EMG 81 + 81TW wiring [Archive] - Metalguitarist.org

View Full Version : EMG 81 + 81TW wiring

Leon
11-26-2010, 02:44 PM
So, I've got an EMG 81 and EMG 81TW bound for the LTD EX50 Hetsplorer. Here's kinda what I'd like to do:

3-way switch:

Bridge 81
Neck 81TW
Neck 81TW single

Knobs:

3-way switch
Volume for Neck
Volume for Bridge / push-pull (cut for battery and output)

I checked out EMG's wiring pages, and they don't seem to have any good diagrams for hard-wiring these things, which I think I'll have to do to do what I want to do. I'll have to do some reading on what wires connect to what in each pickup. Any EMG tips I need to consider?

Leon
11-26-2010, 11:14 PM
I looked around, and can't find a diagram explaining what wires go to what parts in the 81TW. Anyone know where I can find that?

jaxadam
11-26-2010, 11:42 PM
I have a guitar with a slightly similar setup. I've got an 81TW in the bridge, with an 89 in the neck. I used a three way switch, and a push/pull on the volume to split the 81TW and a push/pull pot on the tone to split the 89.

Any way you can get a push/pull for the neck volume to use it as the split?

Leon
11-26-2010, 11:49 PM
I could, but I want the split to be on the 3-way toggle. Thing is, I never go for combined humbucker sounds, so I'm not really sacrificing a position.

jaxadam
11-26-2010, 11:54 PM
Gotcha. Let me see what I can some up with...

Leon
11-27-2010, 12:05 AM
:wub:

Zero
11-27-2010, 05:00 PM
first, you'll need one of these (or something like it.)

Guitar Parts: Switchcraft 3-way toggle switch for 3 Pickups (http://www.guitarengineeringltd.com/switchcraft-3-way-toggle-switch-for-3-pickups.html?___store=default)

for all intents and purposes, for what you want to do, the 81TW is two pickups, not one.

Judging by this diagram

http://www.emgpickups.com/content/wiringdiagrams/EMG-81TW-89.pdf

The orange is always connected to the circuit, and it appears that the White + Yellow are for the single-coil part, and the blue and green are for the humbucker part. I haven't yet found a reference for what exactly each wire does on the TWs, so Trial and error might be your best bet. My asumption is that the wires on the "top" in that diagram (yellow/orange/blue) are the grounds (with the yellow and blue running into the orange, which would connect to the shield back at the pickup maybe?), and the two on the bottom (Green/White) are the Hots. I wonder what would happen if you soldered the Y/O/B together, and then the Green to the middle lug, and the White to the neck lug? That sounds like it would work in my head, but I'm really basing everything here off an unconfirmed assumption, so I can guarantee nothing.

EDIT: Fairly sure I'm right about this. the Push/Pull is a DPDT, so, say, with the pot in the down position, the Green is connected to the "Output" and the Blue is connected to the Orange. Orange is the 'negative' side of the pickup (AKA a ground), if it were a traditional pickup of some type. I would solder the Orange, Blue, and Yellow together, solder the shield to ground, and the White (Single-coil) to whatever location you want the single-coil to be, and the Green to wherever you want the humbucker to be.

Leon
11-28-2010, 08:35 PM
I have a right-angle switch like that in my XV500, because I couldn't find a straight one. Nice! I don't see how deep it is on that page, any insight?