Metal Guitarist Forums banner

A few recording questions...

3K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  Into_Oblivion 
#1 ·
When recording rhythm guitar parts ,do you guys ever record in separate takes, or do you do just a long take of the entire song?

Is there anyway in Reaper to smooth up the sound in between takes?

Also, when using EZdrummer in Reaper, how can I change the pitch of only my snare drum?

Thanks!

#2 ·
When recording rhythm guitar parts ,do you guys ever record in separate takes, or do you do just a long take of the entire song?
Takes galore. Unless you're a machine (or Ola) the odds of you getting a complete studio-ready take in one shot of an entire song are pretty slim.

Is there anyway in Reaper to smooth up the sound in between takes?
Not really, but if you nail the take, you shouldn't need to. Record in small sections at a time, nail it, then move on. If you have measures that repeat, you can copy/paste your best takes.

Also, when using EZdrummer in Reaper, how can I change the pitch of only my snare drum?Thanks!
I'm not sure you can with EZDrummer - I think that's a Superior only thing. (Don't quote me on that.)

#26 ·
Takes galore. Unless you're a machine (or Ola)
:agreed: ^This made me lol, but he is exactly right!
In fact, all of Chris's advice is spot on! :yesway:

Sometimes if you are lucky you can crossfade the different items/takes, so they flow together easier. You have to be lucky, and careful.

There is a lot of info in the reaper manual, which is a PDF on the reaper site, and it is over 400 pages long :flex:!

#3 ·

Yeah, I also like recording in many takes, because I can make sure the drums really match up well. But, an issue of mine is I have to click record and then start playing , and there's that fraction of a second it took me to start playing the riff after hitting record. I hope that makes sense.

#4 ·

Yeah, I also like recording in many takes, because I can make sure the drums really match up well. But, an issue of mine is I have to click record and then start playing , and there's that fraction of a second it took me to start playing the riff after hitting record. I hope that makes sense.
Right click the Metronome icon - you can set it to count in before recording. It'll automatically go back a measure or two (depending on your settings) and auto punch in for you. :yesway:

#9 ·
The thing about smoothing in between sections is that in an actual song there is no stopping, so you have to make sure that your not playing it like and "ending riff", so that it goes straight into the next riff. Once you get used to recording this will happen automatically, but it might help to play into the next section, it doesn't have to be clean or anything, just something so that it flows better.

#13 ·
Start the take where you want to record, have the metronome count you in two measures before recording, and then once it hits where the cursor is, it'll start recording.

If you really don't want to use a metronome to punch in (and honestly, you'll always have sloppy takes if you don't) you can set a time selection and set Reaper to auto punch in/out.

#20 ·
I am a very visual learner, so if I have problems while recording, I go to youtube to see if someone has posted a video teaching the aspects of recording that I want to learn. I rely on message boards too, but visual aids greatly help me. If I wasn't at work, the bastards block certain sites like youtube here at the hospital, I would post a video that might help better clarify some of the aspects of your question. However, I'm sure that you will be able to locate an instuctional video answering your questions if need be.

#30 ·
Not a compressor. Unless you want to smash the living shit out of it. Use compressor as gently as you can get away with, judged word by word and by its overall tonal effect. Do as much of the level treatment with automation as you can get away with.

Using a comp to bring down high vocal levels for entire phrases or words to the same as much quieter ones will just stamp the living shit out of the life and dynamics of the vocal.

Record sections you know are going to be very different levels seperately and in different tracks as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.