Thread: Song a Week Challenge, Season 1, Week 7 [Archive] - Metalguitarist.org

View Full Version : Thread: Song a Week Challenge, Season 1, Week 7

7 Dying Trees
02-16-2019, 08:33 PM
Into Week 7 of this season, we have 0 elimination (still more than welcome to contribute!)

Still in the running are:
Iron1
T Gobbs
scole

Honorable mentions:
Markus

As only 2 are left, either someone wins this week, or next week (week 8) will be a fitght to the death, and then we'll start a new season in march :)

Rules:
1) Submissions by end of play 22nd of February
2) Even if noone can check, the spirit is writing a song a week
3) No rules on genre, you don't even need to do the same style next week
4) Must be a song, unless you have a very (and I mean the kind that is beyond the ability of mere mortals) good argument for playing the same riff for 3+ minutes it won't fly
5) Entries composed on a tascam or without drums, whatever, also welcome, this is about writing a song, not dressing it up in lipstick and a short skirt
6) If you don't submit, you're eliminated (but you can still keep on submitting anyway as practice, this way the competitives get to be competitive, and the less so inclined still get to join in).

We will not:
1) Make people feel bad about mixing skills by turning this into a mixtest competition, it's about getting a load of us writing to a deadline, this is about writing, not about how awesome your headless kiesel sounds through an axe fx with superior drummer
2) Make people feel bad about how well it's recorded
3) Spam thread with songs we've had lying around for ages or anything non relevant to this competition and it's rules
4) Discourage anyone from participating
5) Tell anyone they suck. Songwriting is a skill, you learn it, some people will be better, others worse, this isn't a pissing competition
6) Steal others work or ideas.

Iron1
02-16-2019, 08:42 PM
Isn’t Scole still in?

7 Dying Trees
02-16-2019, 08:50 PM
oh, yeah, totally missed that...

scole
02-16-2019, 11:57 PM
:lol:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/54acc040fdac5cee3937bc6f2479487b/tenor.gif

Iron1
02-20-2019, 04:47 PM
https://soundcloud.com/iron1/the-breaking-3-3-0

Here's my entry for this week. Didn't really like it till I added some of the bass lines, and it got better... still not done, but I'm battling a sinus infection so I may not get the chance to do anymore by Friday.

T Gobbs
02-21-2019, 03:00 AM
https://soundcloud.com/iron1/the-breaking-3-3-0

Here's my entry for this week. Didn't really like it till I added some of the bass lines, and it got better... still not done, but I'm battling a sinus infection so I may not get the chance to do anymore by Friday.

That outro. :james:

The start/stop stuff at the beginning's really cool too. Lots of tension.

Iron1
02-21-2019, 12:27 PM
That outro. :james:

The start/stop stuff at the beginning's really cool too. Lots of tension.

Thanks, glad ya like it!

Rev Drucifer
02-22-2019, 03:08 AM
I admit I've been avoiding these threads because I feel like less of a man when I'm sitting here thinking "Man, I'd love to get in the studio right now...but I'm ready to fall asleep and I haven't even made dinner yet." :noplease:

You guys have all been doing great work and you can tell how everyone is improving a bit more week after week at getting good, cohesive ideas fleshed out. I've never seen this happen on any forum I've ever been on, which is pretty cool in my book.

Tuesday night I went and listened to everyone's tunes from the previous week and started writing a rant about how I'm too tired and work, blah blah, but I turned around and turned my amp on and banged out about 8 pretty slick riffs in D harmonic minor. I've never really dug into my modes nearly enough so once I got this one under my fingers a bit better, I got pretty inspired. I have a nice easy day tomorrow and might bail out of work a bit early, just maybe I'll want to organize everything when I get home and bust out a drum track.

