Google to introduce PC operating system [Archive] - Metalguitarist.org

View Full Version : Google to introduce PC operating system

ohio_eric
07-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Google to introduce PC operating system - Tech & gadgets- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31791017/ns/tech_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/)

SUN VALLEY, Idaho

Google is working on a new operating system for inexpensive computers in a daring attempt to wrest away Microsoft's long-running control over people's computing experience.

The new operating system, announced late Tuesday night on Google's Web site, will be based on the company's nine-month-old Web browser, Chrome. Google intends to rely on help from the community of open-source programmers to develop the Chrome operating system, which is expected to begin running computers in the second half of 2010.

The Mountain View, Calif.-based company disclosed its plans for the operating system shortly after an online technology news service, Ars Technica, and The New York Times telegraphed the news on their Web sites.

Google is designing the operating system primarily for "netbooks," a lower-cost, less powerful breed of laptop computers that is becoming increasingly popular among budget-conscious consumers primarily interested in surfing the Web.

The operating system represents Google's boldest challenge yet to its biggest nemesis Microsoft.

A high-stakes duel between the two technology powerhouses has been steadily escalating in recent years as Google's dominance of the Internet's lucrative search market has given it the means to threaten Microsoft in ways that few other companies can.

Google already has rankled Microsoft by luring away some of its top employees and developing an online suite of computer programs that provide an alternative to Microsoft's top-selling word processing, spreadsheet and calendar applications.

Meanwhile, Microsoft has been trying to thwart Google by investing billions of dollars to improve its own Internet search and advertising systems to little avail so far. In the past month or so, though, Microsoft has been winning positive reviews and picking up more users with the latest upgrade to its search engine, now called "Bing." Microsoft is hailing the makeover with a $100 million marketing campaign.

Now Google is aiming for Microsoft's financial jugular with Chrome its operating system.

Microsoft has drawn much of its power and profits from the Windows operating system that has steered most personal computers for the past two decades.

Google's chief executive, Eric Schmidt, and its co-founders, Larry Page and Sergey Brin, have made little attempt to conceal their disdain for Windows in recent years.

Schmidt maintains Microsoft sometimes unfairly rigs its operating system to limit consumer choices something that Microsoft has consistently denied doing. Google fears Microsoft could limit access to its search engine and other products if Windows is set up to favor Microsoft products in the default settings.

Page and Brin have frequently derided Windows as a clunky operating system susceptible to computer viruses and other security problems.

Google made a veiled reference to Windows' perceived shortcomings in its blog posting.

"We hear a lot from our users and their message is clear computers need to get better," wrote Sundar Pichai, Google's vice president of product management and Linus Upson, Google's engineering director.

A Microsoft spokesman didn't immediately respond to an e-mail request for comment sent early Wednesday morning.

Schmidt and Brin are expected to discuss Google's new operating system later this week when they appear at a media conference hosted by Allen & Co. at the Sun Valley resort in Idaho.

Despite its own power and prominence, Google won't have an easy time changing the status quo that has governed the personal computing industry for so long.

As an example of how difficult it is to topple a long-established market leader, Google estimates about 30 million people are now using its Chrome browser a fraction of those that rely on Microsoft's market-leading Internet Explorer. And there have been various attempts to develop open-source software to undermine Microsoft with relatively little effect.

The Chrome operating system will run in a new windowing system on top of a Linux kernel computer coding that has been the foundation for the open-source software movement for nearly two decades.

Google has already introduced an operating system for mobile devices, called Android, that vies against various other systems, including ones made by Microsoft and Apple.

The Android system worked well enough to entice some computer makers to begin developing netbooks that will eventually run on it.

Google, though, apparently believes a Chrome-based system will be better suited for running applications in netbooks.

"We believe choice will drive innovation for the benefit of everyone, including Google," wrote Pichai and Upson.

Drew
07-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Interesting... Not surprising, but interesting nonetheless.

Vegetta
07-08-2009, 04:47 PM
I say F Google. Even tho their motto is "Don't be Evil" their business practices are starting to make Microsoft look saintly. Google is a bloated shell of what it once was.

If you ever used adwords you would know just how bad google are screwing people :(

They need to improve analytics a shit ton and make it easier to link analytic accounts to adword accounts (now you can basically only link 1 analytic account to 1 adwords campaign, so if you have several clients you need to create a bunch of individual analytics accounts just so you can link them to each adwords campaign (for tracking ROI) THis functionality should be availble natively from within adwords (especially considering hte cost) but Google doesnt do this in order ot keep results murky and have people spend money they wouldnt spend had the reporting options been better.

Plus analytics doesnt even work all that great, sure it'll make tons of neat graphs but when you start comparing the results to your server logs or proggys like awstats you find a large number of inconsistencies . Not a huge deal unless you need to track ROI from online advertising or ads from other media.

