Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Fucking hell, Ubuntu has come a long way.

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  noodles 
#1 ·
After a 5 year period of not running any linux-distro apart from the old slackware server, I found out it was time to check out what was on offer for the desktop. And I have to say I'm really pleased with the quality of Ubuntu.
I'm running an Intel Q6700 w 8gb ram and a radeon 4870x2 and everything is running flawless with compiz-fusion @1920x1200.

I think it's time to finally ditch M$ altogether. FINALLY!

#3 ·
I'm experimenting with wine as we speak. I'll let you know if those are compatible. and there's quite a few really good sequencers out there. and with alsa/jack there's virtually no latency either.
Rosegarden is supposed to be very good

#4 ·
There's always the alternatives, TuxGuitar will open and edit Guitar Pro files. It aint the best, but it works well enough. I think it will work with PowerTab files too.

Also, Ardour is quite a good DAW now. I didn't like it much the first few times I tried it, but now I think its come a long way.

Still, the choice out there isn't the greatest (it'd be nice to be able to have preferences about recording software, rather than the defacto Linux DAW), but in a pinch it should be cool :)

#5 ·
powertab seems to be working in wine, I got it stable after a bit of tinkering.
I'm not an advanced user of recording software, going to check out Ardour
but i really liked rosegarden. The biggest loss using linux though, will probably be
the lack of vst's. Couldn't find any support when i searched for it.

#9 ·
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

MetalKen said:
As soon as i can find a way to run certain windows software (Ie, Powertab/guitarpro, recording software, etc), i'd love to ditch windows.
Guitarpro runs flawlessly under wine on ubuntu for me. Recording software, not so much

#11 ·
I'm running Ubuntu right now on my Netbook. I also have XP on this machine too. XP kills Ubuntu in battery life and software - but the overall experience on Ubuntu for me is much more enjoyable on this netbook than XP is. I like having two workspaces (because I'm used to having 2 monitors), and the notification applet that tells me when I have new twitter posts, new facebook posts, and IMs is nice because everything routs through the same notifications. I still prefer using windows 7 on the desktop, but really enjoy Ubuntu on the netbook.

...But as I said, if they could get that extra hour or two of battery life XP has over it, it'll be perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.