Reggie Bush to be stripped of Heismann

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reggie Bush to be stripped of Heismann

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

Reggie Bush to be stripped of Heismann

Report: Reggie Bush expected to be stripped of Heisman – This Just In - Blogs

ormer University of Southern California star running back Reggie Bush is expected to be stripped of the Heisman Trophy by the end of the month, Yahoo Sports is reporting.

Yahoo Sports cited two sources close to the Heisman trust, which oversees the award given to college football's top player, as saying the group is finishing its investigation into allegations of wrongdoing at USC during the 2005 season. The sources told Yahoo the Heisman trust will eventually rule it agrees with the NCAA's assessment that Reggie Bush would have been ineligible to play during 2005 - and therefore ineligible for the award.

The decision would make Bush the first player in the 75 years of the Heisman to be stripped of the title.

Sources told Yahoo the Heisman trust would strip Bush of the award and leave it vacant - instead of awarding it to another honoree like Texas quarterback Vince Young who finished second in the voting, but by a wide margin.

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|Überschall

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Or, possibly not: Heisman trust calls reports inaccurate

While I agree about his/USC's violations really casting a negative shadow on his time there, it doesn't take away the work he did on the field to deserve the trophy. Tough call.
    Last edited by Randy; 09-08-2010 at 02:59 PM.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Schecter Loomis 7
    Rig: Boss GT-8

Heisman Trusty-types, what’s your point?

I’m a Heisman voter, so shouldn’t I get a say in the matter? Instead of just choosing to take away an award that has already been handed out, at the very least, shouldn’t you allow us voters to do a revote and still leave Bush eligible?

At the time, I voted Bush first and Vince Young second, but I wrote several pieces suggesting the Heisman should be handed out after the bowl games so it goes to the right guy. Of course, after the scintillating performance to carry Texas for the national title, I would’ve voted for Young and he would’ve won in a walk, but that wasn’t the criteria at the time, and if we’re all suddenly these sticklers to uphold the rules and the laws, then Reggie Bush was, is, and always will be the 2005 Heisman Trophy winner.

So, again, what’s the point? Is the Heisman Trust trying to send a message to future players? Yeah, right, like some 19-year-old with no money and just enough of a sense of the hypocrisy surrounding his circumstances is going to pass up thousands of dollars and a sweet ride on the off chance that he might win the Heisman.

Bush isn’t getting punished. So he doesn’t have a trophy … whoop-dee-do. I’m sure he was really remorseful when he was banging his Super Bowl ring off of Kim Kardashian’s left butt cheek. He knows he was the best player in college football during the 2005 regular season, everyone who voted for him knows that, and history will always remember him for being the Heisman winner. It can’t just be taken away on a whim of pretentious morality.

Now, by not awarding the Heisman for that year, the powers-that-be are doing even more to highlight what he accomplished. Just like using F***, or saying “the N-word,” or H-E-double hockey sticks (yes, I’m going grandma on you), only makes things worse by calling attention to the offensive word you’re tiptoeing around, putting an asterisk or leaving a blank next to 2005 will only make people remember Bush that much more.

And no, this isn’t like putting an * next to Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, or Mark McGwire, or Lance Armstrong. If Bush had taken performance enhancing drugs or compromised the play on the field, then this would be a different story. Bush and USC were punished for violating a made-up NCAA rule, and there’s no reasonable or rational argument that can be made that what happened off the field won him the Heisman.

So what now, Heisman Trust? If you’re going to make a call like this, then can we also just assume that anyone from the old Southwest Conference, SEC, or really, at least half the former winner should probably lose the Heisman, too? Go down that list of past Heisman winners and you tell us who you’re 100% sure was clean as a whistle. Should we take away Eric Crouch’s Heisman for the ham sandwich incident? How about Matt Leinart’s award for the minor problems stemming from the apartment his dad set him up with? Bush taking money from a marketing company is evil, but O.J. is cool with you? Exactly where is your line drawn?

Heisman Trust, this was a chance to take a stand and be above the ridiculousness, and you blew it.
    The only proof he needed for the existance of God was music.
    Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Without music, life would be a mistake.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

x 1,000,000

Also, I 'd at the OJ part.

but he fucked kim k, hes a hero to so many

Bravo to Pete Fiutak for that rant. They can take away whatever trophies they want but anyone who say SC play during any of the 2004 or 2005 seasons knows they were a fucking powerhouse and that Bush owned that field when he got the ball. Those were, and most likely always will be, the best college football games I've ever been to. But I'm probably more than a little biased.

ME: Ibanez RG2027XVV
    MA: Ibanez AEL207E
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: GNX1101/Zoom A3