Rivera Rock Crusher!???

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: Rivera Rock Crusher!???

ME: Warmoth Superstrat

Rivera Rock Crusher!???

I think these looks good to have. I wanna tweak my own sounds. The Kemper is nice but I wanna tweak my amp settings myself. Tweaking in the Kemper isn't really the same thing.

Most metal profiles comes with way too much gain anyway, making it hard to make them sound good on fast 16th notes.

Would Rock Crusher be a good idea?! Anyody tried them?!!!

ME: JS2000/Warmoth
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SRC6
    Rig: Mesa ROV25+V:25+Mesa Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    I think these looks good to have. I wanna tweak my own sounds. The Kemper is nice but I wanna tweak my amp settings myself. Tweaking in the Kemper isn't really the same thing.

Most metal profiles comes with way too much gain anyway, making it hard to make them sound good on fast 16th notes.

Would Rock Crusher be a good idea?! Anyody tried them?!!!
    Soopamahn has one, and I've used one quite a bit. It's a good device. Do you need the attenuation? If not, a Suhr Reactive Load would be a good option too.
    Disclaimer: I work ultra part-time for a local music gear dealer

Well, they cost about the exact same price, so if the Rock Crusher has some extra features, I would take that. I don't think I would use the attenuator much, but who knows if I one day just fucking have to have an attenuator; then I would bash my head for not getting the Rivera.

Unless the Suhr actually has better sound or something like that. But I cannot imagine any of these units to have shitty sound.

Does anybody know how different do they sound, really? I have not seen any comparisons of these units on youtube or anywhere else...
    Last edited by Rocka_Rollas; 10-10-2016 at 08:35 PM.

ME: Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul
    MB: Les Paul
    Rig: Mini Rec

No need to look further than the Rock Crusher, Rocka Rolla.

Any attenuator changes the sound of your amp, but the Rock Crusher maintains the overall tone and feel very well, and the EQ switches help with the treble and bass bleed that come with heavy attenuation. You can take a 100W amp all the way down to whisper volume - as in, easy to hold a conversation over. Mine is on almost 100% of the time, at least knocking 3-6 dB off the top so I can crack my Mini Rec open a tiny bit without upsetting the wife.

The direct out does not have any "mic sims," that is, equalization, so if you want to record direct then you need to do some processing in your DAW or throw a 10-band EQ in series after the Rock Crusher.

The price is also quite reasonable and the build quality is tops.
    Making metal every night and day.

ME: JS2000/Warmoth
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SRC6
    Rig: Mesa ROV25+V:25+Mesa Cab

Well, they cost about the exact same price, so if the Rock Crusher has some extra features, I would take that. I don't think I would use the attenuator much, but who knows if I one day just fucking have to have an attenuator; then I would bash my head for not getting the Rivera.

Unless the Suhr actually has better sound or something like that. But I cannot imagine any of these units to have shitty sound.

Does anybody know how different do they sound, really? I have not seen any comparisons of these units on youtube or anywhere else...
    The Rivera and Suhr are both reactive, so I think you'd be splitting hairs. They're probably only about 1mm off of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    The Rivera and Suhr are both reactive, so I think you'd be splitting hairs. They're probably only about 1mm off of each other.
    I read this in another forum:

"One thing I noticed right off the bat was that when you look at the waveforms in pro tools with the Suhr, they are not anywhere near as compressed as they were with the Rivera. The actually correspond exactly to how hard or soft you are playing, vs. with the Rivera where it was all pretty much the same, or pretty compressed. The Suhr really does seem to react and feel like a real amp, and it is a blast to play. Combined with the ownhammer IR's, which to me sound better than the 2 notes IR's I had previously bought, this is a very nice solution if you want to record real guitar amps in 100% silence. Build quality on the Suhr seems very good."

That seems like a difference worth knowing about.

There's not a lot of clips online with Suhr Reactive, but this one sounded great, so I think I can go with this one, especially if the waveforms are more dynamic like above post.

But fuck this guitarist, he makes me feel like a super shitty guitar player in comparison

This sounds kinda cool too. But man, are this guys drum loops doofy

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

I read this in another forum:

"One thing I noticed right off the bat was that when you look at the waveforms in pro tools with the Suhr, they are not anywhere near as compressed as they were with the Rivera. The actually correspond exactly to how hard or soft you are playing, vs. with the Rivera where it was all pretty much the same, or pretty compressed. The Suhr really does seem to react and feel like a real amp, and it is a blast to play. Combined with the ownhammer IR's, which to me sound better than the 2 notes IR's I had previously bought, this is a very nice solution if you want to record real guitar amps in 100% silence. Build quality on the Suhr seems very good."

That seems like a difference worth knowing about.
    As a bit of a Suhr fanboi, I'd REALLY want to see that confirmed by a couple other guys before I'd take that at face value. That seems both kind of implausible, and considering that the "reactive" load is more about how the amp feels than about power output, it doesn't even really make sense to me.

That said, this is also reminding me that while my THD Hot Plate has served me well for years, it probably wouldn't hurt to upgrade to a reactive attenuator.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace