Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Best States/towns/cities to be in for a metal band trying to get recognized?

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Soopahmahn 
#1 ·
Where is the best places to be as a metal band when it comes to getting recognized and being successful? I know that if your good enough you could be successful anywhere but here in South Dakota really isn't cutting it, lol. My band truly does have the potential but really just needs guided to the right area. if that area exists?:metal:

#10 ·
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:)

You won't get discovered in one city anymore. You need to tour. Start local, and move out from there a bit at a time. Metal labels want to see that you're self-sustaining and able to tour. Once you've built up a reputation and following on your own, try to get opening spots for bigger acts so that those bands and their management, etc, might notice, and maybe invite you out on a tour. (This is all advice from a Roadrunner rep who was taking interest my old band before we train wrecked ourselves, and from watching my friends who got themselves signed to Roadrunner, who were later mishandled by the label and their celebrity manager, and dropped from both)

#14 ·
:agreed:

Being able to produce well is a huge advantage in this market. If you can't record well, pay somebody that can do it well. Also, people like to see mixed media, so film some nice play-through videos and such. You have to market fairly well before touring so that people actually come to see you play.

But remember, there is a fine line between marketing and spam.

Just to expand further on the mixed media thing. People have short attention spans now, so you need a combination of art and video to go along with your music. Think about offering an artistic and entertaining "package", not just songs. There are seemingly millions of metal bands, try to make yourself stand out.

As far as videos go, I made a couple of teaser videos, and I think a similar approach would benefit you. Keep in mind that mine are poorly made, but I am not trying to "make it". You should have better music production, better film quality, and a room setup for filming (neutral background, great light).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.