Metal Guitarist Forums banner

VST's that don't suck

Tags
suck vst
3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  briansol 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a bass guitar and drum kit VST that doesn't sound like shit.

I can't get anything remotely 'metal'. It's jazz bass and marching band drum kit.

Suggestions?

I use cubase SE 3 (but it shouldn't matter.... vst is vst for the most part i think)

#2 ·
I've been looking for an AU drum kit for metal that doesn't suck forever. Then I tried to build my own from samples I downloaded and after testing thousands of samples that all sucked I gave up and that was just trying to get a good kick and snare, I didn't even make it to the other drums :wallbash:

It looks like a case of get what you pay for.

#3 ·
For drums, I'd look into Addictive Drums, something from Toontrack, or Steven Slate drums. For bass, I think Eastwest had something with bass in it (Ministry of Rock maybe? Though there may be a more bass-centric plugin.), and I believe one of the Vir2 products has an EBMM bass in it.

#9 ·
I think that's the major lacking element of the Lm7 that comes with cubase. The options just don't do anything.

I'll try a couple of these suggestions and see what i can come up with.

I realize that nothing beats a true accustic drum kit... but even if i had one, i'm no drummer. I could never pull off the stuff i want on it (at least in time :D)

#5 ·
It's not a VST, it's a program in it's own right, but i use Acoustica Beatcraft. You make your drums in the sequencer and then just mix it down to a wav, load that into your DAW and play over it.

In a way i prefer it to a VST because it's not using processing power up whilst you're recording, so it's perfect for if your system isn't very up-to-date like mine

#8 ·
I am not sure if you can do it in other DAW's but in Garageband you can lock down your tracks to save on processing power. I was recording tone tests yesterday, I had a shit load of tracks and had all my usual mess of applications open in the background as per usual, I started to notice a tiny bit of latency but as soon as I locked down all the tracks except for the two I was recording the latency disappeared.

#7 ·
I use Battery 2 with Drum Kit from Hell samples. Drums always take a bit of touching up to make them sound metal and huge.

Rule of thumb: cut what you don't want, boost very sparingly, and compression, panning, and reverb can be your best friend or worst enemy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.