Rev Drucifier
Nick
7 Dying Trees
scole

Rules:
1) Submissions by end of play 18th of January
2) Even if noone can check, the spirit is writing a song a week
3) No rules on genre, you don't even need to do the same style next week
4) Must be a song, unless you have a very (and I mean the kind that is beyond the ability of mere mortals) good argument for playing the same riff for 3+ minutes it won't fly
5) Entries composed on a tascam or without drums, whatever, also welcome, this is about writing a song, not dressing it up in lipstick and a short skirt
6) If you don't submit, you're eliminated (but you can still keep on submitting anyway as practice, this way the competitives get to be competitive, and the less so inclined still get to join in).

We will not:
1) Make people feel bad about mixing skills by turning this into a mixtest competition, it's about getting a load of us writing to a deadline, this is about writing, not about how awesome your headless kiesel sounds through an axe fx with superior drummer
2) Make people feel bad about how well it's recorded
3) Spam thread with songs we've had lying around for ages or anything non relevant to this competition and it's rules
4) Discourage anyone from participating
5) Tell anyone they suck. Songwriting is a skill, you learn it, some people will be better, others worse, this isn't a pissing competition
6) Steal others work or ideas.

Eliminated people welcome to submit as well :)

Jumpintofinity
01-14-2019, 01:12 AM
What if you want to build off the one from the previous week?

7 Dying Trees
01-14-2019, 11:03 AM
has to be new, the point here is to get everyone developing new ideas, so we're writing, if you want to finish a song, i think there was another thread for that, the peer pressure one?

Jumpintofinity
01-14-2019, 01:47 PM
has to be new, the point here is to get everyone developing new ideas, so we're writing, if you want to finish a song, i think there was another thread for that, the peer pressure one?

Ok I'll come up with something.

scole
01-16-2019, 01:35 AM
I'm in! That feeling when you wanted to write something thrashy but ended up with The Donnas/Poison/Pretty Boy Floyd. :lol:

This song was written as a song that would have lyrics and that type of structure but lyric writing isn't my bag.

https://soundcloud.com/evtguy/song-of-the-week-challenge-week-02

TheKindred
01-16-2019, 07:52 PM
^ nice work dude.

getting mine in early again cause I had some free time over the weekend after last week's ended. Went a little different but trying to keep a theme with it. Played with effects a bit more.

as always, feedback/critique and comments welcome!

https://soundcloud.com/the_kindred/saw-s1w2

7 Dying Trees
01-16-2019, 10:52 PM
Jeez you guys are quick!

TheKindred
01-16-2019, 11:39 PM
i'm pretty busy during the week so trying to maximize my weekend head start from when the previous closes, otherwise i won't have enough time during the week to post anything

scole
01-17-2019, 02:35 AM
Jeez you guys are quick!

Hah. I got off to a great start on Saturday and had pretty much everything laid out by Monday which still gave me a little time to tweak a few things after some listens. I'm sure I won't be that lucky for long!

^ nice work dude.

getting mine in early again cause I had some free time over the weekend after last week's ended. Went a little different but trying to keep a theme with it. Played with effects a bit more.

Thanks, brother! What's the backstory for your track? Lyrics or instrumental? The atmospherics from the synths give me a creepy video game vibe. I love that clean guitar part!

Iron1
01-17-2019, 10:20 AM
I'm in! That feeling when you wanted to write something thrashy but ended up with The Donnas/Poison/Pretty Boy Floyd. :lol:

This song was written as a song that would have lyrics and that type of structure but lyric writing isn't my bag.

https://soundcloud.com/evtguy/song-of-the-week-challenge-week-02

^ nice work dude.

Y'all are off to a quick start. Good stuff!

Every week prior I've had mine mostly ready by Wednesday. Now it's Thursday and all I have is a dumpster fire of uninspired crap. Hopefully something will click between now and tomorrow morning...

Iron1
01-18-2019, 11:59 AM
Ok, here it is. Started out inspired, which died quickly. Ha. Not sure if I'll keep fiddling with it or just junk it at this point...

https://soundcloud.com/iron1/violent-man-3-0-2

Nick
01-18-2019, 12:14 PM
i have nothing this week :(

7 Dying Trees
01-18-2019, 12:52 PM
Unless i throw something together this evening, I don't either :(

Iron1
01-18-2019, 01:02 PM
i have nothing this week :(

Unless i throw something together this evening, I don't either :(

Bummer. Well, make sure to get back in the game next week.

astrocreep
01-18-2019, 03:10 PM
I'm struggling this week, after much blankness I've been playing with ideas in guitar pro which may be going in the right direction, but they are way too fast for me to play at the moment....

