Fair Warning: It all starts again monday 9th of march. Covers, Songs and Leads a Week [Archive] - Metalguitarist.org

View Full Version : Fair Warning: It all starts again monday 9th of march. Covers, Songs and Leads a Week

7 Dying Trees
03-06-2020, 10:14 AM
I'm going to start the cover/song and lead a week this monday. You'll have from the monday when the thread is posted, until the next monday when the next week's thread is put up to work on your submissions (It was saturday->friday, but basically, i'm crap at doing saturday mornings, so I'm moving the deadline to Sunday evening, like, evening meaning the point you go to sleep on that day. As in, I'll be doing the point totals monday morning at some point)

So, what is it?

Well, we did a song a week last year, and then also did a cover a week, and it had different people in each of them. Now, a song a week is quite hard at times, and even just finding the time to do a cover can be difficult, so there's a new thing we're going to try, which is Lead a Week.

So, what's the score? It's simple. Every week you complete an original song, a cover (or even a medley if you feel like it) or a lead. If you've got a lot of time, and are bored, you can do 2, or even all 3.

So what are the things you can submit?

Song a Week (SAW) Category:
- An original song, written and recorded in the space of a week
- You cannot steal others work. It has to be your own
- Submission via soundcloud link/youtube video or other medium that works on this forum.
- Keep to the spirit. If you have old tracks, post them up in a different thread somewhere.

Cover a Week (CAW) Category:
- Cover of a song, any song you like, in any style you like
- Do not post previously recorded covers. If you want likes, go post your bare ass in a see through thong on instagram or something.
- Again, keep to the spirit, it's meant to be a challenge, not a "here's one i recorded earlier"

Lead a Week (LAW) category
- A backing track will be provided in each weeks thread as a wav (most likely).
- The backing track will have a temp provided with it
- Backing tracks will be a minute long
- No rules on chopping it up, or rerecording it, or rearranging it
- Each backing track will be credited to the source. The author of the track retains all copyright to his/her music, so don't go abusing it.
- If you're lucky, someone might be able to tell you what key it's in.
- You have a week to record a lead line, lead lines, solos, whatever the hell you want over it

So, 3 things, and you can do 1, all or even none of them. Or you can do a cover one week, a song another, and a lead the week after. Up to you, but something for everyone, and only one thread to run for me.

Points: 10 points for each entry completed in a week. Figured it doesn't matter what you do, as long as you do something, and penalising those who only have time enough to do a lead is silly. Plus counting different point totals will be a bitch.

Having said that, do 2 things, you get 20 points, do 3 things, 30. Multiple entries of the same type do not score you more (been down that road before, it's too much of a pain in the ass to keep track of)

Got a few things to sort out, like getting some law backing tracks, and where to host them, but we should be good for monday!

Iron1
03-06-2020, 10:17 AM
I read the thread title as "FATES Warning" and was like "Sweet! New Fates Warning!" :lol:

Mr. S
03-06-2020, 12:59 PM
I can't wait to not have the time (or talent in the case of LAW :lol: ) to enter these. Definitely looking forward to hearing what people put out though. :metal:

Markus
03-06-2020, 01:14 PM
I'll give it a shot. I've been thinking of a few covers to try ("Moonlapse Vertigo" by Opeth [challenging], "Fragile Dreams" by Anathema [easy] :) ). If I have time I'll also write some doom, thrash, prog rock or whatever. I thought the doomy material I wrote last year was perhaps my best stuff.

Rev Drucifer
03-08-2020, 09:36 PM
Since I got my AxeFX I’ve been going through an re-tracking some older songs. I’ve been getting really bored with it lately as some of these tunes are 5 years old at this point. I decided today I’m starting fresh and just writing new songs. I’ve actually been in my studio almost daily for the last few weeks, just treading old ground with new sounds. Let’s see if something can be pulled from my ass this week!

Rev Drucifer
03-09-2020, 06:25 PM
Almost like clockwork, I was making my way across the property at work about 15 minutes before lunch time and a melody and some words slightly resembling lyrics popped in my head. I pulled out my phone and recorded a voice memo really quick so I wouldn’t forget it. Went home for lunch, turned on the AxeFX, opened Logic and figured out the actual notes of the melody then spent the rest of the time writing the chord/riff progression under neath it. Once I get that initial spark it’s easy to keep it going. I’ve definitely needed this to happen recently. When I go long periods without creating anything (guitar sounds don’t count) I start getting depressed/in a funky mood. That was just enough to get me excited to go home and get right back to it.