Fixing creaky tuning pegs [Archive] - Metalguitarist.org

View Full Version : Fixing creaky tuning pegs

Chris
03-18-2011, 02:41 PM
My C1's tuners are original, so they're ~8+ years old. It has brand new strings on it, and I always use a bit of #2 pencil on the nut and in the actual string hole on the peg when I do changes.

That said, the tuners are creaking (all of them, all of a sudden :scratch:) after my last string change, and I'm not sure why. When I tune either way, they'll make a ping sound, and the string will "skip", so to speak so that I can't get it in tune correctly. It'll jump just a little flat/sharp regardless of how much I twist.

Is this something that I can fix with some oil/graphite, or should I just slap new tuners on it? This was one of my kick around guitars, so it spent about a year at my Drummer's place in a pretty dusty basement.

‹berschall
03-18-2011, 03:00 PM
http://www.springdalemusic.com/catalog/images/sperzel-guitar-tuning-machine-3-3-black.jpg

Andy
03-18-2011, 03:02 PM
http://www.springdalemusic.com/catalog/images/sperzel-guitar-tuning-machine-3-3-black.jpg

:agreed:

Max
03-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

The pinging is almost guaranteedly your nut as is the creaking. Did you change gauges? You could have too much graphite packed in there. Try taking some excess string of the same gauge and running it in the nut like a file for a few seconds.

Your tuners are probably just fine, I'd expect

Stitch
03-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Have you stretched the strings in properly after installing them? The creaking and pinging are both symptoms of the string slipping and sticking over itself around the tuning peg.

eleven59
03-18-2011, 03:08 PM
My 13 year old Squier has had the same issue the last few years (or longer, most likely, don't clearly remember), but I haven't bothered doing anything about it other than learning to work around the issue :lol:

Chris
03-18-2011, 03:09 PM
Have you stretched the strings in properly after installing them? The creaking and pinging are both symptoms of the string slipping and sticking over itself around the tuning peg.

Yeah. The strings (11's) have been on there maybe a week or two now, and when I do string changes it's an excuse to unleash my inner asshole for an hour or so and just go fucking batshit crazy with bends and stuff. They're definitely stretched. :lol:

Chris
03-18-2011, 03:09 PM
My 13 year old Squier has had the same issue the last few years (or longer, most likely, don't clearly remember), but I haven't bothered doing anything about it other than learning to work around the issue :lol:

Hey, if the pop world can sing in 438hz and autotune it up, why can't we? :lol:

eleven59
03-18-2011, 03:14 PM
Hey, if the pop world can sing in 438hz and autotune it up, why can't we? :lol:

:rofl: That guitar's in such bad shape, the tuners are pooched, and a few bridge saddles can no longer have their height adjusted due to the screws corroding :lol: But I just won't let it die.

Stitch
03-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Yeah. The strings (11's) have been on there maybe a week or two now, and when I do string changes it's an excuse to unleash my inner asshole for an hour or so and just go fucking batshit crazy with bends and stuff. They're definitely stretched. :lol:

Humour me. :fawk: Pull the string out the nut slots and then pull them tight using a rotation on your wrist (i.e, pressing down with your thumb and pulling up with the rest of your hand)

eleven59
03-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Humour me. :fawk: Pull the string out the nut slots and then pull them tight using a rotation on your wrist (i.e, pressing down with your thumb and pulling up with the rest of your hand)

Is this before, or after he clears his cache?

Chris
03-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Is this before, or after he clears his cache?

:winning:

Elysian
03-18-2011, 05:57 PM

Not the picture I was expecting :lol:

That said, I'm assuming they're sealed tuners, what I'd try is an oil like bike chain oil, take the time off and put it down the small space between the shaft and the body of the tuner.

Chris
03-22-2011, 07:30 PM
This turned out to be a problem with my nut. :quagmire:

Graphited the slots, and the problem is el fixed-o.