Foreign Films [Archive] - Metalguitarist.org

View Full Version : Foreign Films

Sindwulf
04-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Anyone have any favorite films?

I just checked out one called, "Solaris." There is an American version with George Clooney but from what I heard it had little to do with this 1977 Russian work.

I didn't think it was "amazing" but since being a film from quite a bit ago and also Steven Spielberg has sited Andrei Tarkovsky (director of Russian Solaris) as an inspiration to make vivid films. The colors and the filming for Solaris was very well done.

Anyone else catch this film and/ or have any favorites ? I do also want to see Stalker from the same director.

Sebastian
04-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Solaris (movie) It is based on the science fiction novel by Polish writer Stanisław Lem
Well.. I didn't see it... :ugh:
But I like a lot of foreign movies... Polish... hmmm.. French :yesway:

Uber_Mega
04-02-2009, 12:16 AM
Oldboy is one of my favourite foreign language films, great movie!

Also there are some amazing, very dark Polish animated short films such as The Ark, Moloch and Katedra (not so dark) that i've really enjoyed.

playstopause
04-02-2009, 01:26 AM
I LOVE "foreign films".

Anything by the great masters or new directors, any decade. : Kieslowski (Poland), Fellini (Italy), Wenders (Germany), Antonioni (Italy), Kurosawa (Japan), Truffaut (France), Wong Kar Wai (Hong-Kong), Lynch (U.S.A), etc.

I'm quite a fan of german expressionism (1920-30's) German Expressionism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Expressionism)

Also a fan of the french new wave. (1950-60's) French New Wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_New_Wave)

And many, many other stuff. :lol:

Lee
04-02-2009, 01:30 AM
I watched Fremde Haut last weekend. That was a weird movie :lol:

eleven59
04-02-2009, 03:00 AM
I watch lots of foreign films. Like, anything from the US :fawk:

(seriously, though, I've been in Blockbuster stores in Canada and seen Canadian films on the "Foreign" shelf :wallbash: )

Naren
04-02-2009, 04:08 AM
Uhm, I don't really think in terms of "foreign films." Because, well, would Japanese movies be foreign movies? Well, they aren't foreign to me. I guess since I live in Japan, I could consider American movies "foreign films," but I don't because I'm American.

Good movies are good movies. I do tend to watch a ton of movies from countries other than the US in case that's what the question is asking. I watch more films from Japan than any other country (besides the US), but I also watch movies from Germany, Korea, China, the UK, Canada, France, Italy, Russia, India, Australia, and other countries as well. The main ones are from the US and Japan, I guess.

Of course, every country has good, bad, excellent, and horrible movies, so :lol:

Max
04-02-2009, 05:09 AM
the japanese version of pulse is great (japan clearly)
trois coleurs: rouge blanc et bleu is another favourite (france)
yojimbo of course (japan again)
chung king express (Hong Kong) (and anything else done by wong kar wai)

and my alltime favourite, a taste of cherry (iran, abbas kairostami)

Sindwulf
04-02-2009, 07:02 AM
Well whatever taste anyone may have, the thing someone may have is that American "Art" may have is that is seems to have more to do with 'Selling' than it does with art. It makes it seem anything foreign almost makes it seem superior to American artwork.

Scar Symmetry from the sevenstring Forum made a similiar point to this about the Amerian industry whether this had anything to do with Art or Video games or films they seem to end in the same way it seems. It's no wonder we receive cheap thrills these days like really amazing special effects these days. It makes me think that does the peopoe "really" think we succumb to that kind of shit or does think we really think we like that shit over actual substance.

Max
04-02-2009, 04:50 PM
oh very much. there are tons of amazing american films, not just in the far past.

look at jarmusch or hartley

Ambrosius
04-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Faust (1926)

The camera work was amazing for the time. The soundtrack was simply badass.

Not a modern foreign film, but foreign nonetheless.

DelfinoPie
04-02-2009, 06:50 PM
"Downfall" is a wicked German film about the last few hours of the Third Reich with an awe-inspiring performance from Bruno Gantz.

"The Lives of Others" is another great German film.

"La Haine" is one of my favourite French films

"City of God"...in my top 10 films of all time. Absolutely amazing Brazilian film.

Also, check out "Amores Perros" and "Volver" :yesway:

Vegetta
04-11-2009, 04:38 AM
Japanese version of The Eye
Brotherhood of the wolf (French)
Seven Samurai (anything Kurosawa)
Ichi the Killer
Lone Wolf and Cub Movies
Karate Bear Fighter _ Sonny Chiba = WIN (STREET FIGHTER!!)
Zaitoichi (also like the Hanzo the Razor movies with Shintaro Katsu)
City of Lost Children (french)
The Devils Backbone & Pan's Labyrinth (Spanish)

I saw the original Solaris - didn't really do much for me (The remake did even less tho)

DelfinoPie
04-11-2009, 05:16 AM
I watched "Let the right one in" yesterday which was awesome. Pretty annoyed to hear that roughly 6 months down the line they're already doing an english language remake.

It's annoying because the cinema screening was the most full of all the films I've been to see this year...proving that people are willing to read subtitles so we can stop churning out a poor-mans version just for the sake of not having to 'read a film' :noway:

Sindwulf
04-11-2009, 07:52 AM
I've always hated dubbs. Many times dubbers seem to be untrained actors and usually forget the feeling and emotion of a particular line of a line and it's unique to each language.

Naren
04-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Japanese version of The Eye

There is no Japanese version of The Eye. There are an American remake, an Indian remake, and the original Chinese (Hong Kong) film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eye_(2002_film)

Markus
04-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Das Boot is an amazing movie about a german sub in World War II. Probably the best submarine movie ever.

Das Boot (1981) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082096/)

La Vita Bella

La vita è bella (1997) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118799/)

This one might be familiar to a lot of people, as it won 3 Oscars in 1999. It really is a touching story.