I may have to pass this week and perhaps try to get up to speed over the next week.

Jumpintofinity
01-18-2019, 06:57 PM
I caught the flu on tuesday and still dealing with it. I don't have an idea for anything.

Iron1
01-18-2019, 07:47 PM
Man, bummed so many of y'all are falling off - hope ya feel better soon, Jump.

I couldn't take how bad mine sounded and re-wrote/recorded a bunch of it in the last hour. This still needs some mixing love, but here's the new version:

https://soundcloud.com/iron1/violent-man-5-1-4

7 Dying Trees
01-18-2019, 10:22 PM
https://soundcloud.com/7-dying-trees/s1-w2-2

Ha! In before the deadline! A bit bitty, not smooth, but, every song counts :lol:

Jumpintofinity
01-19-2019, 12:16 AM
Man, bummed so many of y'all are falling off - hope ya feel better soon, Jump.

I couldn't take how bad mine sounded and re-wrote/recorded a bunch of it in the last hour. This still needs some mixing love, but here's the new version:

https://soundcloud.com/iron1/violent-man-4-1-0

I wouldn't be mad if people would just stop coming to work(at a major super market) and getting me sick. I've never had the flu this bad. Literally waking up at 3am and can't move until 2pm for 3 days straight.

T Gobbs
01-19-2019, 12:16 AM
https://soundcloud.com/user-870397866/saw-season-1-week-2

Does this get too repetitive? I'm having a really hard time pacing more linear stuff like this.

scole
01-19-2019, 01:17 AM

Ha! In before the deadline! A bit bitty, not smooth, but, every song counts :lol:

Hell, yeah!

:windmill:

scole
01-19-2019, 01:20 AM

Does this get too repetitive? I'm having a really hard time pacing more linear stuff like this.

Maybe. Were you thinking there would be some vocals on top? If so, I think that would fill it out and make you focus on that rather than the basic arrangement.

Rev Drucifer
01-19-2019, 05:51 AM
I'm 35 minutes late so disqualify me if need be. Crazy, crazy week at wok this week. My boss quit and I had to take over until we have a new Chief Engineer. I didn't think I'd have time to get anything done this week but I had one day that I was "supervising" some vendors during an elevator installation where I locked myself in my office with headphones and my guitar and got most of this done. Finished the bass on my lunch break and "mixed" in the car on my iPhone earbuds and my shitty car stereo on the drive here to Ocala. I tried uploading it from the turnpike but cell service dropped in and out. I'm sitting in a hotel with shitty wifi trying to upload this right now....

Finally!

https://soundcloud.com/strokeface/cuntstompnovox

Guitars are Amplitube and sounded like ass. I'm going to try re-amping this shit when I get back home tomorrow night. Again, no vox or lead as I just didn't have time.

Edit- I'm waiting to get back home before I listen to all the contributions. My ears are tapped out from my earbuds and I hate listening to stuff I actually want to *listen* to on laptop speakers. I also wanted to add that this whole competition is really putting me in that zone where I can just sit down and go. Before it would take me a couple weeks between songs to build up drive to start another but I think it's because I was burning myself out recording everything then mixing....this process has been so quick I don't have the chance to get fatigued.

scole
01-19-2019, 08:26 AM
I'd allow it. Always better with more folks participating. Maybe you rushed the songwriting but the production sounds pretty good to me. :yesway:

astrocreep
01-19-2019, 08:38 AM
Great work guys!

Iron1
01-19-2019, 11:17 AM

Smooth or not, that's good metal right there. :james:

I wouldn't be mad if people would just stop coming to work(at a major super market) and getting me sick. I've never had the flu this bad. Literally waking up at 3am and can't move until 2pm for 3 days straight.

Ugh... that sucks brutha. Are you better yet?

Not to repetitive at all. Makes me think it's the hero's score for a Mardi Gras horror film - not sure if that makes any sense at all, but that's what it made me think I was hearing.

