Song a week challenge: (Pre) Season 0, Week 3 (Final for 2018) [Archive] - Metalguitarist.org

View Full Version : Song a week challenge: (Pre) Season 0, Week 3 (Final for 2018)

7 Dying Trees
12-15-2018, 12:03 AM
Thread for the third and final week of the song a week challenge. As it's xmas, this one will run untill midnight, 31st December. Then we'll have a break, and we'll start the first friday of 2109 oproperly.

We're uploading stuff to our own soundclouds, and then posting in the thread when done. Song is a song, drums etc don't need to be finished, vocals/bass all a bonus. Last chance to get all those niggles out of the way in your setups before we all start taking this a little more seriously :D

As it's preseason, any can still join in, even if they didn't submit last week

Recap on last week:
Got more cool entries, getting towards xmas, so people falling off, here's the results in order of submission (Nick gets the gold star for being first)

T Gobbs (*)
Iron1
astrocreep
jmeezle (well, 1/2)
7 Dying Trees

Rules:
1) Submissions by end of play 31st of December
2) Even if noone can check, the spirit is writing a song a week
3) No rules on genre, you don't even need to do the same style next week
4) Must be a song, unless you have a very (and I mean the kind that is beyond the ability of mere mortals) good argument for playing the same riff for 3+ minutes it won't fly
5) Entries composed on a tascam or without drums, whatever, also welcome, this is about writing a song, not dressing it up in lipstick and a short skirt
6) If you don't submit, you're eliminated (but you can still keep on submitting anyway as practice, this way the competitives get to be competitive, and the less so inclined still get to join in).

We will not:
1) Make people feel bad about mixing skills by turning this into a mixtest competition, it's about getting a load of us writing to a deadline, this is about writing, not about how awesome your headless kiesel sounds through an axe fx with superior drummer
2) Make people feel bad about how well it's recorded
3) Spam thread with songs we've had lying around for ages or anything non relevant to this competition and it's rules
4) Discourage anyone from participating
5) Tell anyone they suck. Songwriting is a skill, you learn it, some people will be better, others worse, this isn't a pissing competition
6) Steal others work or ideas.

Not Mr. Test
12-15-2018, 12:19 AM
Can I submit shit I actually wrote and never did anything with years ago? I'd have to blather some leads over it.

astrocreep
12-15-2018, 08:33 AM
Can I submit shit I actually wrote and never did anything with years ago? I'd have to blather some leads over it.

I think that's more what the peer pressure thread was going for?

TheKindred
12-15-2018, 07:53 PM
i had to drop out for last week and probably this week. Busy season and working too many doubles to have any time for anything else.

Def will be in for the new year season 1 though.

TheKindred
12-15-2018, 07:53 PM
@chris if you're thowing new stuff on and actually getting 'em done, i say make it so.

it's all about the productivity for me

7 Dying Trees
12-15-2018, 09:02 PM
Hey chris, if it gets you up and running to join in, go for it. Or post in the peer pressure thread, either is fine, this is just pre season and a way of gertting everyones juices flowing. Like a young girl in her prime. Alledgedly. Althiough that lyric has obviously always had a different meaning for their guitarist.

Not Mr. Test
12-15-2018, 11:57 PM
It really sucks that all the awesome Manowar-isms are ruined now. :(

(Sorry for the derail)

Rev Drucifer
12-16-2018, 03:37 AM
I know my next few weeks are going to be pretty non-stop with work so I don't know if I'll even be able to keep up after this week. I got home last night thinking I was going to make it into the studio for the entire night but my dad came by and hung out for a few hours. After he left I did some riff farming until I had a few I could work with, then just spent the day arranging it into a song and writing the click track. Banged out guitars and bass surprisingly quick, taking a 10 minute break to have a cocktail then I'm going to either start vocals or the lead.

I tell ya, it's MUCH easier to get into the mood of working on a tune when it's as fresh as this. Normally I would have fired up Red Dead by now but I've been plowing through this tune for 8-9 hours straight today without more than a 5 minute break and I'm too stoked to start screamin' to quit.

astrocreep
12-16-2018, 09:04 AM
I tell ya, it's MUCH easier to get into the mood of working on a tune when it's as fresh as this. Normally I would have fired up Red Dead by now but I've been plowing through this tune for 8-9 hours straight today without more than a 5 minute break and I'm too stoked to start screamin' to quit.

Very well said, that's what I've loved about this so far!

