Metal Guitarist Forums banner

NBD - Ibby content

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  HamBungler 
#1 ·
So for awhile now I've been playing bass for a death metal outfit called Killing of the Dead and have been having a blast trying new stuff out with bass. Unfortunately for the longest time I've been playing on my sucky Lyon by Washburn bass that I got for free from my uncle. It worked alright for the time being but knowing how OCD I am about getting the best sound possible, I've been craving a new instrument. So yesterday I strolled into the local GC and picked up this bad boy:

An Ibanez SR305!

Early morning Bungler approves!

So far I'm really digging this bass. I had no idea this was a lower-end Ibby until I looked it up online. This bass has a lot of natural resonance and low-end, and the active EQ controls are really awesome. That and I got an awesome deal on it, so I'm pretty satisfied!

See less See more
#3 ·
Its an SR305 from around 2008-09. I must say I was surprised to find out it was made of Agathis but I must have gotten a good piece because she sounds punchy as hell. Plays pretty damn well too, though I need to get a fatter 5th string since I'm tuning it to G with the rest of it in open C.

#4 ·
Wow, I didn't know the SR's of today were that smooth. I just sold an old 97 SR805 because my band tunes to C# standard which means G# for my bottom. The 34" wasn't cutting it, but now I feel the 35" I just bought isn't either...

I've neem borrowing an SR405 from a friend for a few months now and I must say it is NICE compared to my old SR805. The new ibby basses that are out today are really surprising!

#5 ·
Yeah, I was playing on another Soundgear bass with this band that I was borrowing from my guitar player's sister and that was also pretty good, but then she wanted it back haha. I dig em' though, the 5 string neck feels surprisingly similar to my 7's neck.

#11 ·
Yeah, that was one of the reasons I initially thought it was a higher-midrange bass. Definitely fooled me, and its a nice touch! :D

I love that they've brought the more contoured SR body to the lower-end models. Those slab-body ones they were doing for a while weren't true to the whole SR aesthetic.

Sweet bass! Sounds like you definitely got a good one.
That was one of the main reasons I bought it, this thing just fits me so nice, and with the leather strap I got on there it doesn't even feel like its there. I'm definitely content.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.