Use of VST amps

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Use of VST amps

ME: Ibanez RGD Prestige
    MB: LTD Surveyor
    Rig: Diezel Einstein

Use of VST amps

I've decided to just get on with playing with some demo ideas and use VSTs until I can get monitors and a cab load box. However, what I've never really got about VSTs is that they always either sound too harsh/gainy, then if you turn them down, they sound weak and drained. Any tips/tricks on how to use them and make them sound good? Ta!
    The above comment may or may not be about Morbid Angel.

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: VHT Pittbull + Axe FX II

its all in the IR's. To be fair IRs do not cost a lot. You can pick up some really nice ones from ownhammer and redwirez for about a fiver. Also use a boost pedal vst as well if you arent already. TSEs 808 is good, and free!

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: VHT Pittbull + Axe FX II

Also you should be looking more at the sound of the finished product. How does it sound once its in a mix with bass and drums? If it sounds good like that it doesnt matter if it sounds shit on its own.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RGD Prestige
    MB: LTD Surveyor
    Rig: Diezel Einstein

Ah yes, I already have a nice set of Marshall 1960 IRs. I'll give some boost VSTs a go too. Good point about the full mix thing, I hadn't thought about that. Cheers Nick!

ME: Schecter Tempest
    MA: Cort Dread
    Rig: VSTs. :(

If you can get something that emulates the power amp as well, I've found that to be a massive help. I use Two-Notes PI101 (iirc it's now part of the wall of sound program), but have got similar results with the power amp parts of some other plugins (especially Kazrog's). The slight power amp distortion seems to be the part that's lacking from most VSTs when compared to real amps - in my experience, at least.

Also, give Ignite Amp's plugins a look. Free, and very good quality - I still use the TSB-1 (boost pedal), and only stopped using the Emissary because I needed something lower gain.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Also you should be looking more at the sound of the finished product. How does it sound once its in a mix with bass and drums? If it sounds good like that it doesnt matter if it sounds shit on its own.
    Yeah - this. ANY recorded guitar is going to sound kind of strange compared to one live in the room. I grabbed the LePou stuff, and thought their Ecstasy model was absolutely awesome. I've actually been thinking of using that more for demoing than my Roadster, simply because I can record silently plugging straight into the board and still get pretty slid results.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

...and, actually, I just pulled up the Recto model - it's actually a little depressing how close to my usual tone I can get the thing dialed in.

ME: PRS Custom 22
    Rig: JCM800

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    ...and, actually, I just pulled up the Recto model - it's actually a little depressing how close to my usual tone I can get the thing dialed in.
    In LePou? Feel free to share.