As for a google os - Yeah they want open souce to do all the work then they will slap their name on it and sell it for a profit.

I spend a shit-ton of money on adwords accounts - so they have made me bitter :lol:

Josh
07-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Google Analytics and Ad-words are a monstrosity. I used to work with them, and it's just a clusterfuck that makes Google tons of money at the expense of marketing departments everywhere. Especially now that you can buy your competitor's ad-words at auction and put your site up there... it makes sense from a free market perspective, but leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Also, I don't like the fact that they assume that a legion of open-source programmers are just going to help them develop their OS at no cost- but the worst part of it is that they will likely get a lot of interest.

My hope is that this coming OS war doesn't have very much consumer fallout.

stealthtastic
07-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Wirelessly posted (shsjdjfueyktlgdffiofhfjeofyefh: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4B1 Safari/419.3)

More competition is always good for the consumer :yesway:

Vegetta
07-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Google Analytics and Ad-words are a monstrosity. I used to work with them, and it's just a clusterfuck that makes Google tons of money at the expense of marketing departments everywhere. Especially now that you can buy your competitor's ad-words at auction and put your site up there... it makes sense from a free market perspective, but leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Also, I don't like the fact that they assume that a legion of open-source programmers are just going to help them develop their OS at no cost- but the worst part of it is that they will likely get a lot of interest.

My hope is that this coming OS war doesn't have very much consumer fallout.

Ugh dont get me started on buying a competitors ad-words- That encourages sponging off of other peoples hard work and reputation.

The really sad thing is as bad as Google is Yahoo is 10,000 times worse :lol:
a complete cluster ot try to adiminister. When you consider that yahoo only gets a small % of google's traffic its a no brainer to just ignore it and put your money in google instead...

Josh
07-08-2009, 06:08 PM
The really sad thing is as bad as Google is Yahoo is 10,000 times worse :lol:
a complete cluster ot try to adiminister. When you consider that yahoo only gets a small % of google's traffic its a no brainer to just ignore it and put your money in google instead...

That's exactly what we did :shrug: Google is bad enough, it was not worth our time to even bother with Yahoo.

Jeff
07-08-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm really getting sick of Google. Let's make a fucking web based OS, and run everything from a browser? RIIGGHHHTTTT.

Because GMail/Google Calendars/Maps etc never goes down, right? :rolleyes:

They should have just decided to really give Ubuntu a bigger boost by developing stuff for that, since it's the leading horse on the desktop right now.

Josh
07-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Agreed, Jeff. Ubuntu really is king, and I'd rather see that go somewhere than a Google OS.

Elysian
07-08-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm really getting sick of Google. Let's make a fucking web based OS, and run everything from a browser? RIIGGHHHTTTT.

Because GMail/Google Calendars/Maps etc never goes down, right? :rolleyes:

They should have just decided to really give Ubuntu a bigger boost by developing stuff for that, since it's the leading horse on the desktop right now.

They copied Palm's webOS for the Pre... Literally, its all a copy. The Pre's synergy, the browser based apps(Javascript/CSS based on the Pre, though there are other API's being worked on to do more), hell even linux based, I'm sure the list could go on.

zepp
07-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Wirelessly posted (shsjdjfueyktlgdffiofhfjeofyefh: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4B1 Safari/419.3)

More competition is always good for the consumer :yesway:

That's the way I see it, I think it's great that Google is doing this simply because of this fact.

I think Google is making an error here though, since I've read at least one article from an analyst that said the netbook "trend" may not be a lasting one. If I was Google I'd try a more aggressive approach and try to take some of the desktop market, hell joining with Ubuntu would be a great idea...

JBroll
07-09-2009, 02:57 AM
The netbook trend isn't going to do too well when XP runs like a triple amputee and the 'Linux' offering of the Eee loses its appeal to anyone who has developed past Fisher-Price toys... I love the hell out of mine, but I had to put a different distro on and use an SD card for music storage to enjoy using it at all. Even then, I only use it to browse, listen to music, and ssh to my desktop anytime I need something more complicated than taking notes... the biggest problem seems to be that people expect to pay $200 for a machine that fits in a cargo pocket, plays Crysis, and solves world hunger and judge the things based on absurd expectations.

Jeff

Josh
07-09-2009, 04:26 PM
The netbook trend isn't going to do too well when XP runs like a triple amputee and the 'Linux' offering of the Eee loses its appeal to anyone who has developed past Fisher-Price toys... I love the hell out of mine, but I had to put a different distro on and use an SD card for music storage to enjoy using it at all. Even then, I only use it to browse, listen to music, and ssh to my desktop anytime I need something more complicated than taking notes... the biggest problem seems to be that people expect to pay $200 for a machine that fits in a cargo pocket, plays Crysis, and solves world hunger and judge the things based on absurd expectations.

