Suspension advice needed

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspension advice needed

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rectifier

Suspension advice needed

So I've got a 2004 Isuzu Rodeo, love it. Ever since I've had it though it's had really soft shocks, and it's getting to me. I'm not a car guy and I want to make sure I buy the right parts.

Do I need shocks? Struts? Both?

Right now my truck angles forward when I stop and angles back when I hit the gas. It leans when I turn and when I take a speed bump at a slow speed, I bounce 3-4 times after the speed bump.

I want to have it more stable, to not lean so much on turns so it handles better, and take bumps with a little more energy. Any advice would be great because this is my first time replacing shocks ever.

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

Replacing shocks on old-ish stock mounts is a titanic pain in the ass, so my first advice is don't do it yourself.

KYB makes gas shocks/struts (I think you probably have the latter) for just about everything, and they're great, and not all that expensive. If you have a couple hundred extra that you can part with, a stiffer set of springs will be a night and day difference, and it's always a good idea to do 'em both at the same time because the labor is the actual pricey part.

ME: LTD SC600 / UV7BK
    Rig: JMP-1>VHT 2/90/2>Zilla's

1. Shocks & struts are the same thing. They're the part that does the damping to stop you bouncing all over the place.

2. Stiffer springs will reduce the movement under breaking & acceleration as well as reducing roll in turns, though the trade off is a stiffer ride.

3. Uprated dampers are always a good idea to go with uprated springs, though not absolutely essential if the new springs give you the same ride height as stock. If they are lower it really is best to use matched dampers.

4. Uprated anti roll bars are a really good way of reducing body roll in turns without making the ride too harsh.

I don't know if there are any big national tuning firms in the US, but in the UK we have a few. They usually list all the stuff available for specific vehicles if you enter the details of the car. Otherwise KYB are good, as are Spax, Supersprint and Bilstein (Bilstein are OE on shitloads of vehicles). Eibach have an extensive list of after market springs too.
    I'm so metal I shit bats

My band > WALK IN COMA

I actually wouldn't mind the truck being an inch or two lower to help with handling too. The rodeo has a high center of gravity.

Time for new shocks/struts. What you are experiencing is loss of preload as the shocks are worn. Once the preload is gone, the range of rebound settings built into the shock is out of it's operating parameters as well making them pogo-sticks.
    "so Mike makes these guitars for all these metal
    dudes and then plays this happy music?" - Erin

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Division: American Metal without the suck.

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: Sherman Poips
    MA: Martin DXK2
    MB: StringlessRusted Leonbass
    Rig: Mark-V 25 1x12

Just make sure that you hold the 4th and don't let it fall to the 3rd. That should keep your suspensions in check.

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post

that's a really old Rodeo too, that body style is at least 10-12 years old.