7 Dying Trees
12-16-2018, 02:41 PM
I know my next few weeks are going to be pretty non-stop with work so I don't know if I'll even be able to keep up after this week. I got home last night thinking I was going to make it into the studio for the entire night but my dad came by and hung out for a few hours. After he left I did some riff farming until I had a few I could work with, then just spent the day arranging it into a song and writing the click track. Banged out guitars and bass surprisingly quick, taking a 10 minute break to have a cocktail then I'm going to either start vocals or the lead.

yeah, it is good fun, i know there's a limit, and that i get to do something new the week after. Even if it doesn't end up fully done, i've still got stuff i can revisit later, and is getting me doing some actual writing!

Rev Drucifer
12-16-2018, 03:58 PM
yeah, it is good fun, i know there's a limit, and that i get to do something new the week after. Even if it doesn't end up fully done, i've still got stuff i can revisit later, and is getting me doing some actual writing!

That was something I had to remind myself of last night. I get REALLY carried away with drum programming. In fact, I've maybe played guitar/bass for about 2 hours total, but probably spent 3-4 on writing the drums. Last night I was tweaking velocities, fucking with the drum bus, doing mix stuff that wasn't necessary, kind of forgetting that finishing the song is of more importance than tweaking the mix. I know the tune I pulled out of my ass is definitely going on my album, but I don't need to get it album-ready just yet.

Which also brought me to another idea, maybe when all this is finished, we can put together a MG compilation CD of the songs we're throwing on here?
I'll also throw out there, I'm more than happy to contribute vocals on anything you guys may want vocals on. I wouldn't want to just start blabbering over a track without some input (unless that's requested) so if anyone wanted to put a scratch/guide vocal down, I don't care if it sounds like Edith Bunker, I can generally get good enough of an idea to work with it. If you're looking for Randy Blythe/Layne Staley/Phil Anselmo/Devin Townsend flavored vox, I can pull off something along those lines. It'll have to be after the new year.

Iron1
12-20-2018, 09:14 AM
This one started out as a smoldering pile of hot garbage inside a dumpster fire. I was just about to delete the whole thing when I decided to tinker some more, then ended up deleting about 1/3 of what I started with and it finally got to the point where I didn't hate it. Not sure I'll have much time to tinker more with it, so here it is...

https://soundcloud.com/iron1/extinguished-3-1-1

7 Dying Trees
12-20-2018, 11:37 AM
well, we've all got until the 31st this session! So plenty of time to tinker :)

astrocreep
12-20-2018, 12:50 PM
This one started out as a smoldering pile of hot garbage inside a dumpster fire. I was just about to delete the whole thing when I decided to tinker some more, then ended up deleting about 1/3 of what I started with and it finally got to the point where I didn't hate it. Not sure I'll have much time to tinker more with it, so here it is...

https://soundcloud.com/iron1/extinguished-3-1-1

Love the first section!

Iron1
12-21-2018, 10:51 AM
well, we've all got until the 31st this session! So plenty of time to tinker :)

Cool. I may tinker some more, but might also go back and fix the first two songs I created. Who knows... either way, this has been fun.

Love the first section!

Thanks! I do too. :)

Iron1
12-22-2018, 12:28 PM
Ok, I found time to tinker some more. And, my awesome wife let me open my Christmas gift early, so I used it to add some bass lines (see NBD thread I'll be posting shortly). Still trying to dial in a bass tone, but that's a different subject/topic/post.

I also played with the arrangement a bit as well.

https://soundcloud.com/iron1/extinguished-3-3-3

Rev Drucifer
12-22-2018, 11:00 PM
Ok, I found time to tinker some more. And, my awesome wife let me open my Christmas gift early, so I used it to add some bass lines (see NBD thread I'll be posting shortly). Still trying to dial in a bass tone, but that's a different subject/topic/post.

If I were strapped to a table and having my intestines eating while I was alive, I can imagine this song would be playing in the room.

Here's my contribution for this week(s).

https://soundcloud.com/strokeface/volatile-gentleman-shit-mouth

This was a fun one and the first song I've written without a single clean vocal. If I put this one the album I'll spend more time with the mix/solo/chorus vocals. Drums are just the stereo EZDrummer track and I took the easy way out and just used Izotope's Final Mix on my mix bus instead of doing my own thing with it. Didn't check it on other systems yet. Bass is the only thing I played straight through without editing/copy/pasting. Vocals are pretty quick, doing the fry screaming. Guitars are my JEM straight into a XXX into a Line 6 2x12 with a 57. Bass is just a D.I. with some compression, EQ and RBass.

I've been stuck with lyrics lately but as I was browsing Reddit and coming across all these internet badasses, I found there's a gold mine of content to draw from. I'm pretty happy myself these days and don't have anything to bitch about on a personal level, which has never happened before. I'm not bitching about that and I needed something like this song to come around and show me I could do that. Everything I wrote before was entirely reflecting on myself or bitching about something/someone. Not that this one isn't, but it's all tongue in cheek and has nothing personal in it at all.

