energy only created by playing together live.
    "It's ONE WHOLE MILLIMETER"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I think "Piece of Mind" and "Powerslave" sound great to this day.

Everything Iron Maiden and Queensryche has aged tremendously. There are only a couple 80s albums that are good musically where the production hasn't aged that well. Riot "Thundersteel" for example would be a lot sicker if it was up to par with something like Mindcrime production wise.

Maybe I'm just biased, or maybe advances for recording nose diving and receding popularity had to do with it, but most albums from the 80s aged a lot better production wise than 90s ones.

The U.D.O. album Timebomb has probably the greatest production ever. I love that album. Absolutely unfairly obscure gem. Blew my mind the first time I heard it.

^Would be interested to hear what other people think about that album sonically. Because for melodic non extreme metal that's pretty much how everything is supposed to sound to my ears.