Metal Guitarist Forums banner

4x12 speakers: Celestion G12H30+V30 VS Eminence Swamp Thing+Governor

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Divebombs 
#1 ·
Anybody got some experience with these? I'm thinking about trying a new X-pattern in one of my 4x12.

I like the thump and loudness of the Celestion mix, but I heard the Eminence mix could do the same with less speaker breakup.

What about Celestion G12 65 or Greenbacks?

#2 ·
I personally don't think that mixing speakers is a good idea. You will be playing live at some point and they will only give you one mic so you will have a great in the room tone that you love but then only half of that will be communicated to the FOH.

I prefer Greenbacks for lower wattage amps. I havent used the eminence speakers you are asking about but in my experience, if you like celestions you wont like eminence speakers. There is just something about liking the character of one company over the other.

Also, as I mentioned in the last thread you had about speakers, they only way for you to find what you like is to go try it for yourself.

#4 ·
I've beed lusting for those speakers for so damn long but they are hard to find here. I heard they could handle bass like no other but some said they weren't as cutting as Greebacks per example. I guess I gotta try.

I personally don't think that mixing speakers is a good idea. You will be playing live at some point and they will only give you one mic so you will have a great in the room tone that you love but then only half of that will be communicated to the FOH.

I prefer Greenbacks for lower wattage amps. I havent used the eminence speakers you are asking about but in my experience, if you like celestions you wont like eminence speakers. There is just something about liking the character of one company over the other.

Also, as I mentioned in the last thread you had about speakers, they only way for you to find what you like is to go try it for yourself.
Well I don't mind that so much, I would get my favourite sounding speaker mic'ed. The whole point would be to have a cab that can sound good on it's own with a lot of "knock" that can fill up smaller rooms and not just be directional.

Talking about greenbacks, I used them in a friend's Avatar Trad 4x12(2xv30 and 2 greenbacks) with a 100watt head, and also a 200watts head (volume past half and cranked bass) and it really fills up the room better than a Mesa w/V30 or my VHT with P50s, impressive combo but I keep wondering if it's because Avatar cabs are awesome or because of the speakers. I'd order the same cab but it'd cost me way too much.

#5 ·
I guess we just have different live experiences. For every small to medium club here a 4x12 would be over kill. I have a few different 1x12 cabs that are loaded with different speakers and I will take them depending on the amp I take for the gig. They get mic'd at the gig and I point the cab at my face so I can hear myself.

It sounds like you are looking to use your cab only with no FOH support. 4x12's are incredibly directional so you are using a hammer when you need a screwdriver. You would probably be better off with 2 2x12's on either side of the stage to help with the "spread." They wouldn't even need to be stereo sends, just having two would physically spread them out enough to help support your tone at the gig.

#6 ·
You got that right, we play a lot of underground/illegal venues and we are two guitar players and play loud as hell, hence the full stacks with 100w/200w cranked heads. Putting cabs on each side would be ideal but the response in 2x12 isn't the same when non-mic'ed. Problem is that playing loud enough sometimes decapitates people in the front row while people in the back hear muffled crap.

Most cans are very directional and sound good only from one angle (usually 30 degrees). Some cabs like the VHT Deliverance is made to spread the sound around instead of straight, but they are incredibly hard to find. I cannot set my mind on the fact that a there can't be a bunch of different speakers and cabs that have better spreading qualities.
Maybe an open back cabinet would help too?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.