I'm 35 minutes late so disqualify me if need be. Crazy, crazy week at wok this week. My boss quit and I had to take over until we have a new Chief Engineer. I didn't think I'd have time to get anything done this week but I had one day that I was "supervising" some vendors during an elevator installation where I locked myself in my office with headphones and my guitar and got most of this done. Finished the bass on my lunch break and "mixed" in the car on my iPhone earbuds and my shitty car stereo on the drive here to Ocala. I tried uploading it from the turnpike but cell service dropped in and out. I'm sitting in a hotel with shitty wifi trying to upload this right now....

Finally!

https://soundcloud.com/strokeface/cuntstompnovox

Guitars are Amplitube and sounded like ass. I'm going to try re-amping this shit when I get back home tomorrow night. Again, no vox or lead as I just didn't have time.

Edit- I'm waiting to get back home before I listen to all the contributions. My ears are tapped out from my earbuds and I hate listening to stuff I actually want to *listen* to on laptop speakers. I also wanted to add that this whole competition is really putting me in that zone where I can just sit down and go. Before it would take me a couple weeks between songs to build up drive to start another but I think it's because I was burning myself out recording everything then mixing....this process has been so quick I don't have the chance to get fatigued.

Wow, talk about some commitment to the SAW. I can't even seem to find time to listen to it in the car or office before sharing it, much less work on it there. Dig it!

I'd allow it. Always better with more folks participating. Maybe you rushed the songwriting but the production sounds pretty good to me. :yesway:

I vote we allow it, too. Shame to have all that effort go to waste.

Speaking of listening to mine in the car, I did last night and still think it sucks and couldn't figure out why the guitar tone wasn't right. Came home and looked and realized I had my HD500X set to my bass tone when re-recording my guitars, sooooooo... guess what I'm doing this morning. Ha. :picard:

Rev Drucifer
01-19-2019, 02:51 PM
Haha I definitely didn't really have time and most certainly shouldn't have been doing what I was doing when I was recording in my office, but I knew I'd get away with it, so fuck it. Thanks for allowing it in!

T Gobbs
01-19-2019, 07:05 PM
Maybe. Were you thinking there would be some vocals on top? If so, I think that would fill it out and make you focus on that rather than the basic arrangement.

Yeah, there were supposed to be vocals in the little drum breaks and over the last half of the song. I'm getting over a cold, and I was hoping I could use that to my advantage and get some spooky creaky vocals going, but in reality I just sounded like an out of tune cartoon mouse, so I had to scrap it all at the last minute. :lol:

Not to repetitive at all. Makes me think it's the hero's score for a Mardi Gras horror film - not sure if that makes any sense at all, but that's what it made me think I was hearing.

...That's actually weirdly close to what I was going for. :D :highfive:

The deadline is there to get people to participate, so if people are participating, the deadline is less important in my mind. That's awesome that you did all that under those circumstances, Rev!

Really cool stuff from everyone this week, like always. :)

Rev Drucifer
01-20-2019, 06:31 PM
Ok, I'm just now taking the time to go through everyone's tunes from this week. I just spent the last hour tweaking my speakers. I haven't had the chance to really spend any time in the studio after I moved it around. It was quite the change in sound and it wasn't for the better with the settings I had on my speakers and took a while to get somewhere decent.

Scole- Drums are great sounding, lots of good energy in this one. I really dig the lead tone, there's some good sizzle in there. I definitely hear what you're sayin' with the style! Nice!

Kindred, damn man...this is killer. I really dig the synth stuff. This is like evil Floyd! The synths, man...especially in the outro, such cool sounds!

iron1- I love that dirty record sound...dude, you deliver impending doom with outstanding consistency. For every movie scene involving hell or Mordor, torture scenes, etc, they just need to license all your tunes for the soundtracks.

7DT- ahhhh fuck yeah....I love everything about this. That snare makes me tingly and those guitars are aggressive as fuck, this tune is fuckin' killer.

T Gobbs- This isn't repetitive at all and I love the lead, man. What are you using on this? I love all these sounds, man. After iron and 7DT's brutal assaults, this is a nice reset. Great bass sound, too.

This whole thing is bringing out some great stuff from everyone!

T Gobbs
01-21-2019, 05:18 AM
T Gobbs- This isn't repetitive at all and I love the lead, man. What are you using on this? I love all these sounds, man. After iron and 7DT's brutal assaults, this is a nice reset. Great bass sound, too.

Thanks dude!

