Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Guitar refinishing and rebuild project!

5K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  zepp 
#1 ·
I've been planning for a while to refinish the body from my first electric guitar, and slap some better parts onto it to create a Parts-O-Caster of sorts. So far I have the body (of course) a Wilkinson trem and a Strat pickguard, later I'll be getting a Mighty Mite neck (since they're pretty cheap) and probably a DiM YJM single coil set for it.

But, today I bought some tung oil and went to work! This is my first time doing any type of wood finishing, luckily my goal isn't to make this guitar look amazing :lol: although, it's already looking better. I've only put on coat on so far, and I probably should have been wearing gloves, this stuff is stickier than all of JJs possessions. Special thanks to Elysian for the tips on the tung oil.

PICS!

See less See more
#3 ·
From what I remember, he said to apply about six coats throughout the day and let it dry overnight, then to steel wool it and repeat until you have it looking the way you want it.

I think that's it :lol:

#4 ·
They way I've been told to go (and have done for years) is apply one coat, let it dry 24 hours, and then repeat a solid number of times (4-6 is a good baseline, but if you don't want to have to reapply every so often, do 10-15)

#8 ·
I plan to put about a million coats on it, darken it up as much as I can. Since basswood is so light though I don't think I'll be able to get it ultra dark.

Nah, I don't think I'll scallop the board, maybe I'll get one with massive frets! :lol:

#12 ·
Got some parts, and put them on the guitar for your viewing pleasure, all I need now are the pickups and neck, and this may take awhile due to monies.

The finish turned out alright I suppose, basswood just isn't a very good looking wood :lol:

....and I'm no Mike Sherman by a long shot.

#15 ·
I put the neck on today, it didn't come predrilled, so that was fun. I have the utmost respect for luthiers...even more so now, even the tiniest things matter a ton.

Who can spot my flaws? :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.