Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Noodles

Votes: 13 40.6%

Next Build Poll.....

Tags
build poll
3K views 41 replies 21 participants last post by  jaxnrr1 
#1 ·
So I have all the hardware I need, a warmoth Pro neck with rosewood board, original floyd in black and of course pickups I have a plenty. So all I need is the body.... I have always wanted a star body but never played one and just curious of those that have are they comfy?

Next up is wood choice, I have the following guitars I will be keeping.
  1. 1978 Gibson Les Paul Custom which of course is Mahogany/Maple Body and Maple Neck/ebony board
  2. Gibson MIII made of Mahogany body with floyd and All Maple Set neck
  3. Warmoth Strat with floyd with Alder Body/All Maple Neck
  4. Fender MIM made of Poplar Body/Maple Neck Rosewood Fret board
  5. PRS custom Made of Mahogany/Maple body and Mahogany neck/rosewood Fret board
  6. Aria Pro II Cardinal series Custom made of maple Body/neck with Rosewood fret board

I have most of the bases covered, so I was thinking either Swamp Ash or Black Korina or White Korina, by the description I believe both Korinas sound the same, what do you guys suggest? Pro's and Con's? Keep in mind this will be an all around guitar for rhythm and and soloing.

See less See more
#4 ·
Listen Guys, Noodles will get very upset when I shove that guitar neck into his ass, so lets not try to let him be the body of choice!!! :eek:

Some of the reading I have been doing says swamp ash tend to have the mids cut a little, where the Korina is like Mahogany but with more mids. I do like mids, but I also owned an older ESP that was ash and that guitar sounded great...

swamp ash is the king of guitar body materials. no joke.

my strat is swamp ash, my straight fretted 8 is swamp ash. the guitars just have a great clarity and snap to them.
I did own a explorer once, I did not mind it, but I felt like James and had the urge to get drunk and harass Jason Newsted all the time.

Swamp ash. Also, a star hangs like an explorer on a strap, so pretty different from a strat or Paul. I like mine, but I don't like strats....

#6 ·
Swamp Ash for sure. This G&L I just got is my first ever Swamp Ash guitar and it's fucking incredible. :agreed:

#11 ·
Stars are comfy as fuck. By far the comfiest shape in fact. They hang like a Rhoads and when you sit with them they lock down perfectly in classical position. In fact, anything that meets your forearm in the fashion of a V/Explorer/Rhoads is far comfier for rhythms than rounder, less awesome shapes and it will make your playing better. Scientific fact.

Ash is indeed the body wood of kings. I had a Jackson Stealth Pro with it a while back, one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played.

Also, pictures of the MIII please. Original I presume? Not a reissue?

#42 ·
My big issue with Swamp Ash guitars is that most manufacturers load them down with so much grain filler and finish that they hardly take advantage of the glorious qualities of the wood. It always seems to cut all the upper mid bite out of it. just my opinion. And from experience, just hope you get a light piece of it. I've got a Jaguar body cut out of it, and even with the floyd route, that guitar was over 13 pounds when finished. Ask Mike how heavy that thing was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.