Regardless, excellent work everyone. Your guys' continued effort is definitely inspiring.

scole
02-22-2019, 03:27 AM
My entry this week. If this song had a video, it would require Ola's kitten. :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/stevecolemusic/song-a-week-challenge-week-07

I've wanted to do something with my acoustic ever since T Gobbs' entry back in Week 5. A lot here that I'm really proud of such as the layering of the acoustic/keyboard/bass sections & the guitar solo. The solo isn't anything special since there's no pyrotechnics but I was able to write it in about a half hour and it has the best flow of any solo I've ever written so that's measurable progress for me. Normally I rely on piecing a solo together a measure or two at a time and (to my ears) it leaves the overall solo feeling a disjointed. Having this solo not feel that way (and land on notes within the underlying rhythm) makes me stoked. Gonna try to hit the distortion again this next week...

scole
02-22-2019, 03:34 AM
I admit I've been avoiding these threads because I feel like less of a man when I'm sitting here thinking "Man, I'd love to get in the studio right now...but I'm ready to fall asleep and I haven't even made dinner yet." :noplease:

You guys have all been doing great work and you can tell how everyone is improving a bit more week after week at getting good, cohesive ideas fleshed out. I've never seen this happen on any forum I've ever been on, which is pretty cool in my book.

Tuesday night I went and listened to everyone's tunes from the previous week and started writing a rant about how I'm too tired and work, blah blah, but I turned around and turned my amp on and banged out about 8 pretty slick riffs in D harmonic minor. I've never really dug into my modes nearly enough so once I got this one under my fingers a bit better, I got pretty inspired. I have a nice easy day tomorrow and might bail out of work a bit early, just maybe I'll want to organize everything when I get home and bust out a drum track.

Regardless, excellent work everyone. Your guys' continued effort is definitely inspiring.

Pretty much what it's all about for me. Listening to everyone's output has been cool because it's always surprising and unexpected since most users aren't posting their own music. I'll be taking the next season off, though. :cool:

Iron1
02-22-2019, 12:33 PM

Thanks, Rev. I loved the submissions you made. Hope you dive back in next season.

My entry this week. If this song had a video, it would require Ola's kitten. :lol:

Cool to see it stretching you - this seems like a great TV show soundtrack...

Pretty much what it's all about for me. Listening to everyone's output has been cool because it's always surprising and unexpected since most users aren't posting their own music. I'll be taking the next season off, though. :cool:

I'm out next season, too. One more week to go on this, though.

scole
02-22-2019, 02:49 PM
You know, you're right- it totally is some sitcom music. Hah.

Blankplank
02-22-2019, 07:58 PM
Quick Q, is there any kind of minimum length for song on this?

TheKindred
02-22-2019, 08:18 PM

same same. Will be back for the next season but just can't find the time or energy to really put together anything cohesive the last few weeks.

T Gobbs
02-23-2019, 06:31 AM

:wub:

Looking forward to hearing more stuff from you man!

I've wanted to do something with my acoustic ever since T Gobbs' entry back in Week 5. A lot here that I'm really proud of such as the layering of the acoustic/keyboard/bass sections & the guitar solo. The solo isn't anything special since there's no pyrotechnics but I was able to write it in about a half hour and it has the best flow of any solo I've ever written so that's measurable progress for me. Normally I rely on piecing a solo together a measure or two at a time and (to my ears) it leaves the overall solo feeling a disjointed. Having this solo not feel that way (and land on notes within the underlying rhythm) makes me stoked. Gonna try to hit the distortion again this next week...

Was that a vocoder in the background? Whatever it was, it sounded super cool. Really dug the solo too.

Cutting it close, but I made it in!

https://soundcloud.com/user-870397866/saw-season-1-week-7

astrocreep
02-23-2019, 08:25 AM
:wub:

Looking forward to hearing more stuff from you man!

Was that a vocoder in the background? Whatever it was, it sounded super cool. Really dug the solo too.

Great work as always guys!

Iron1
02-23-2019, 01:09 PM

Glad ya made it! That's good stuff right there.