Metal Guitarist Forums banner

what are some of your cool experiments?

3K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  incarnate 
#1 ·
what new thing have u been working on. Im interested in seeing what cool new techniques u may be trying. :metal:

#6 ·
Nope, this will be my first. I've twiddled with pickup configs for a long time, so I'm fairly confident in my soldering skills, and thus also have a small understanding of schematics. I've got an EE buddy who's filling in some holes for me :)ugh:), but it's actually a pretty simple design. Just need to order parts and start piecing it together.

#13 ·
Actually spending more time learning songs than just building technique and experimenting with my own ideas. It's actually been a lot of fun.:)

#17 ·
wow I really need to check these more often. Ive been screwing around more with intervals, 1,2,6 played in a cynicy kind of way. Im also experimenting more with tuning.

as for technology wise i am going to put one dimarzio liquifire John petrucci humbucker and one bare knuckle pain killer humbucker in my old epiphone SG. just to see how they sound together.

#29 ·
Partial capos are awesome! Even the basic Shubb one is really inspiring once you get into it.:)

#30 ·
Been working on my sweep picking. I never really sat down and learned to do it, but the other guitarist in my band has been writing some sick sweeping parts recently, and it inspired me. Mostly I've been trying to get the intro to Smoke & Mirrors by Symphony X down, but it's slow going and I think maybe I should work on some 3 and 4 string sweeps first.

For whatever reason, I can sweep downward quickly without much problem, but it feels really awkward going up. No matter how I move my hand or hold the pick, I always kind of feel like I'm still picking the notes individually rather than letting the pick sweep through them. Guess I'll just keep plugging away.

#31 ·
@ variant
that thing is fucking awesome. I need t hear that beast some time.

@ distressed romeo and jdonegan
I need to start experimenting more with tuning and capos. any cool suggestions?

@ Hulk Krogan
I have been working on sweep picking myself and had the same problem at first. For me the problem was the way I held my pick. I realized that I bent it more going up than I did going down. maybe its that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.