20 years since Tyson - Douglas

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: 20 years since Tyson - Douglas

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rectifier

20 years since Tyson - Douglas

I watched this fight, I was about 11 years old and was totally expecting to see Tyson slay this guy in the first round like he did with everybody. IIRC they had trouble selling tickets for this fight b/c a lot of people felt the same way, thinking they wouldn't get their money's worth paying full price for a quick fight.

Boy were they wrong. I've never been a huge fan of boxing, but this was by far one of the most interesting and shocking fights I've ever seen. On the link is a great video retrospective:

Jeremy Schaap: Busting the myths of Mike Tyson-Buster Douglas - ESPN

ME: Camo COW7
    Rig: Behringer GM108 15W

Thanks for sharing

Mike Tyson is one of my favorite sportsman, I've seen like 14 documentary films about him

The Industrialist

The documentary called "Tyson: The Movie" released last year is phenomenal - I heartily recommend it. It's about 90 minutes of interview with the man himself, talking about his career and other stuff. It gives a lot of perspective on some of the things the media have demonised him for (although he admits a lot of the time he was in the wrong...which is...well, obvious)

My mate lent it to me a month or so back and I still have it. I've watched it 2-3 times. I heartily recommend it.

Tyson admits that with the Buster-Douglas fight he was out of shape - he had been reckless with his training and spent most of his time drinking and fucking and smoking weed. He completely under-estimated the guy. At the same time though, if I recall, Buster-Douglas had lost his mother recently, like within days of the fight, so that might've spurred him on to do something in memory of her and give him that extra bit of determination.
    "I have two ambitions in life: one is to drink every pub dry, the other is to sleep with every woman on earth." - Oliver Reed

"America blaming BP for the oil spill is like a man punching a prostitute in the face because his own needs disgust him." - Stewart Lee