Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Firewire Interfaces

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Gearwhore20 
#1 ·
I am looking to go a bit more mobile with my recording and I am looking at Firewire interfaces.

A few required tidbits:

It must be compatible with the new MacBook Pros and possibly Snow Leopard

It must work with Logic 9

Thats pretty much about it. I am looking for personal experiences as well, not regurgitation from manuals. I have read most of the manuals for the biggies, IU am looking for personal experiences if I can to get a real world feel of what I am in for.

#2 ·
How many inputs are you looking for & what's your price range?

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. Sometime within the next week I'll be picking up a new MBP with Logic 9. Although I've had borrowed a MBP with a FireFace800 on and off for the past couple of months. That was a very stable system, although pricey.

My plans are to try and keep a Tascam FW-1884 that I've been using for a few years now. According to the Online Manuals for Logic 9, that interface/surface controller is still being supported. But I guess we'll see if Snow Leopard throws a monkey wrench into those plans.

#18 ·
I got my hands of a saffire pro40 a while back and am very pleased with it, should run with a mac no problem, it also has direct hardware monitoring, and a loopback function, all very usefull.

I did a fair amount of research, and despite some negative reviews stemming from the unit being initially shipped with faulty firewire leads, it's got really good reviews (check out the sound on sound one, they do good reviews)

So far it's been a breeze to use, has more i/o than you'll ever need and has midi in/out as well, basically the lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.