MG.ORG song, cover and lead challenge season 1, week 8 - Frenzy Edition! [Archive] - Metalguitarist.org

View Full Version : MG.ORG song, cover and lead challenge season 1, week 8 - Frenzy Edition!

7 Dying Trees
04-28-2020, 11:00 AM
So, here we are, week 8, and the final one of this inaugural of the mg.org something for everyone challenge. Born out of some people liking doing covers, whilst others like writing songs, with a combination of a few people just not having enough time to do full songs (hence the lead a week). Do one, 2 or all 3. Also, it means I only have to track one of these per week.

Had a lot of entires, a load of cool stuff, and it's been awesome!

Now, for this final week, it's frenzy time. Go nuts, every single entry counts, multiple entries per category are allowed, althjoughh in the spirit of things, every additional entry past the first one will score 5 points. So if you do 1 law, 1 saw, 1 caw you still get 30pts, if you do 3 laws, then you get 20.

The point totals after week 7 are as follows:
Connor: 90
Budda: 80
Markus: 80
Rev Drucifer: 70
scole: 70
Iron1: 70
Randy: 40
Mr S: 40
Bohmer: 30
7DT: 30
Brian: 20
Vince: 20
Greg McCoy: 10
sogma: 10
T Gobbs: 10
Mattayus: 10
Nick: 9

Rules are simple, do 1-3 things every week, Post your creations in the weekly thread as soundcloud/youtube links. I'm aiming to get various contributions for backing tracks, each one will be credited to the author. As it's the first week I'm doing a dropbox download, but we should get some dedicated hosting or something like that courtesy of chris. If you gave me a backing track, then you get bonus 10 points too, I am instigating that, as work should be rewarded. And points mean prizes (whatever that means)

The deadline for this week is end of play, Sunday 3rd of May

Short rules:
- You have until sunday midnight/monday morning to post your submission
- Either do an original song, a cover/medley or a lead over the provided backing track per week.
- Submissions must be stuff you've done this week, no matter how awesome an old track/recording is
- 10 points for each submission, per category.
- submissions as souncloud or youtube links. Well, as long as it is playable from a post in the thread really.
- You can do multiple entries per category, but only the first one will score points. (Although, for this final week, this isn't valid)
- no eliminations, do your stuff as and when you can
- leads can be layer, melodies, you can chop and rearrange the track, whatever floats your boat really
- Don't be a dick to other people. You can go to ss.org for that.
- Don't steal other peoples songs
- Don't steal backing tracks or pass it off as your own, give credit where it's due if you want to share your awesome yngwie malmsteen unleash the fjokking fjury face melting solo.

LAW Track:

This final week, go nuits, you can revisit old law tracks, and use whichever ones you want. Just don't repost a previous entry, but otherwise, have at it. ANy LAW track can be used.

LAW TRACKS (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ytsnyn7x1pfvro8/AAB3dZvWl7oHq006aW811zpFa?dl=0)

I'm constantly looking for LAW backing tracks, so, if you have something 1-1m30 (or a bit longer if slow) that you wish to donate, PM me. You get 10 points for being charitable and offering up a piece of music!

Have fun peoples!

Markus
04-28-2020, 11:48 AM
I tried to do a cover of Face of Melinda by Opeth last week, but as Opeth don't use any normal chords it turned out I needed more time to learn it. So I'll try to learn the rest and record it this week.

budda
04-28-2020, 02:12 PM
This will be fun.

Iron1
04-30-2020, 10:37 AM
Here's another SAW from me. Still feel like I could do more with the middle part, but want to try and churn out some more before the deadline, so this one is what it is for now.

https://soundcloud.com/iron1/covered-in-blood-3-1-6

budda
05-02-2020, 01:23 AM
SAW 8a for the people.

https://soundcloud.com/sears-was-here/saw-wk8-a

Iron1
05-02-2020, 10:06 AM
SAW 8a for the people.

https://soundcloud.com/sears-was-here/saw-wk8-a

Dig how chill that is. Could totally see listening to an album full of that after a long day to relax and de-stress.

budda
05-02-2020, 10:12 AM
Dig how chill that is. Could totally see listening to an album full of that after a long day to relax and de-stress.

