Song a Week Challenge, Season 1, Week 3 [Archive] - Metalguitarist.org

View Full Version : Song a Week Challenge, Season 1, Week 3

7 Dying Trees
01-19-2019, 11:34 AM
Into Week 3 of this season, we have some fallen comrades (who are still more than welcome to contribute!)

Still in the running are:
scole
TheKindred
Iron1
7 Dying Trees
T Gobbs
Rev Drucifier

Rules:
1) Submissions by end of play 25th of January
2) Even if noone can check, the spirit is writing a song a week
3) No rules on genre, you don't even need to do the same style next week
4) Must be a song, unless you have a very (and I mean the kind that is beyond the ability of mere mortals) good argument for playing the same riff for 3+ minutes it won't fly
5) Entries composed on a tascam or without drums, whatever, also welcome, this is about writing a song, not dressing it up in lipstick and a short skirt
6) If you don't submit, you're eliminated (but you can still keep on submitting anyway as practice, this way the competitives get to be competitive, and the less so inclined still get to join in).

We will not:
1) Make people feel bad about mixing skills by turning this into a mixtest competition, it's about getting a load of us writing to a deadline, this is about writing, not about how awesome your headless kiesel sounds through an axe fx with superior drummer
2) Make people feel bad about how well it's recorded
3) Spam thread with songs we've had lying around for ages or anything non relevant to this competition and it's rules
4) Discourage anyone from participating
5) Tell anyone they suck. Songwriting is a skill, you learn it, some people will be better, others worse, this isn't a pissing competition
6) Steal others work or ideas.

Iron1
01-19-2019, 12:35 PM
And then there was 6.

Thanks for keeping this going, 7DT. It's kept me rolling, upping my game and pushes me to get better.

7 Dying Trees
01-19-2019, 01:22 PM
I keep thinking for a season we should just have one thread, as it is filling up this forum section lol

Iron1
01-24-2019, 11:33 AM
I don't think we need to keep it in one thread. Not like the forums are overrun with traffic where we're crowding anything out...

Here's my 'rough draft' for this week - as usual I'll continue tweaking up until the deadline most likely:

https://soundcloud.com/iron1/blood-on-my-hands-3-1-1

Iron1
01-24-2019, 02:17 PM
Anyone have any advice on how to dirty up/unpolish the drum tracks? Everything else is thick and raw, but I’m not sure how to do that to drum loops since I can’t EQ drum and cymbal individually.

TheKindred
01-24-2019, 06:52 PM
I prefer to have the seperate thread for each. makes it a lot easier to keep track, imo.

going for my annual winter backcountry trip starting this weekend so had to rush this one a bit more, but I think i can definitely work something out of it. Next week is gonna be a tight one for sure since i'll have even less time.

Feedback/critiques please and thanks :agreed:

https://soundcloud.com/the_kindred/mgorg-saw-s1w3

Rev Drucifer
01-25-2019, 12:47 AM
The only way I'll be able to pull it off this week is if I get home tomorrow and get straight to work. I've played my guitar for a total of 15 minutes this week and my computer wasn't even turned on to record a single thing. The stress of taking over a position I'm not qualified for has just got me beaten down. I'm pulling it off, which is pretty damn cool, but it's taking every bit of energy I've got. Maybe it's time I finally write an acoustic/vocal tune like I've been wanting to do for a while.

Anyone have any advice on how to dirty up/unpolish the drum tracks? Everything else is thick and raw, but Iím not sure how to do that to drum loops since I canít EQ drum and cymbal individually.

Can you bounce the drum track into an audio track an then just EQ/tweak that audio track? Is it you that is using EZDrummer? If you are, open the mixer and crank up the ambience a good amount, back off the kick/snare, that'll get you a bit closer. I dig the programming you did in this one. Love how the second half is just rippin' after a fairly calm first half.

I prefer to have the seperate thread for each. makes it a lot easier to keep track, imo.

going for my annual winter backcountry trip starting this weekend so had to rush this one a bit more, but I think i can definitely work something out of it. Next week is gonna be a tight one for sure since i'll have even less time.

I dig the chord changes and the delay on there in the beginning...when the distorted guitars come in, it's got the atmosphere of something off Operation: Mindcrime. My only critique would be for the drums, it'd just be cool to hear some more syncopated stuff with the guitars, like right around 4:40, if the drums and guitars were doing some unison type stuff, it'd just give it some more impact. I understand the time constraints and I can't remember what everyone has access to for a drum program, so I wouldn't take that too hard. Cool atmosphere through the whole tune though, I dig all your reverb-y stuff in everything you've put forward so far. It's an effect I don't think about much these days, for some reason.

TheKindred
01-25-2019, 01:19 AM
thanks dude. really appreciate your comments on all of them. TBH the drums are the last thing i'll tweak under time constraints so sometimes they just end up being simple loops to play to and then end up staying that way until i have the time to go back and write something proper.

scole
01-25-2019, 04:29 AM

Much like Rev's comments the whole beginning is downbeat & cool. Wasn't expecting the crunch guitars to come in. For me, the only thing that throws me is that sometimes there seems to be some ping ponging "echo" or delay during the crunch rhythm which seems off beat like at 1:44 or 4:18ish. I dunno. Maybe I'm hearing things..

scole
01-25-2019, 04:36 AM
I don't think we need to keep it in one thread. Not like the forums are overrun with traffic where we're crowding anything out...