Iron1
12-23-2018, 10:46 AM
If I were strapped to a table and having my intestines eating while I was alive, I can imagine this song would be playing in the room.

Might be the most metal review one of my songs has ever had... :james:

This was a fun one and the first song I've written without a single clean vocal. If I put this one the album I'll spend more time with the mix/solo/chorus vocals. Drums are just the stereo EZDrummer track and I took the easy way out and just used Izotope's Final Mix on my mix bus instead of doing my own thing with it. Didn't check it on other systems yet. Bass is the only thing I played straight through without editing/copy/pasting. Vocals are pretty quick, doing the fry screaming. Guitars are my JEM straight into a XXX into a Line 6 2x12 with a 57. Bass is just a D.I. with some compression, EQ and RBass.

I've been stuck with lyrics lately but as I was browsing Reddit and coming across all these internet badasses, I found there's a gold mine of content to draw from. I'm pretty happy myself these days and don't have anything to bitch about on a personal level, which has never happened before. I'm not bitching about that and I needed something like this song to come around and show me I could do that. Everything I wrote before was entirely reflecting on myself or bitching about something/someone. Not that this one isn't, but it's all tongue in cheek and has nothing personal in it at all.

Dig it. Is this the most complete song we've had so far? Makes me realize I need to get my act together and put vox on my tracks finally.

Rev Drucifer
12-23-2018, 12:36 PM
Might be the most metal review one of my songs has ever had... :james:

Dig it. Is this the most complete song we've had so far? Makes me realize I need to get my act together and put vox on my tracks finally.

I think it was Markus who posted the first 'complete' tune, the acoustic one a couple weeks back.

I had to change the way I normally go about vocals. I didn't realize that this week was essentially 2 weeks for the contest, so I was aiming to have it finished Friday night. I normally write/track vocals after the entire song is done but I put some vocal channels in my writing template and started recording ideas as I was tracking guitars for the initial writing session. My SM7B is in arm's reach, I literally just arm the track and go for it. So this contest already helped me in one way by changing how I go about writing vocals.

T Gobbs
12-23-2018, 08:21 PM

https://soundcloud.com/iron1/extinguished-3-3-3

Chaotic. :metal:

Fuckin' Randy Blythe over here.

Here's mine. Kind of lost steam halfway through, but I finished!

https://soundcloud.com/user-870397866/saw-season-0-week-3

schreckmusic
12-23-2018, 09:07 PM

I've been stuck with lyrics lately but as I was browsing Reddit and coming across all these internet badasses, I found there's a gold mine of content to draw from. I'm pretty happy myself these days and don't have anything to bitch about on a personal level, which has never happened before. I'm not bitching about that and I needed something like this song to come around and show me I could do that. Everything I wrote before was entirely reflecting on myself or bitching about something/someone. Not that this one isn't, but it's all tongue in cheek and has nothing personal in it at all. Killer vocals!

Rev Drucifer
12-24-2018, 12:17 AM
Chaotic. :metal:

Fuckin' Randy Blythe over here.

I dug that, lot of space for for some melodies to go over! Bass tone was really nice when it opened up, too.

Randy was/is indeed a big screaming influence!

Killer vocals!

Thank ye, brudda!

Iron1
12-24-2018, 12:37 PM

Dig it. Nice base to build on for some lead work and such. Has a cool, chill/yet still metal vibe to it.

7 Dying Trees
12-31-2018, 02:29 PM
I officially lose, free time and managed to use none of it to write lol.

So, when should we start the song a week proper? mid january, or the coming friday, or start from tomorrow, and the first week runs till january 10th?

astrocreep
12-31-2018, 05:18 PM
Here is as near finished as mine will get this "week":

https://soundcloud.com/thomasnrobertson/season-0-week-3-roughreprobates

I suppose I should go be sociable for Hogmanay now...

Iron1
01-02-2019, 12:40 PM
Here is as near finished as mine will get this "week":

https://soundcloud.com/thomasnrobertson/season-0-week-3-roughreprobates

I suppose I should go be sociable for Hogmanay now...

IMO this is your best one yet. Dig listening to the improvement curve from everyone week to week. This will be really cool to look back on - and listen to -when it's over.

astrocreep
01-02-2019, 01:23 PM
IMO this is your best one yet. Dig listening to the improvement curve from everyone week to week. This will be really cool to look back on - and listen to -when it's over.

Cheers Dude, really appreciate the encouragement. No idea what will come out this "[email protected]"!