Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Joe Satriani Apr 8th in Toronto [de facto 2016 Tour Thread]

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  frankcastle 
#1 ·
Went to see Joe. I haven't been to a concert of his since the Extremist tour and to be honest that was probably the last album of his that I listened to from beginning to end multiple times.

I have to say it was a pretty good show. He always tours with talented musicians and this time around was no exception.

This was the first concert in a long time that I had been to which featured solos for each member (well okay there was Motley Crue..... but aside from that it seems like more of an old school thing to do). So as a result this was the first drum solo that I have seen in quite some time. Not sure if the keyboard solo was necessary but in fairness to all members I guess it had to be done.

No opening act. I like that. Unless it is an intentional pairing the opening act always feels disjointed.

I have to say his new stuff is not bad.

Sound quality was good. Last time I saw him in the 90s I was so deaf I couldn't hear a thing in the Burger King after the concert.

Nice to hear some of the old classics.

There were a few points in the concerts where Joe would jam with one of the musicians. That was cool.

My only disappointment was not hearing New Blues which is probably my favourite song that he does.

See less See more
#4 ·
I had the VIP pass for the Toronto show. Spoke to Jeff, the production assistant, for a bit. They have 9 touring crew members (+ 8 from the venue) who setup the stage and gear in 3 hours. Once they shows done they pack it up in 1 hour and off to next stop (Buffalo).

Took us up on stage and we were free to take pics of the gear/amps and what not. Saw Joe's tech tuning the guitars. Everyone was calm and getting prepared for the night. It was very quiet and the atmosphere was very personable with whomever you interacted with from the crew. This was around 5 pm (show at 8pm). Joe was probably warming up backstage in the rehearsal rooms.

Around 6 Joe came out and signed our stuff. Some brought their nice guitars. I didn't bring anything. I was just there to thank him for a lifetime of amazing music and someone to look up to. He's an amazing role model for a rockstar.

I'll be honest, Joe really does have this aura as if he's from some alien crystal planet.

The show was amazing. I used to think that they overdub a lot on their live cds. But none of it sounded like it needed any adjustments. every note was precise. Sound was amazing (i was at the front row facing the marshalls head on, with earplugs). Joe, and the whole band were very dynamic. Simply an amazing performance from top notch musicians. And they make it look so effortless.

Btw, Joe's guitars look amazing on stage.

And the crowd around the front rows was fantastic. Everyone was mature, everyone was there to enjoy great music, nobody was acting better than the other. Fantastic atmosphere all around. Except this one guy standing right next to me drunk off of his mind,,,,jumping like a lunatic and trying push his way to the front row. That's immature, some of us paid some hard earned dimes for this experience.

#6 ·
I had the VIP pass for the Toronto show. Spoke to Jeff, the production assistant, for a bit. They have 9 touring crew members (+ 8 from the venue) who setup the stage and gear in 3 hours. Once they shows done they pack it up in 1 hour and off to next stop (Buffalo).

Took us up on stage and we were free to take pics of the gear/amps and what not. Saw Joe's tech tuning the guitars. Everyone was calm and getting prepared for the night. It was very quiet and the atmosphere was very personable with whomever you interacted with from the crew. This was around 5 pm (show at 8pm). Joe was probably warming up backstage in the rehearsal rooms.

Around 6 Joe came out and signed our stuff. Some brought their nice guitars. I didn't bring anything. I was just there to thank him for a lifetime of amazing music and someone to look up to. He's an amazing role model for a rockstar.

I'll be honest, Joe really does have this aura as if he's from some alien crystal planet.

The show was amazing. I used to think that they overdub a lot on their live cds. But none of it sounded like it needed any adjustments. every note was precise. Sound was amazing (i was at the front row facing the marshalls head on, with earplugs). Joe, and the whole band were very dynamic. Simply an amazing performance from top notch musicians. And they make it look so effortless.

Btw, Joe's guitars look amazing on stage.

And the crowd around the front rows was fantastic. Everyone was mature, everyone was there to enjoy great music, nobody was acting better than the other. Fantastic atmosphere all around. Except this one guy standing right next to me drunk off of his mind,,,,jumping like a lunatic and trying push his way to the front row. That's immature, some of us paid some hard earned dimes for this experience.
I agree the crowd was mature. Although up in the seated area I felt bad for the people who sat behind the one lone guy who was standing like he was the Y from YMCA.

Were the VIP tickets something that was available to buy or was it a contest thing?

#7 ·
VIP is usually available to buy, as it's extra income for the artist.

I'm glad it was a good show. I've never seen Satch, but I have "flying in a blue dream" and it's a very interesting album.

#9 · (Edited)
For me the extremist was my favourite of his first four albums. Each one was progressively better. For my tastes it had the best blend of tone, song writing and chops. New Blues is my favourite song on that album.

Having heard his stuff post extremist live I really should go back and explore it. For whatever reasons mid nineties I took a hiatus from this style of music.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.