Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Finding a guitar that you jive with...

ME: Ibanez S670
    MA: Carvin Cobalt
    Member Number: 35

Finding a guitar that you jive with...

How many of you have *that* guitar? The one that you'll never sell? How did you come across it, or find out what you wanted in your guitar if its a custom?

Post pictures of yours.

Sad thing is, I could sell my whole rig down to my pick, and not feel an ounce of remorse.
    UNSCARED

The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself J.S. Mill

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will Vince Lombardi

Obsessed, is the word lazy people use to describe the dedicated Russel Warren

Member Number: 106

My PRS Custom 22.

ME: Gibson + PRS
    Rig: JCM800/5150
    Member Number: 69

I thought my Gibson LP studio was a never-sell guitar. It's been gone for two years.

The only guitar that I've gotten and not sold yet is my Squier strat that I started on. I don't ever *want* to sell my custom singlecut though - I spent a lot of money on guitars I wouldn't have bought if I had kept it. The one-of-a-kind factor helps!

The Singlecut blends what I liked about various guitars: PRS scale length, superstrat Maple neck, Gibson profile neck, PRS tummy cut, neck-thru style heel, Gibson maple top, Gibson trapezoid inlays.

(pre chrome rings)
    Last edited by budda; 03-09-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Safet's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    MB: Warwick Corvette
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL
    Member Number: 1

iPhone pic again, but of all the guitars that I own, these three are my favorites.

L: Carvin CS4
    M: Ancient Ibanez EZ
    R: RG550

The Carvin is the best playing, best sounding guitar that I've ever owned. I've only played a few that keep up with it. It's absolutely fantastic, and it's what I reach for about 90% of the time. From a player's perspective, this is my favorite.

The EX, however, is "that guitar" for me. I bought it with my paper route money when I was 13, traded it in at Daddy's Junky Music when I was about 15, and then found it again (the very same guitar) when I was 17 and have never let it go since. It's absolutely amazing, it sounds like nothing else. It's the combo of huge sentimental value + really unique sounding guitar. If my house caught on fire, the EX is the only one I'd run back in for. In all my years playing, I've probably logged more time on this one than all of my other guitars combined. It's worth absolutely nothing to anyone but me, but honestly if someone offered me ten grand for it, I'd turn them down. it has a BFGoodrich sticker on it that I put on there when I was 15, that reminds me of old friends and good times. It's a piece of my life, so to speak.

The RG550 is both one of the nicest Ibanez's I've ever played, and one of the nicest things that a relative stranger has ever done for me. I "knew" Mike online and we hung out once or twice before he refinished it for me, but the amount of work that he put into it combined with how fantastic it sounds - I'll never let it go.

ME: Ibby CST,CT,UV pwh
    MA: Ibby CST w/piezo
    Rig: Axe fx II
    Member Number: 791

Has to be my RG7620. I bought it for $300 and it has been my playground into learning everything I know about guitars. How to tear em apart, set them up, adjust this, tweak that. and it was my introduction into the world of mods....and it's not done, next up, a real 1/4" maple cap! Out of all the 7's, this one I consider "bullet proof". It absolutely refuses to go out of tune, no matter if it's sitting in it's case, or hanging on the wall with the others.

to this...

to this...on the left..
    Guitars are like pringles....You can never have just one!

ME: Buckethead Les Paul
    MA: Washburn
    Rig: Titan Custom
    Member Number: 8

Man, I ain't found shit. Couple of really close calls but obviously nothing I could live without. I'm digging the Carvins but again, they are really nothing I could live without. The one that I kind of regret selling was the black RG1077XL.

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30
    Member Number: 99

My #1 is a Warmoth that Lee gave me.

Dunno how or why, but it just sounds *awesome.* Plays great too.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

ME: Stuff
    MB: More Stuff
    Rig: Extra Stuff
    Member Number: 186

Quote Originally Posted by TMatt142 View Post
    Has to be my RG7620. I bought it for $300 and it has been my playground into learning everything I know about guitars. How to tear em apart, set them up, adjust this, tweak that. and it was my introduction into the world of mods....and it's not done, next up, a real 1/4" maple cap! Out of all the 7's, this one I consider "bullet proof". It absolutely refuses to go out of tune, no matter if it's sitting in it's case, or hanging on the wall with the others.

I was reading your post, nodding, saying to myself, 'yeah, that's the 7620, alright. Always a killer guitar', and then I scrolled down.

Holy shitballs have you done some work on that! The inbetween yellow looked great. Was it a matte finish? And now....now it's a different story. The cap looks fantastic, and particularly lavish on the headstock

You don't want to tackle relpacing the fretboard? Offset dots on that would look great. Oh, and that JPM control layout is the best layout on an RG, hands down.