tung oiling maple [Archive] - Metalguitarist.org

View Full Version : tung oiling maple

7deadlysins
02-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Wirelessly posted (Shadow: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

So I'm planning a Warmoth build in a month or so when I get my taxes back and I'm curious how difficult it is to finish maple. Of course the neck will already be fretted, and I was planning on giving the (ash) body an amber tint using stew macs tint spray cans. Will the tung oil react bad to the amber tint and how hard is it to tung oil a fretted maple neck/fretboard guitar? I don't want warmoth to finish it for the sake of saving a bit of cash and the guitar will be basically natural anyway.

Also has anyone ever tried finishing a maple neck with gunstock oil? I'm curious to try that but I don't want to destroy the neck with something that won't last long.

robanomoly
02-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Tung oil application is simple: wipe on, wait, wipe off.

Tung oil on a maple neck works fine. The couple of tung oil products I've used recommend applying no more than one coat in 24 hours, then letting it cure for 7 days prior to final buffing. For a neck, I'd apply at least five coats, or as many as it takes to reach saturation point.

Tung oil on a maple fingerboard hasn't worked out too well for me so far; meaning it shows wear quickly. Although, that could be my fault for not applying enough coats and/or waiting long enough for final cure.

Tung oil on an Ash body should work fine; similar rules as the neck. Not sure how it will react to the tint. Submit a tech question to Stew-Mac. They're really good about answering.

7deadlysins
02-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Wirelessly posted (Shadow: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Have you tried tru oil/gunstock oil? I googled it and had mixed reviews. Some say its great for maple neck/fretboard and some said it shows wear easily. I'm not skilled enough to do a real gloss/satin..tried that before. :lol:

Empryrean
02-24-2011, 03:20 AM
I've tung oiled the neck on my T-7 when I sanded it down and reshaped it, I let it have the standard 12 hours between coats, and sanded 1200 in between applications after the 3rd coat. I got up to about 6 then called it a day; buffed the day after.

edit: it was the ormsby stuff if that makes a difference at all.