Thanks man. The likelihood of that happening is pretty good :lol:.

Markus
05-02-2020, 11:34 AM
Here's my Face of Melinda cover.

https://soundcloud.com/user-651079288/saw-8-face-of-melinda-cover

budda
05-02-2020, 06:20 PM
Second SAW! Going over LAW stuff now.

https://soundcloud.com/sears-was-here/saw-wk8-b

budda
05-02-2020, 06:22 PM
Shoutout to Markus for taking on an Opeth cover :metal:.

budda
05-02-2020, 07:03 PM
LAW 8A, coming in.

https://soundcloud.com/sears-was-here/law-wk8-a

budda
05-03-2020, 02:55 PM
8B. A mix between going full Kerry King, and MATSOD :lol:. In my defense, I was playing my tele with a 1" neck :shred:. Maybe in future I will comp a solo instead...

https://soundcloud.com/sears-was-here/law-wk8-b

7 Dying Trees
05-04-2020, 02:16 PM
And so, we are the end of 8 weeks, hope everyone had fun, the final standings are as follows:

Budda: 110
Connor: 90
Markus: 90
Iron1: 80
Rev Drucifer: 70
scole: 70
Randy: 40
Mr S: 40
Bohmer: 30
7DT: 30
Brian: 20
Vince: 20
Greg McCoy: 10
sogma: 10
T Gobbs: 10
Mattayus: 10
Nick: 9

Thus, Budda is proclaimed Grand Moff in the field of extraordinary perserverance and excellence SCLAW challenge winner!

THanks to everyone for taking part, will start up another one in a week or 2-4 I think and let everyone have a rest?

Markus
05-04-2020, 02:57 PM
This last week was a Budda frenzy. :lol: Good job!

Thanks 7DT for organizing this! I think a few weeks of rest now would be a good idea.

scole
05-04-2020, 02:58 PM
Congrats, Budda! :yesway:

I fell off the earth the last 3 weeks with a combination of writer's block and an outside commitment that took up my time. Great to see some new blood in the mix this time around, tho!

budda
05-04-2020, 03:36 PM
I thought we would see more for the finale haha. This was a ton of fun James, thanks for putting it together. Looking forward to doing more! And maybe learning to write better solos :lol:.

Markus
05-04-2020, 05:55 PM
I fell off the earth the last 3 weeks with a combination of writer's block and an outside commitment that took up my time. Great to see some new blood in the mix this time around, tho!

Yeah, I was sort of burned out with writing halfway through - figured I'd just post a bunch of covers after that. It was good to learn some covers though, "Face of Melinda" especially was a little out of my comfort zone when it comes to playing and really forced me to practice, while when writing songs I find I seldom write anything that I need to practice to be able to play.

7 Dying Trees
05-04-2020, 07:49 PM
8 weeks is really tough, i only managed one :rofl:

Connor
05-04-2020, 10:58 PM
I, too, was burnt out, and also happened to be quite busy with work and school for the last few weeks.

Congrats to Budda! :yesway:

Thanks again to everyone who donated a backing track, and special thanks to 7DT for managing the whole thing :wub:

Randy
05-05-2020, 01:42 AM
Great job folks and congrats Budda. Really put the pedal to the floor at the end there :lol: Thanks 7DT and everyone that provided backing tracks.

I made the mistake of trying to do a cover a few weeks ago and it was a miserable amount of work and not a result I wanted after I put 4 hours into it. Couldn't get up the excitement to even open the thread or my recording computer after that. Gonna use it as a learning experience for next time.

Iron1
05-05-2020, 09:17 PM
Congrats Budda - great work!

And thanks to everyone who contributed - definitely a lot of super-cool listening material this season.

budda
05-06-2020, 12:23 AM
I like to think I got a bit better at recording as it went on. I'm now trying to mix my own material for release, so thanks for the push to play consistently!