Here's my 'rough draft' for this week - as usual I'll continue tweaking up until the deadline most likely:

https://soundcloud.com/iron1/blood-on-my-hands-3-1-1

Not much of a doom metal guy but I really dug the drum tempo on this one. Totally unexpected but really cool. Maybe because it reminds me of the My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult song off of The Crow soundtrack.

scole
01-25-2019, 04:40 AM
Alright- here's my entry for this week. A heavier song this week, more like what I might have intended last week. Some really nice moments followed up by some moments of "how do I get myself out of this corner?" My chugga chugga game needs work. :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/stevecolemusic/song-a-week-challenge-week-3

astrocreep
01-25-2019, 08:17 AM
Alright- here's my entry for this week. A heavier song this week, more like what I might have intended last week. Some really nice moments followed up by some moments of "how do I get myself out of this corner?" My chugga chugga game needs work. :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/stevecolemusic/song-a-week-challenge-week-3

I really like this, good effort!

7 Dying Trees
01-25-2019, 09:23 AM
Barring a miracle and suddenly not being ill I think this is the week I crash and burn and don't submit anything :(

Iron1
01-25-2019, 11:10 AM

Dig that - has a really laid back yet disturbing vibe to it. Good job!

The only way I'll be able to pull it off this week is if I get home tomorrow and get straight to work. I've played my guitar for a total of 15 minutes this week and my computer wasn't even turned on to record a single thing. The stress of taking over a position I'm not qualified for has just got me beaten down. I'm pulling it off, which is pretty damn cool, but it's taking every bit of energy I've got. Maybe it's time I finally write an acoustic/vocal tune like I've been wanting to do for a while.

Can you bounce the drum track into an audio track an then just EQ/tweak that audio track? Is it you that is using EZDrummer? If you are, open the mixer and crank up the ambience a good amount, back off the kick/snare, that'll get you a bit closer. I dig the programming you did in this one. Love how the second half is just rippin' after a fairly calm first half.

Congrats on the new position, and it sounds like it's stretching you to get better - which will make you more than qualified - as that's always a good thing (after the fact, but not necessarily during... :lol: ) I'm using BetaMonkey drum loops, but I have a few ideas I thought of yesterday after posting that I might try. And, I'll play with the ambiance as you suggest to see what that does for it. Thx!

Not much of a doom metal guy but I really dug the drum tempo on this one. Totally unexpected but really cool. Maybe because it reminds me of the My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult song off of The Crow soundtrack.

Thanks, the last few entires have been a force fed wreck on the struggle bus to write, this one just flowed in like 20 minutes. Love when that happens. Now to go back, fix the sour notes, do a proper bass track and maybe, finally, put some vocals on it.

Barring a miracle and suddenly not being ill I think this is the week I crash and burn and don't submit anything :(

Sorry ya still don't feel good. Make sure to jump back in when ya can, love all your entires so far.

This was way cool - your best entry yet, IMO. Love how it started out kinda 'late 80s guitar hero-ish' then took a totally unexpected turn that gave it depth and atmosphere. Good job!

7 Dying Trees
01-25-2019, 08:23 PM
About as fast as my brain is working today. But every entry counts!

https://soundcloud.com/7-dying-trees/s1w3-1

scole
01-25-2019, 09:16 PM
NICE! The harmony section(s) are really cool!

T Gobbs
01-25-2019, 11:17 PM
Was hoping to get more stuff going on in the background, but this is as far as I was able to get. If anyone has any critiques, hit me up!

https://soundcloud.com/user-870397866/saw-season-1-week-3

Rev Drucifer
01-26-2019, 12:09 AM
Well, it's 7:05PM and I'm sitting on my couch waiting for food to be delivered. We'll see where I'm at after I eat, I might head in the studio and see what I can pull out of my ass in 3-4 hours time. On my lunch break I came home and jammed for a little bit, came up with a cool melody using the Freqout pedal, so I might try to throw something together with that. I really don't want to fall off, but if I do, I'll be back in next week. Going to check out the newer submissions after dinner. 7DT made me feel a little better until he pulled something off....bastard, sink to the bottom with me!

Iron1
01-26-2019, 10:37 AM
About as fast as my brain is working today. But every entry counts!

https://soundcloud.com/7-dying-trees/s1w3-1

That makes a great contrasting song to your other ones. Now you're only 6-7 weeks from having the 7DT SAW full-length album.

Was hoping to get more stuff going on in the background, but this is as far as I was able to get. If anyone has any critiques, hit me up!

https://soundcloud.com/user-870397866/saw-season-1-week-3

Love how it kicks in after the intro, gets a little dissonant, then kinda goes on an almost Def Tone-ish cruise control after that. Good stuff.

Iron1
01-26-2019, 10:47 AM
Here's my final cleaned up, re-tracked version - at least final for now. On to the next one...

https://soundcloud.com/iron1/blood-on-my-hands-5-0-3