Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Tung Oil = \m/

Tags
m or oil tung
2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  StringSkipper90 
#1 ·
One of my roommates picked up an unfinished wood stepstool, and in the past month and change it had begun to show some wear and oxidize a bit and generally just not look awesome. So, since I didn't have much else planned for today, I gave it a quick burnish with 0000-grade steel wool, and then gave it a first coat of tung oil.

And then, since I figured why stop there, I pulled the neck off my UV for its more-or-less annual reapplication of tung oil.

Wood just looks so much more awesome with a good tung oil finish than it does bare. :yesway:

Reactions: Jason
#2 ·
And it's stupid easy to apply. The Formbys I use (which is polymer based) looks and works like a varnish, but I can apply it with a SOCK and it comes out smooth. Certainly can't do that with Spar Varnish or Poly and have it come out decent.

#7 ·
All oil finishes "polymerize" over time. As parts of the oil evaporate, the molecules cross-link into a "polymer" finish.

Oil finishes that are "polymerized" are heat-treated to accelerate this process. But the resulting oil is too thick to apply smoothly and evenly, so they have solvents added to them to thin them down and make them easier to apply and quicker to dry.

Advantages of straight tung oil: Low odour, no solvents, food safe, non-yellowing.
Disadvantages: Slower to cure, takes longer to build a thick finish.

Advantages of polymerized tung oil finish: Dries faster, cures in less time.
Disadvantages: Slightly more "yellow" than straight tung oil, solvents make it a little more of a nuisance to work with due to the odour.

When working with polymerized tung oil, make sure you dispose of rags properly. The solvents are flammable, and can spontaneously combust if wadded-up rags are left to oxidize.

#6 ·
Eh... If it was professionally oil finished maybe not, and if you put enough coats on if you did it yourself maybe not, but it certainty doesn't hurt to reapply every so often.

When I stripped my first neck, a 7620, I got myself into the habit of tung oiling the back of the neck every time I did a full fretboard clean and polish. When I first applied tung oil I only did about 3 coats or so (at 24 hours drying time, that's a LONG time without your main seven!) so this way I was able to get it playable again pretty quickly but still gradually build it up over time.

My UV I think was oiled by a former owner, and in the time I've owned it I've added another 5-6 coats, probably. The neck feels awesome. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.