MA: Martin DC-1E
    MB: Warwick Corvette
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL
    Member Number: 1
    XBL: CQ7String777

Microsoft Unveils Windows 8

In all it's absurd, useless glory.

Microsoft unveils a radically redesigned Windows 8 - Sep. 13, 2011

Windows 8 has a completely new visual interface, optimized for touchscreens on mobile devices like tablets.

The result is a computer that operates as a kind of hybrid PC and media tablet, with all the functions of a standard PC operating system but the user experience of a tablet.
    Attn Developers: I do not want my PC to be a fucking tablet. They are different. Just because people buy lots of smartphones doesn't mean that I want to poke my monitor to send an email.

Just give me Service Pack 4 for XP and I'll be happy with it, for crying out loud.

Member Number: 106
    Steam: Paris Hilton

I'm really on the fence about this one.

It seems like more of a "dynamic widget" interface, but I still prefer just basic icons (and lots of 'em!) on a desktop. I know there are some people who prefer none at all.

There's got to be more going on with it (and I think I had read somewhere eluding to the fact that there is) because an operating system mainly based off of an interface like this just isn't going to cut it.

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    MB: Warwick Corvette
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL
    Member Number: 1
    XBL: CQ7String777

OSX's Spotlight (and, admittedly, Win7's clone version of it) is a much faster way of launching apps than clicking giant widgetized icons. If I want to run outlook, for example, I hit command-space, type the first two characters, and hit enter. I don't move my hands from the keyboard at all.

THAT kind of productivity is what I like. I liked it in the old versions of the MS toolbars (before motherfucking Ribbon), because I had shitloads of common keyboard shortcuts down. If I was sending an email, and wanted to insert my signature it was alt-I/S/D (Insert, Sig, Default). In apps like Notepad, where Ctrl-S wasn't available for quick-save, Alt-F/S would do it. Etc, etc.

If I have to move the mouse around, it just takes time. It sounds silly, but it adds up, and breaks the rhythm of whatever it is you're doing. I don't want to have to hunt around for wherever M$ decides to "organize" the new features - I just want them quickly accessible and out of the way otherwise. I've run Office 2011 for a year now and I still for the life of me can never find the digitally sign/encrypt options when I look for them, because MS decided that Print and Attach A Picture!! were things that people in businesses would use more than encryption and PKI. It's fucking stupid.

The PC/Tablet hybrid thing is just not going to work. It's a neat idea, they should roll out a full fledged Microsoft iPad ripoff and put this on it. It'd probably be pretty cool if I could run any Windows app on it, especially the mapping software and shit that I use for work.

I don't need a weather widget that takes up 10% of my desktop, or a stock widget. Or a list of recently used shit in case I want to save time by clicking a shortcut to a file I edited 3 hours ago. Make it clean and efficient, and I will use the shit out of it. That's why I run OSX now. It's not perfect, but it's a fuckload better than any alternative.

ME: Frankencaster
    MA: Alvarez
    MB: Ibanez Cheapo 9000
    Rig: Chameleon 2000 & 2/90/2
    Member Number: 45
    XBL: zepp10
    Steam: zepp88

This is such a terrible idea

I hope this kills the Windows brand.

ME: Ibanez S540LTD
    MA: Taylor Big Baby
    Rig: Laney GH50L
    Member Number: 50
    XBL: Dropbear Reaper
    PSN: ibznorange
    Steam: ibznorange

Nah dude gonna be flawless. SO FUCKING AWESOME. put it on my xbox
    R.I.P. Guitars Etc
    RHLC Chief Promotions Officer

ME: Frankencaster
    MA: Alvarez
    MB: Ibanez Cheapo 9000
    Rig: Chameleon 2000 & 2/90/2
    Member Number: 45
    XBL: zepp10
    Steam: zepp88

A company that has never innovated anything for their entire existence is now desperately trying to, and holy shit are they failing

ME: Schecter Loomis ToM
    Rig: Randall RM100
    Member Number: 46
    XBL: Nekomancer84
    PSN: Wufl
    Steam: Wulfman15

I really like what i'm seeing so far. I don't like the tablet interface, but that can be easily switched off and put back to a normal Win7 style desktop(although it's slightly revamped), so I have absolutely no problem with it.

I love Win7 on both my laptop and my desktop, and this is looking to be even better than that. I don't miss XP one bit.

Seems to be pretty good on start-up time too. Lowell from How To Geek can cold start up in 10 seconds on his junky old Dell laptop with Win8.
    Medicine Chief - RHLC

ME: ESP Maverick
    MB: ESP Horizon 5
    Rig: Randall V2
    Member Number: 27
    XBL: yuecchi
    PSN: enthauptet
    Steam: enthauptet

"Developer Preview" is out Metro style app development