Help! [Archive] - Metalguitarist.org

View Full Version : Help!

JustAnIntermediate
04-28-2010, 08:28 AM
I there im new to this forum!

Ive only been playing for about 4 years now so im not very good, but could someone give some tips on how to practise the fast parts of metallica? Im a huge fan and can play lots of their songs, just not the solos.

Also does someone have a collection of relatively easy but cool sounding metal riffs?

Thanks

:james:Metallica Rules

Naren
04-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Have you learned how to alternate pick yet? Because with Metallica, the slow and mid-tempo rhythm guitar stuff is all down-picked and the really really fast rhythm guitar stuff is alternate picked. And solos are 100% alternate picked.

And, regardless of whether you're playing Metallica or something 10x faster than Metallica or something much slower, alternate picking is just something you should know.

JustAnIntermediate
04-29-2010, 05:28 AM
Yep I can just not like

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0 really fast

thefailshredder
04-29-2010, 12:12 PM
I hate to contradict anyone so blatantly (unless it were about Porcupine Tree), but the solos are full of hammers and pulls (Master of Puppets, Creeping Death, etc). There are all sorts of little tricks that almost all lead guitarists use (consciously or not) to avoid picking everything, because it's inefficient and gets sloppy fast (unless you're Paul Gilbert or Rusty Cooley, and PG would be the first to admit he doesn't actually pick everything).

OTOH, alternate picking is something good to know, especially for rhythm guitar. Practice to a metronome until you've got a good sense of rhythm -- METRONOME ONLINE - free! (http://www.metronomeonline.com/) is a good one.

Drew
04-29-2010, 03:31 PM
I hate to contradict anyone so blatantly (unless it were about Porcupine Tree), but the solos are full of hammers and pulls (Master of Puppets, Creeping Death, etc). There are all sorts of little tricks that almost all lead guitarists use (consciously or not) to avoid picking everything, because it's inefficient and gets sloppy fast (unless you're Paul Gilbert or Rusty Cooley, and PG would be the first to admit he doesn't actually pick everything).

OTOH, alternate picking is something good to know, especially for rhythm guitar. Practice to a metronome until you've got a good sense of rhythm -- METRONOME ONLINE - free! (http://www.metronomeonline.com/) is a good one.

1.) Fuck you, you porcupine-tree-hating heathen! :lol:

2.) well, the choice to alternate pick vs use legato techniques is as much part of one's personal style as it is anything else, but certainly a LOT of Metallica solos feature fast alternate picked lines, even if occasionally there will also be legato or tapped sections. The two techniques sound totally different, so it's not like you can use one to get around the other.

To the OP - do you own a metronome? The reality is there's no "trick" to playing that fast, save for a LOT of metronome practice. Either go out and buy one, or go download a free program - I do a lot of practicing with the Fruity Loops demo set with a kick on the downbeat of one, snare on the downbeat of 3, and a 16th note hihat click, but I'm also a big fan of this program:

YMetronome: An Update and a Request [Archive] - John Petrucci Forums (http://www.petrucciforum.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-37958.html)

Then, just do scale or chromatic drills. Here's one of my favorites:

|---------------------------------|---------1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2---------|
|---------------------------------|-1-2-3-4-----------------5-4-3-2-|
|-------------------------1-2-3-4-|---------------------------------|
|-----------------1-2-3-4---------|---------------------------------|
|---------1-2-3-4-----------------|---------------------------------|
|-1-2-3-4-------------------------|---------------------------------|

|---------------------------------|---------------------------------|
|---------------------------------|---------------------------------|
|-5-4-3-2-------------------------|-------------------------3-4-5-6-|
|---------5-4-3-2-----------------|-----------------3-4-5-6---------|
|-----------------5-4-3-2---------|---------3-4-5-6-----------------|
|-------------------------5-4-3-2-|-3-4-5-6-------------------------|

It's cool because it works a couple things:

1.) First, it's a variation of a very traditional chromatic picking drill, designed to build coordination between your picking and fretting hands, both along a single string and while changing from string to string.
2.) Second, it involves position changes - there's a slide from the 4 at the top of the first ascent to the 5 when you start working your way down, and again from the 2 to the 3 when you get back to the E.
3.) It also works on building coordination while your fretting hand is "hitting onto" strings, ascending up the string, as well as "pulling off of" strings, coming back down the string. Note that these aren't actually hit ons and pull offs, since they're picking and the pick attack should be occuring right at the transition, but the mechanics of going from the 4th fret to the 5th are actually a lot different than going from the 5th to the 4th.
4.) It also eventually covers the entire neck, if you keep ascending until you run out of frets and then work your way back down. This actually works your fretting hand in different ways, since the orientation of your fretting hand to the neck changes as you ascend up the neck.

Also, since that's a very, um, not-musical drill, I'll also do a lot of scale based stuff:

|-----------------------------5-6-|-8-6-5---------------------------|
|-----------------------5-6-8-----|-------8-6-5---------------------|
|-------------------5-7-----------|-------------7-5-----------------|
|-------------5-7-8---------------|-----------------8-7-5-----------|
|-------5-7-8---------------------|-----------------------8-7-5-----|
|-5-6-8---------------------------|-----------------------------8-6-|

This is just a D minor scale (root is the 5th fret, A string), played from the A a 4th below. Loop this - technically, this isn't the most efficient way to pick this (you'd probably want to do it as a 3 note per string pattern, 5-7-9 on the G instead of 5-7, and then switching to 6-8-10 for the B and high E), but the change up from three notes to two, per string, from the D to G is actually kind of a nice picking challenge to work through, and is the sort of thing solid picking technique should be able to blow through without a hurdle.

This is just a jumping off point... Start slow, play with a metronome to make sure you're perfectly tight, and gradually build speed. It takes ages, but the payoff is huge.

Leon
04-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Drew, post more lessons! :wub:

OP, I imagine you're mostly trying to use your wrist. Try throwing some elbow in there, too.

Kim
04-29-2010, 03:51 PM
and while you're at it. make sure you relax your shoulder.

eleven59
04-29-2010, 03:57 PM
"It's all in the hips"

http://blogs.tampabay.com/.a/6a00d83451b05569e20120a6b92b38970b-450wi

:D