Guitar is a peavey tracer with an l500xl in the bridge

For the pad type things I used TAL dub II (mix at 100) > TSE808 > Lepou Hybrit > Ola's Hesu IR > reacomp > eq > eventide stereo room (mix also at 100). There are three tracks, panned hard left, right, and center. Each track is a note of the chord being trem picked.

For the lead I rolled off the tone knob just a bit. The chain for that was TSE808 > Hybrit > Hesu IR > eq (hi pass at 300, low pass at 4k, slight bump at 1.5k) > TAL dub II.

Bass was just TSE BOD + eq and compression.

Iron1
01-21-2019, 11:31 AM
iron1- I love that dirty record sound...dude, you deliver impending doom with outstanding consistency. For every movie scene involving hell or Mordor, torture scenes, etc, they just need to license all your tunes for the soundtracks.

This whole thing is bringing out some great stuff from everyone!

Thanks Rev! This is definitely forcing me to get better and I love that.

Rev Drucifer
01-21-2019, 05:45 PM
Thanks dude!

Guitar is a peavey tracer with an l500xl in the bridge

For the pad type things I used TAL dub II (mix at 100) > TSE808 > Lepou Hybrit > Ola's Hesu IR > reacomp > eq > eventide stereo room (mix also at 100). There are three tracks, panned hard left, right, and center. Each track is a note of the chord being trem picked.

For the lead I rolled off the tone knob just a bit. The chain for that was TSE808 > Hybrit > Hesu IR > eq (hi pass at 300, low pass at 4k, slight bump at 1.5k) > TAL dub II.

Bass was just TSE BOD + eq and compression.

Damn, I figured it was a guitar into an H9 or something. At least I got the brand right! Man, I gotta file this away in "Shit I need to try".

Rev Drucifer
01-21-2019, 05:48 PM
Thanks Rev! This is definitely forcing me to get better and I love that.

It's forcing me to be more consistent in the studio, that's for sure. This week I'm going to try to get another complete, vocals and everything, song done. I went to work on my 1st song yesterday and realized I hate the verse music....a lot. I can't think of any kind of melody that'll work for it that lends itself to getting to the chorus, which I know is pretty strong.

It's definitely helped me with the 2nd guessing thing as in, I just stopped 2nd guessing entirely. The other side of that is that a week or two later, I'm hearing stuff I just don't dig and left them in because of the time constraint and lack of 2nd guessing. But, at least now I know.

Iron1
01-22-2019, 12:53 AM
It's definitely helped me with the 2nd guessing thing as in, I just stopped 2nd guessing entirely. The other side of that is that a week or two later, I'm hearing stuff I just don't dig and left them in because of the time constraint and lack of 2nd guessing. But, at least now I know.

Same here. Although I continue to fiddle with the songs after the deadline, that is until I force myself to start on the next song. But, really need to force myself to go back and put vocals on enough of my tracks to actually release my album. :lol:

scole
01-22-2019, 01:37 AM
Hell- songs aren't really done until you say so. Lots of songs have been written and then received a drastic re-write after the fact. I have a bootleg of Dream Theater doing A Change of Seasons and its way different than the recorded version. I say, if you're not 100% happy, keep tweaking it because the hardest part (the initial songwriting) is over.

Rev Drucifer
01-22-2019, 05:32 PM
Same here. Although I continue to fiddle with the songs after the deadline, that is until I force myself to start on the next song. But, really need to force myself to go back and put vocals on enough of my tracks to actually release my album. :lol:

Dude, I've got like 5 tunes sitting around waiting for vocals!!!

Hell- songs aren't really done until you say so. Lots of songs have been written and then received a drastic re-write after the fact. I have a bootleg of Dream Theater doing A Change of Seasons and its way different than the recorded version. I say, if you're not 100% happy, keep tweaking it because the hardest part (the initial songwriting) is over.

Indeed. I used to have a few boots of ACOS back in the day, I seem to recall LaBrie saying "One more mercy fuck to get me through the day" on one of them! Devin Townsend recently tweeted "Mixes are never finished, just abandoned" and I agree 100%. Songwriting isn't too far off from that, however you can generally tell if a song only needs to be 3-4 minutes long verses making a 20 minute epic piece out of it!

Iron1
01-23-2019, 12:56 AM
Dude, I've got like 5 tunes sitting around waiting for vocals!!!

Not like I’m trying to one-up ya but I’m at 11 now... 😂 This is the last one I did... in 2017.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QC8HmGdcU_g