Need advice on getting set up to record (500-600 USD budget) - Page 4

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Need advice on getting set up to record (500-600 USD budget)

ME: Legra Customs
    MA: Victor Garcia
    MB: Legra Spyder
    Rig: Pittbull CL/Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I TOTALLY said that wrong.

Neither is common in a studio setting as a vocal mic. SM57s however are ubiquitous. Sorry if that wasn't clear from the context!
    This is pretty true.

Studios will pretty much always have at least one 58 for vocals, but they don't see that much action. The SM7b is the the studio as the 58 is to the stage, for vocals.

The US presidential mic kit is SM57s though

(Or it was last I noticed)

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Quote Originally Posted by MDV View Post
    The US presidential mic kit is SM57s though

(Or it was last I noticed)
    Actually, I've been meaning to look into this again - last time I actually consciously noticed what mic Trump was talking into, it was a pair of something that didn;t look all that much like a SM57. As a guy with an interest in audio engineering AND in politics, I'm wondering if it was a conscious choice now that the SM57 is made in Mexico. I meant to look into it, then promptly forgot.

EDIT - I suppose this could be a SM57 with an elaborate pop/wind filter over it, but it looks kind of shiny (spoilered to not take up a ton of space for anyone who doesn't care):
    Spoiler

"They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

https://www.theverge.com/2017/1/25/1...eck-shure-sm57

Looks like I was at least sort of not wrong - no word on what the replacement mic IS, but he broke from the pair of SM57s on the lectern in fgavor of a close-mic right in front of him.

I totally missed the last page of posts in the thread and have since made the purchases in the OP

I did end up experimenting with free VSTs for guitar and drums, and made an effort to compare them fairly (because saving money is great).

I ran the guitar VSTs through some DIs I had recorded in Reaper, and also listened to a bunch of Youtube comparisons blind (writing down which sounds I preferred in order as they came up). I was pretty consistently able to pick Bias as my favorite in the blind tests, and it also had my favorite high-gain sound of the sims I tried in Reaper. I did figure out a couple things while doing this: If Bias didn't exist I probably would have stuck with free sims because Poulin+a decent cab impulse runs circles around everything else I tried, and Overloud TH3 was consistently pretty amazing sounding in the comparisons I listened to and if it was cheaper than 250 I might have gone that direction. Given that Bias FX is only 60 bucks (I looked at Pro and decided I'd only really miss the Big Muff model), this seemed like a no-brainer to me.

My free drum experiments went very poorly. I think I could have figured out manual drum programming and how to tweak samples to make them sound better in a metal mix, but EZDrummer's UI was appealing in streamlining that process. I've been playing around with it tonight and being able to slap down cool beats with a decent mix and tweak them intuitively has been much more inspiring for playing and writing than the free VSTs were, and I figure a purchase which leads to more writing and playing time is A+ (even if it was expensive as shit).

I kinda wish I'd seen the stuff about the 57 as I'd have gone that direction over the 58 (the arguments seem solid, other than the current President using it ), but I ended up asking a friend's dad who runs a recording studio and he said grab the 58 as it's a no-brainer for harsh vocals on the cheap.

The interface I was torn on - I looked at stuff from Steinberg, Tascam, and Presonus, and I'd have probably considered the Zoom posted here also had I seen it, but they all had one thing or another that turned me off of them and the Focusrite's free monthly plugins were a big draw. It's way less noisy than what I was using, and with the gain at 10 o'clock it doesn't clip even if I'm slamming open chords way harder than I would normally.

I know it's probably irritating having someone post asking for advice and then seeming like they ignored it, but I definitely made an effort to listen to everything mentioned here, directly compared stuff as best as I could, and made much more informed purchasing decisions as a result. Thanks to everyone who posted.

No worries - now, go have fun!