Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Building a whole new pedalboard... help?

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  ConnorGilks 
#1 ·
Hey guys! So I've been running my AxeFX rig for a while now and love it to death, but with all the pedals I still owned (let's just say it's more than a few...) and my Blackstar HT-20 head, I wanted a cab. That way I can have a classic amp/cab/pedals setup at home. Anyways, I want to design a new pedalboard. I've got some pedals I'll be keeping, but mostly looking to buy new ones.

What I Have:
PolyTune, ISP Decimator G String, Visual Sound Double Trouble Overdrive, Boss SD-1, TC Electronic Nova Delay.

What I Need:
Compressor (Keeley?), Chorus, Reverb (Neunaber WET probably, want something very ambient and textural. Maybe a Line 6 Echo Park for shimmer too?), Boost, another Noise Gate.

What should I look for? I play a lot of progressive metal/hard rock/punk, but for hard rock and punk I've pretty much got the sounds I need. I just want to focus on the progressive metal/djent sounds, and my clean tones. Thanks for your help! P.S. Feel free to toss out any other ideas for effects, I'm always up for trying something new.

#2 ·
I would add a wah and volume pedals, but other than that, you're set. Mine is currently…

guitar
Boss NS-2
Polytune
DOD Envelope filter
DOD Milkbox compressor
MaxonOD808 (modded)
Boss DD-3
Morley Volume Plus
Morley Tremonti Wah

#4 ·
I would add a wah and volume pedals, but other than that, you're set. Mine is currently…

guitar
Boss NS-2
Polytune
DOD Envelope filter
DOD Milkbox compressor
MaxonOD808 (modded)
Boss DD-3
Morley Volume Plus
Morley Tremonti Wah
Thanks man. I don't use Wah at all, can't stand it, but am thinking about possibly getting a volume pedal.

Can I ask about your modded 808 and how you like the NS-2?

#3 ·
You don't really need the compressor or second noise gate. You can djent without them.

If you want a decent general-use pedal that'll do everything from compression to chorus to shimmer reverb, check out the Line 6 M5 I just posted in the FS section.

#5 ·
Other cool options are these Mooer pedals, which are miniature clones of a lot of popular ones.

You'll see the Tube Screamer, OCD, Phase 90, CE-2, and AD9 clones, as well as a RAT, PS-2, Blues Driver, and many others. I have a Big Muff clone by them and it's pretty authentic. I want to grab the CE-2 clone too.

Mooer Audio Products - Prymaxe Vintage

#6 ·
Had the Maxon modded by Joe Bodenhammer, but he's long since disappeared. I think he switched out a few caps (went to larger values IIRC) to get a deeper response. Sounds fuller than most OD's I've heard. Stock was great, modded is greater.

The NS-2, so far, is pretty solid. Much better than the Rocktron Hush pedal it replaced!

The Volume Plus is pretty cool, too…

#7 ·
If I were going to buy a crazy effect though, it would be the Earthquake Devices Organizer. Seriously, watch the video. It's AWESOME.

#8 ·
Josh: Yeah I've been checking out the Chappers demo of the Mooer stuff and am really impressed with the phaser and delay especially, but their whole lineup is great. I can already djent without those things, but I just want to refine that tone more, to make it just a tad closer to what I hear with my AxeFX II (just a bit tighter and more compressed so the notes "pop" more). That Organizer is WICKED too!!

Leon: Thanks man, will check out the Morley stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.