This post is from my new pc. [Archive] - Metalguitarist.org

View Full Version : This post is from my new pc.

forelander
12-09-2008, 06:07 AM
Quad Core Q8200 at 2.33 GHz
4 Gb DDRIII RAM
9800GFX+ with 1 Gb ram graphics card
1 Tb HDD
620W power supply

:scream: This computer = :metal:

If you were wondering how long it takes to format a 1 Tb HDD, the answer is 4 hours.

Blankplank
12-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Fucking 4 hours?! I'm assuming that was a full format, not just a quick one? Your running both OS and storing files on that 1 drive?

Lord of All Fevers
12-10-2008, 12:50 AM
Custom build? How much did it end up costing you?

forelander
12-10-2008, 05:22 AM
Fucking 4 hours?! I'm assuming that was a full format, not just a quick one? Your running both OS and storing files on that 1 drive?

Yeah it was a full format. Files and OS on the same HDD. Did I mention it was on a 1 Tb HDD?

Total cost for parts was around 1500 AUD. Keep in mind our exchange rate is fucked and everything is more expensive, but for what I spent, I think I did fairly well. I wouldn't have minded a higher end graphics card but they're still ridiculously overpriced.

So far I've only played COD4 and it runs max settings like it ain't no thang.

HaGGuS
12-10-2008, 05:25 AM
Congrats.. :metal:

Tom
12-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Four hours? I don't think my TB drive took that long to format. Then again, that was a while ago. :shrug: Cool new compy. :yesway:

Thomas
12-10-2008, 10:53 AM
It had to be the type of format that overwrites all the data on the partition. A regular format would only have taken a few seconds.

forelander
12-10-2008, 12:35 PM
It had to be the type of format that overwrites all the data on the partition. A regular format would only have taken a few seconds.

It was. I only chose it since it was a completely new HDD, OS, I didn't know what I use doing and it had "recommended," or something next to it :lol:.

Tom
12-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Even if you're just doing a routine reformat, it's good to use the complete format option. At least in my experience, OS installs tend to be buggier when you just use the quick format for some reason.

Spinedriver
12-14-2008, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't have minded a higher end graphics card but they're still ridiculously overpriced.

So far I've only played COD4 and it runs max settings like it ain't no thang.

Unless you're planning on going SLI/Crossifre, the only 'higher end' you can go would be either the GFX 260/280, ATI 4870 or maybe the 9800 GT X2, so I think you did rather well.

Personally, I just picked up an EVGA 9800 GTX+ OC and it can even handle Crysis decently. Overall, yeah it does look like a pretty decent machine.

forelander
12-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Unless you're planning on going SLI/Crossifre, the only 'higher end' you can go would be either the GFX 260/280, ATI 4870 or maybe the 9800 GT X2, so I think you did rather well.

Personally, I just picked up an EVGA 9800 GTX+ OC and it can even handle Crysis decently. Overall, yeah it does look like a pretty decent machine.

Yeah the gfx 2x0 series was the higher end I was talking about, but the cards are more than double what I paid for mine. Just a quick question, how hot does the gpu on yours run, if you've got a temperature monitor?

Blankplank
12-14-2008, 08:56 PM
I was gonna get a GTX260 for the new system I'm building. I've got an Asus 780i board sat in this now, but i'm selling that. I'm not gonna be using it for games anymore. Most things in this are going besides the sound card, as that was 120, the Blu-ray drive, and my RAM. New one is gonna be a media/recording rig. Lots of HDD space, plenty of PCI ports and just the one PCI-E 2.0 port. Should be the muts nuts when it's finished.

Spinedriver
12-15-2008, 12:39 AM
Yeah the gfx 2x0 series was the higher end I was talking about, but the cards are more than double what I paid for mine. Just a quick question, how hot does the gpu on yours run, if you've got a temperature monitor?

I don't do an awful lot of gaming myself but it's nice to have the hardware to do it when a good game comes out. I haven't checked under stress but under normal usage I checked it once and it was around 52 celcius.

Tom
12-15-2008, 12:44 AM
I haven't kept up with things as much in recent years but it's getting a little tougher to shop for video cards. The newer cards look great, especially with the built in Phys-X cards, but they're so much more expensive and don't seem to be that much more powerful (not to mention how huge they are). Then there's the whole SLI thing, and now I think you can put three video cards in an SLI setup. Craziness! I plan to build a new all-purpose PC in the next few months or so, but I don't know what I'm going to do as far as GPUs.

forelander
12-15-2008, 01:52 AM
I've heard SLI / Crossfire isn't all that worth it currently. Instead of buying 2 x $300 cards you're probably better off getting a $600 card, performance wise. There's a shitload of cards about, if you can afford I'd just get something second or third tier down from the highest end, which should be able to play most things are reasonable settings for a while.

The card I got is currently the third tier down, in terms of available cards, but you wouldn't know it. It plays everything I've thrown at it very smoothly :yesway:. By the time it's not playing new games, the current top end will be around third tier down and much cheaper, and it'll be time to upgrade.

Another reason to get a second/third tier card is since they've likely been around a while, it's easier to find information and reviews on particular cards. Since there are so many, I found that fairly helpful.

Spinedriver
12-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Here's a really cool chart I used when I was looking at which card to get. I was originally planning on a 9800 GT for $170 but when I went to check out the prices at another store, they had an 'open box' GTX+ for $230 (normally $260).
The GTX 260 was $310 and although it is a bit better, it wasn't $80 worth of better over the one I got.

As far as SLI/Crossfire goes, there's no doubt whatsoever that they destroy any single card out there (depending on which cards you're running together of course). 2 8600 GT's in SLI won't beat a GTX280 but from the chart in the link, 2 9800 GT's will give it one hell of a run for the money. Considering you can get 2 9800 GT's for less than a GTX 280.

Tom
12-15-2008, 09:17 PM
^ Great! But where's the link?

Spinedriver
12-16-2008, 12:26 AM
^ Great! But where's the link?

oooooooooooooooops.... :roll2:

Benchmarks Gaming Graphics Charts Q3/2008 (http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-charts-q3-2008/benchmarks,30.html)

Tom
12-16-2008, 12:46 AM
Helpful stuff! :yesway: