Working On A Mix Template For My Band's Next EP

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Working On A Mix Template For My Band's Next EP

ME: USA Strat/LP, TAM10
    MB: Ibanez SR305
    Rig: Randall Satan

Working On A Mix Template For My Band's Next EP

After two EP's and an album my band is trying to have our next release not sound like the previous ones. Our writing style isn't changing that much but we wanted something different sonically. I just finished a track that's still pretty rough and doesn't have vocals or leads yet and the drums are pretty generic for right now. Just wanted to get an opinion on the overall sound of the mix. You guys always give good feedback, thanks!

ME: Legra Customs
    MA: Victor Garcia
    MB: Legra Spyder
    Rig: Pittbull CL/Triple Rec

Sounding good. Not what I'd have done,, all rather high-mid-forward for my personal taste but certainly very little actually wrong with it. Well done, in fact. Only pseudo-objective comment would be to work more power and punch into the drums, but you seem to know they're weak (the kick and bass in particular are fighting, which is par for the course of course).

I like the tune as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MDV View Post
    Sounding good. Not what I'd have done,, all rather high-mid-forward for my personal taste but certainly very little actually wrong with it. Well done, in fact. Only pseudo-objective comment would be to work more power and punch into the drums, but you seem to know they're weak (the kick and bass in particular are fighting, which is par for the course of course).

I like the tune as well.
    Thanks man. I think I went a little overboard in the 1k-5k range overall, I need to carve out some harsh stuff happening. Our previous releases have been pretty thick and darker mixes so I might have over compensated a bit when trying to change up our sound this time around.

Another thing is the overall low end of the mix will be much tighter for the final mixes. I used my SR305 with stock pickups for this demo but my bass doesn't compare with our bassist's SR605 with Bartolini's... way more focused and tighter sounding. Thanks for the feedback!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

I';ve never gotten the point of a "template" over and above just getting all of your routing sorted out in advance. I can't see using the same settings for every single song in a project, and that not causing problems SOMEWHERE.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I';ve never gotten the point of a "template" over and above just getting all of your routing sorted out in advance. I can't see using the same settings for every single song in a project, and that not causing problems SOMEWHERE.
    This. If I'm using the same drums, bass rig, guitar rig, vocal mic, etc. I'll usually save plugin settings as I go to have a solid starting point and some consistency, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by eleven59 View Post
    This. If I'm using the same drums, bass rig, guitar rig, vocal mic, etc. I'll usually save plugin settings as I go to have a solid starting point and some consistency, but that's about it.
    I can see the value in creating a tracking template, where you have your drums/drum synth pre-routed and pre-bussed, your rhythm guitars pre-bussed and (especially if you're tracking with multiple mics) the correct mic inputs pre-selected and ready to arm, etc, and to be honest now that I'm almost always tracking both a SM57 and a MD421 I've been meaning to do this, create a template with Superior saved in multiout mode to separate tracks and bussed together, and with two tracks each for L and R rhythm guitars as well as a two track bus for the eventual lead track, since virtually every song I work on will have at least these instruments, and right now creating a guitar track is a matter of adding two tracks, selecting two different mic inputs, and then adding a third and bussing them both into that.

But, a template with effect presents pre-loaded with the idea being most of the mix will be dropping the tracks into the template? That just seems like a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    and to be honest now that I'm almost always tracking both a SM57 and a MD421 I've been meaning to do this, create a template with Superior saved in multiout mode to separate tracks and bussed together, and with two tracks each for L and R rhythm guitars as well as a two track bus for the eventual lead track, since virtually every song I work on will have at least these instruments, and right now creating a guitar track is a matter of adding two tracks, selecting two different mic inputs, and then adding a third and bussing them both into that.
    You're doing what I'm doing. Not every guitar lead will have the same effect for example, I'm just wanting the mixes to sound cohesive on the EP.

So, if this is a template in the sense that everything's pre-bussed, and not in the sense that you're saving effects and presents, what exactly are we listening for here? I'm confused.