Recording 5150 at home without volume

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recording 5150 at home without volume

ME: Warmoth Superstrat

Recording 5150 at home without volume

I was in rehearsal yesterday and tried one thing:

I connected the Send from FX Loop to my interface for the DI signal, piece of cake.
    Then I stuffed a guitar cable in the Return. There was a big drop of volume, but I could still hear a little treble from the speakers, but I still had some annoying humming noise

Is this bad for the speakers, or is this a way to do it?

I wanna try some IRs at home with my 5150

ME: Jackson DK2
    MA: Lag T66ACE
    MB: Aria SLB

Oddly, it looks a reasonable approach - keep the master volume at 0 and pick the IR (just don't unplug the speakers). You'll lose any of the power amp characteristics and it'll just be the pre-amp section, but you know that already.

I await correction by those more in the know.
    10 PRINT "Nom ";
    20 GOTO 10
    RUN

Nom Nom Nom Nom...
    Error: Buffet overflow!

ACtually I can't have volume at 0, because then there's no signal at all from the FX Send. It's directly affected by master volume.
    I just wrote in the first post there was sound

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: Mesa Roadking II

have you got a friend who has a hotplate or a different power soak? that way you can run the amp hard at no volume. As a bonus, a hotplate has a direct out so you'll get the the full power amp characteristics.

if you ae really into it, then i highly recommend a torpedo live or studio, as that is total silent recording wih tube amps running full pelt that sounds beyond awesome and pretty much like the real deal

I dont wanna have a cab connected at all really

Does anybody know if Koch Dummybox is any good or do I have to spend a "fortune" on a Two Notes stuff? Or something...

ME: S7420
    MB: 'Ray
    Rig: Ironheart

It's safe. For less hum, zero out the Resonance and Presence, they aren't affecting the FX Send output on that amp. Any old resistive load will do, if you use the FX Send output. There will only be differences between loads, if you use the Speaker output.

ME: LPC
    MB: Stingray 5
    Rig: Ooobershawl

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    I dont wanna have a cab connected at all really

Does anybody know if Koch Dummybox is any good or do I have to spend a "fortune" on a Two Notes stuff? Or something...
    AFAIK, the Koch is a resistive load, which is generally said to be worse than reactive load. As I understand it, it's because an 8 ohm speaker (for example) is only 8ohms at a specific frequency, at other frequencies, it will have a different ohmage, and the output transformer is designed to work with that. A fixed resistor is 8ohms across the full frequency range.

The reactives (Two Notes, Fryette, Suhr) are the pricey ones and don't have this problem (not entirely sure how it's achieved, though).

Another cheaper option is the Weber Mass. This has a speaker driver and coil inside, without the cone so it is presenting a 'real' speaker to the OT. I had one, and as a load box it was really good. I didn't really like the sound as an attenuator though. I once emailed Weber to ask if it could be used as a load box without a speaker attached (if it was turned to full attenuation) and they said it was OK. They turn up on eBay in Europe every now and again, but I bought mine direct from Weber in the US.

ME: LPC
    MB: Stingray 5
    Rig: Ooobershawl

Quote Originally Posted by petarkablam View Post
    It's safe. For less hum, zero out the Resonance and Presence, they aren't affecting the FX Send output on that amp. Any old resistive load will do, if you use the FX Send output. There will only be differences between loads, if you use the Speaker output.
    Fair point - if you're using the FX send then what matters is that the output trans has a load on it, but the type of load probably won't make too much difference to the feel. I would probably use the Torpedo Wall Of Sound plugin for the IRs with this setup - It's got a power amp emulator in there, so you would have the real pre-amp and digital poweramp/speakers.