Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EQ Guide/Cheat Sheet

ME: JS2000/Warmoth
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SRC6
    Rig: ROV25+V:35->Mesa Cabs

EQ Guide/Cheat Sheet

The Ultimate EQ Cheat Sheet for Every Common Instrument

I guess someone else could verify the accuracy, since I'm no guru. But perhaps it'll be helpful for someone.
    Disclaimer: I work ultra part-time for a local music gear dealer. And as a male plus-sized model for mankinis.

2. Thanked by:

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

*adjusts glasses* You know, there's no one-size fits all when it comes to EQing and mixing... *proceeds to explain how all the settings listed are wrong*
    Argbadh - RHLCİ

ME: Ibanez RG2550E
    MB: Spector NS2000Q4
    Rig: Dual Rectifier (Reborn)

I really hate stuff like this It gets you into using your eyes, not your ears. I'm not going to comment on whether it's right or wrong, because it's too subjective to be either, and too broad. I guess it can be of aid if you're really stumped for what you should be listening for, or where to start, but definitely shouldn't be used as any kind of go-to guide when you're trying to mix something. It's a kind of read-it-once then go "ah ok, gotcha" kinda thing, when you're an absolute novice, but beyond that I think it can be a bit of a trap, and not conducive to gaining the skill of using your ears.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    *adjusts glasses* You know, there's no one-size fits all when it comes to EQing and mixing... *proceeds to explain how all the settings listed are wrong*
    Basically.

I won't nit-pick much, beyond a couple super quick observations:

* the 200-600k range they describe as "overtones" on bass is also the range that the bi-amped bass approach, low-passing the DI around 250hkz and smashing with a compressor, and hi-passing and amping/distorting another version around 600hz and blending the two to taste, is designed to pretty much annihilate this entire range in a metal mix. Admittedly, that's probably the point; you're not going for a rich, full, complex robust bass tone, so much as a steady-state fundamental with some snarly attack to it to support the guitar tone.

*1k to 2k is actually a range I find myself giving a slight boost to a lot on leads, maybe 1.8k to 2.2k, as a db or two here seems to help them cut through a bit better. Then again, I write instrumental rock, so I tend to treat my lead guitars more like a vocal than like a guitar. I'd also argue that the "300 to 1,000 - 'Life' range" is obscenely broad, and is another area where in metal you're more likely to see some cutting, commentary here not withstanding - perhaps 400 to 600, somewhere in there, sweeping around a couple db notch cut filter can clean up the guitars a bit and make things sound a little less boxy, I guess. In a blues/rock context, however, there's a lot of valuable low-mid thickness here that you may instead like.

Idunno. This is maybe mostly useful in identifying the frequency ranges where particular sorts of energy can be found. Where this, and a lot of other guides, often go wrong is proposing specific actions to optimize them, whereas so much of what you do in a particular mix is going to be driven both by 1) genre conventions, and 2) what everything else in the mix is doing. I could see this being pretty useful if you stop reading after it explains what's going on, and ignore anything about what you should do there.

EDIT - also, relatedly, I could see it being an interesting experience to periodically pull up an old mix and start from scratch on your EQ changes, but intentionally do the exact reverse of what your normal approach might be, just to see what it sounded like and force you to do some different things. Ideally, the results should be pretty awful, but if they're not, well, there may be lessons to be learned there.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: 97' Jackson DXMG
    Rig: Atomic Amplifire

I'm pretty shit at mixing myself but I'm getting better and learning to use my ears more, instead of going for a certain EQ curve look. I understand the intent of the guide; it gives you a ballpark association of certain sound characteristics, which is fine. Sadly, many people (ESPECIALLY youngsters) will simply refuse to use their ears and rely on visuals and arbitrary frequency bands. This way of thinking plagues "modern ""metal""" bands in particular, because they just want presets for basically everything. preset guitar tones, bass tones, drum sounds, EQ, Mastering, etc. I've heard so so many honky, muddy mixes because they heard their favorite engineer do something, and imitated to a T.

ME: UV777P, DC700
    Rig: Kemper

Take these with a grain of salt.

Fastest way to level up your mixing would be to join Nail The Mix, even if it's just for a couple months. It's pretty amazing. You get access to actual professionally recorded track to mix on your own and then you get to see in great detail how the mix engineer mixed the final version of the song.

You get to learn tricks and tips and also get to really hear how well recorded tracks should sound like in their raw form.
    Current Project: Ezerath [Progressive Death Metal] www.facebook.com/Ezerath https://soundcloud.com/horussound_jeremy

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Seems like there are some good starting points there, and the author isn't really telling you what to do, just where to find certain things.

To me, mixing is essentially an "after-the-fact song arrangement" by trying to carve out sonic space for instruments. The better you plan your arrangements ahead of time, the easier your mixes will be and the more you can just let the instruments' natural sound stay relatively unaltered. Bass guitar is probably the biggest exception to that, since it's always going to pile up with kick drums and the low end of a distorted rhythm guitar.

ME: Legra Customs
    MA: Victor Garcia
    MB: Legra Spyder
    Rig: Pittbull CL/Triple Rec

Aside from me disagreeing with a huge part of it, if you want to learn to EQ, you need to learn to listen, and learn how to use a fucking EQ. It's not just settings. There are processes and techniques.