Jeff

I honestly love my XP-running Eee 901, and I know several of my friends have bought one as a result of mine. For a lightweight internet-surfing, Top Gear episode-watching, IM-client-running, PDF-viewing, Diablo-playing device with a long battery life and light weight/small size, it does very very well by me.

The occasional stutters when streaming Youtube are hardly ideal, but not a deal-breaker. One of my friends is testing a prototype ION-based Eee with the Atom N280, and it solves a lot of my problems (you can even run COD4 on it!) Too bad it probably will never see the light of day thanks to Intel and Microsoft's limitations on platform certification and the limitations they put on these netbooks to keep them from eating into "real" notebook sales.

zepp
07-09-2009, 11:00 PM
I've got the EeePC 701 series....it's a pretty neat toy...

Jeff
07-10-2009, 02:23 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Jeff

I honestly love my XP-running Eee 901, and I know several of my friends have bought one as a result of mine. For a lightweight internet-surfing, Top Gear episode-watching, IM-client-running, PDF-viewing, Diablo-playing device with a long battery life and light weight/small size, it does very very well by me.

The occasional stutters when streaming Youtube are hardly ideal, but not a deal-breaker. One of my friends is testing a prototype ION-based Eee with the Atom N280, and it solves a lot of my problems (you can even run COD4 on it!) Too bad it probably will never see the light of day thanks to Intel and Microsoft's limitations on platform certification and the limitations they put on these netbooks to keep them from eating into "real" notebook sales.

I don't know about that; Lenovo has the S12 which will have the Ion soon.

Josh
07-10-2009, 06:19 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I don't know about that; Lenovo has the S12 which will have the Ion soon.

Shows what happens when I get out of the loop on the mobile/low power industry for 6 months :lol:

Last time I heard, Intel was waffling about, alternately saying they would not certify ION (or not sell the Atom without the 945GSE chipset bundled), and saying that they had said no such thing :lol:

My main question is this: Is the Lenovo S12 a netbook-class notebook? If so, then that's awesome. If not, then Intel and Microsoft have simply certified the ION platform for non-netbook use.

I ask because I know netbooks are extremely restricted on a hardware level because Intel, Microsoft, and many other companies do not want them cutting into the sales of traditional notebooks.

Jeff
07-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Shows what happens when I get out of the loop on the mobile/low power industry for 6 months :lol:

Last time I heard, Intel was waffling about, alternately saying they would not certify ION (or not sell the Atom without the 945GSE chipset bundled), and saying that they had said no such thing :lol:

My main question is this: Is the Lenovo S12 a netbook-class notebook? If so, then that's awesome. If not, then Intel and Microsoft have simply certified the ION platform for non-netbook use.

I ask because I know netbooks are extremely restricted on a hardware level because Intel, Microsoft, and many other companies do not want them cutting into the sales of traditional notebooks.

Yeah, it's a netbook. Same S series as their other netbooks, Atom proc, no optical, cheap.

It's available now with a regular 945 or Via, and will be available next month with the Ion for a $50 up charge. Definitely worth it. It's 12" though, which is getting to be a little bigger than I'd like for a netbook, but still small.

Josh
07-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Yeah, it's a netbook. Same S series as their other netbooks, Atom proc, no optical, cheap.

It's available now with a regular 945 or Via, and will be available next month with the Ion for a $50 up charge. Definitely worth it. It's 12" though, which is getting to be a little bigger than I'd like for a netbook, but still small.

Nice, although I think 9" is the perfect netbook size myself. 12" puts it in a slightly different category, but the ION option is very tempting.

Now, what I don't understand is why they even offer the VIA option. VIA's best offering (the "new" Nano) is at least one development cycle (if not more) behind the Atom. The Nano is technically faster, but draws a fair bit more power and is let down even harder by its bundled chipsets.

Jeff
07-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Nice, although I think 9" is the perfect netbook size myself. 12" puts it in a slightly different category, but the ION option is very tempting.

Now, what I don't understand is why they even offer the VIA option. VIA's best offering (the "new" Nano) is at least one development cycle (if not more) behind the Atom. The Nano is technically faster, but draws a fair bit more power and is let down even harder by its bundled chipsets.

I totally agree; I don't get it either. And I also agree about the screen size. I'm not thrilled with the 12" either, and may still wait to see if something in the 10" realm comes out with the Ion.

Josh
07-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Like I said, I know Asus has tooled up for a 10" ION, as a friend of mine who does hardware testing for them has an engineering sample. I'd rather have an Eee than a Lenovo S anyways since I'm so used to mine, so here's hoping.