The Mic Preamp Bandwagon. And a driftwood. (clips)

   Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 27

Thread: The Mic Preamp Bandwagon. And a driftwood. (clips)

  1. #1


    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Location: UK
    ME: Legra Customs
    MA: Victor Garcia
    MB: Legra Spyder
    Rig: Pittbull CL/Triple Rec

    iTrader: 1 (100%)

    The Mic Preamp Bandwagon. And a driftwood. (clips)

    Ok, so I've been wondering what I've been missing.

    I got a 'warm audio tone beast'. Its supposed to be a lot like a 312 and I didn't want to shell out for a 3124+ (2800, seriously?) or buy the PSU and case for one 512.

    I have a fireface UFX. Apparently it has competent, clean pres, according to the luminaries of the internet. I've only ever used interface pres. I've never had a problem with them. I've always felt that so much can be done to change sound that isn't subtle and costs much less that it's never interested me.

    But, I got curious and bought this thing. I've tested it as a guitar pre and bass DI. The following tracks are a few bars of drop A guitar with some superior 2 avatar kit on it. I made no effort to really 'mix' anything, and I didn't change the amp (driftwood purple nightmare) from how I would play it, and I put the 57 in a best-guess position and didn't move it. There's too much gain and low end, and the kick is getting lost. I don't really care about that for this test.

    The guitars have a high pass at about 90Hz. The bass and 2buss are a bit compressed and there's about a db, occasionally 2, getting stomped on by a russian elephant.

    I was tempted to do it blind, but I like the silly names I gave the tracks, so I'm not

    All in all I like the difference, and I'm keeping it (where I bought it from has a no-quibble return policy), but the difference/price ratio is terrible and next time I see someone bemoaning interface pres or advising a neophyte to buy a 1073, I'm going upside their head.

    But, there are the files, you listen for yourselves

    Names are pre (guitar) - di (bass). The other DI is a little labs red eye.
    Attached Files

  2. #2


    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Location: UK
    ME: Legra Customs
    MA: Victor Garcia
    MB: Legra Spyder
    Rig: Pittbull CL/Triple Rec

    iTrader: 1 (100%)

    The other two combinations.
    Attached Files

  3. #3


    Join Date: Jan 2013
    Location: Houston
    ME: Jackson King V
    MB: EB musicman
    Rig: 6505+

    iTrader: 0

    there really wasn't a discernible difference for me monitoring on cans. How do you like the red eye? I've been looking at getting the red eye 3d

  4. #4


    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Location: UK
    ME: Legra Customs
    MA: Victor Garcia
    MB: Legra Spyder
    Rig: Pittbull CL/Triple Rec

    iTrader: 1 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by geoffshreds View Post
    there really wasn't a discernible difference for me monitoring on cans. How do you like the red eye? I've been looking at getting the red eye 3d
    It's pretty slight, isn't it? I find it brings the pick attack out somewhat and is slightly tighter. If anything it's better on the bass, because it's got some natural compression from smashing the input transformer.

    Anyway, the red eye is one of the most useful tools you can have for recording. Highly recommend. As you can hear, its DI abilities hold up against a considerably flashier unit and its reamping is spot on.

  5. #5


    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: Somerville, Ma
    ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

    iTrader: 5 (100%)

    I'll check this out on good speakers first chance I get.

    One of the arguments I've heard on preamp quality is that it matters less on any one single track, than it does when you stack 32 tracks on top of each other, when things like better transient response start to translate into a clearer, more intelligible mix. What's your take, so far?
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

  6. #6


    Join Date: Jan 2013
    Location: Houston
    ME: Jackson King V
    MB: EB musicman
    Rig: 6505+

    iTrader: 0

    Quote Originally Posted by MDV View Post
    It's pretty slight, isn't it? I find it brings the pick attack out somewhat and is slightly tighter. If anything it's better on the bass, because it's got some natural compression from smashing the input transformer.

    Anyway, the red eye is one of the most useful tools you can have for recording. Highly recommend. As you can hear, its DI abilities hold up against a considerably flashier unit and its reamping is spot on.
    right on, i've been holding out on getting one because I've been on a mic buying rampage. Gonna have to get one though.
    glad you're happy with the purchase. What were the settings on the tone beast? that thing looks pretty versatile. cool looking piece of gear

  7. #7


    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Location: UK
    ME: Legra Customs
    MA: Victor Garcia
    MB: Legra Spyder
    Rig: Pittbull CL/Triple Rec

    iTrader: 1 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I'll check this out on good speakers first chance I get.

    One of the arguments I've heard on preamp quality is that it matters less on any one single track, than it does when you stack 32 tracks on top of each other, when things like better transient response start to translate into a clearer, more intelligible mix. What's your take, so far?
    Yeah, I've heard that said.

    Closest I can get to a test here is a quad track. So here are some quad tracks.

    For the quad, I rolled a bit out of the lows on the guitar in the DAW.

    I'm not hearing anything noticable in the way of stacking characteristics. Maybe very slightly. Not enough to give a fuck about, imo. It still sounds like the same difference to me. Just some more bite in the attack and control of the low end. Edit: and, since I've just been talking about what I think I hear in the Beast; the fireface is smoother, which clearly has its merits. Not even sure there's a winner here, for my tastes. Just differences /edit.

    Both these have the same tonebeast bass on them as above. It's slightly quieter, because it was annoying me with its loudness. Overall bordering on sounding good now...but so is the fireface version
    Attached Files

  8. #8


    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Location: UK
    ME: Legra Customs
    MA: Victor Garcia
    MB: Legra Spyder
    Rig: Pittbull CL/Triple Rec

    iTrader: 1 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by geoffshreds View Post
    right on, i've been holding out on getting one because I've been on a mic buying rampage. Gonna have to get one though.
    glad you're happy with the purchase. What were the settings on the tone beast? that thing looks pretty versatile. cool looking piece of gear
    731, steel, clean caps.

    That's just where the settings ended up in my preliminary tests, before I bashed out a something primitive that I could one take over and over for the real tests. I know what the differences are *supposed* to be, not sure I'm hearing it. I'll keep fucking with that.

Similar Threads

  1. FS M Audio DMP3 Mic preamp
    By RGhoarder in forum Amps & Gear For Sale / Trade / Wanted
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-05-2015, 12:51 PM
  2. NAD: Driftwood Mini Nightmare (Pics, Clips)
    By bulb in forum Guitar: Gear Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-03-2015, 09:17 AM
  3. FS Rocktron Prophesy preamp/direct recording preamp
    By Professor Squidbeard in forum Amps & Gear For Sale / Trade / Wanted
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 06:28 PM
  4. NAD (bandwagon content)
    By Abhorred in forum Guitar: Gear Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-21-2010, 05:22 PM
  5. FS EMERGENCY - MUST SELL BY DEC. 30 PreSonus TUBEPre single-channel mic preamp
    By WarriorOfMetal in forum Amps & Gear For Sale / Trade / Wanted
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-24-2008, 08:20 PM

Tags for this Thread


Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  Decibel Guitars  NumbSkull Audio Production



VigLink badge