Soopahmahn
03-30-2011, 01:59 PM
All manner of win.

Seanbabs
03-30-2011, 02:17 PM
:woohoo:

Soopahmahn
03-30-2011, 02:28 PM
I am so disappoint that I had to miss an opportunity to take a free lesson with Troy.

F1Filter
03-30-2011, 04:31 PM
More info have been posted. This looks like it's going to be a contender for the instructional DVD of the year.

Go inside the mind of one of the most accomplished guitar instructors in history. Troy's long history in writing, recording, and studying music theory have given him the tools needed to teach others. His theories and applications in music theory are some of the most widely used by guitarists and musicians today. Troy is also the author of more than 40 guitar instructional methods for the Hal Leonard Corporation. Combined, Troy’s releases alone have sold more than 1 million copies worldwide. This is Troy’s first full length instructional DVD release that will unveil hundreds of his key insights to mastering the electric guitar.

Feature List:

The role of effortlessness - how to reduce your playing tension
The path to unlimited speed, control and articulation
Ultimate shred picking secrets – building total picking control
How and what to practice for maximum skill retention
The role of exercises – how to choose them, how to use them
Non-standard phrasing ideas and bending approaches
Metronome techniques for greater rhythmic control
Secrets to playing in the pocket
Secrets to building engaging riffs
Dozens of arrangement tips and compositional ideas
An inside look at six songs from Second Soul’s “Beyond the Infinite” CD
Over 3.5 hours of footage
Tablature book
Guest appearances by Mark Tremonti, Michael Angelo Batio, Eric Friedman, & Bill Peck

I picked up their Tremonti DVD a few years back, and if that's any indicator of how good this one will be. Then it should be a "must buy".

Seanbabs
03-30-2011, 04:45 PM
More info have been posted. This looks like it's going to be a contender for the instructional DVD of the year.

I picked up their Tremonti DVD a few years back, and if that's any indicator of how good this one will be. Then it should be a "must buy".

Really? I thought the Tremonti DVD kinda sucked. It was just a compilation of licks to go try, most of which were in regular natural minor. I found the "story" section to be much more interesting than the "sound" section. Then again, I am not a huge fan of his playing, so by the 8th legato lick that was in natural minor just starting from a different position I just checked out.

F1Filter
03-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Really? I thought the Tremonti DVD kinda sucked. It was just a compilation of licks to go try, most of which were in regular natural minor. I found the "story" section to be much more interesting than the "sound" section. Then again, I am not a huge fan of his playing, so by the 8th legato lick that was in natural minor just starting from a different position I just checked out.

That's probably why you didn't like it. Because from a production standpoint. It's still probably one of the better vids I've seen. The only thing that's come close to it is maybe some of the later Rockhouse Method DVD's.

From a purely educational point of view. I actually got more from the "guest" instructional sections than what Mark was teaching. But that goes without saying when they've got guys like Stetina, Batio and Cooley on there.

Seanbabs
03-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Yeah I totally agree with that. I am much, much more interested in the Stetina one.

BTW, has anyone gotten the Loomis Rock House DVD? I want to get that one but I keep forgetting about it until I am out of money :(

F1Filter
03-30-2011, 05:40 PM
BTW, has anyone gotten the Loomis Rock House DVD? I want to get that one but I keep forgetting about it until I am out of money :(

It's good. But to be honest. I really don't care all that much for the Rockhouse Method way of presenting material. A lot of it seems just an excuse for the artist to plug their latest CD. Not saying that you can't learn from their DVD's. The Rusty Cooley DVD's are excellent, and also the one they released recently with Gary Hoey. But in both of those cases. They're focusing on theory or specific techniques and applications. Rather than: "Here's a Diminished run. And now here's a Diminished run that I do in (insert song title here) along with the backing track from (insert CD name here)"

Anyway here's the chapter list from the Loomis DVD:

Seanbabs
03-30-2011, 06:16 PM
It's good. But to be honest. I really don't care all that much for the Rockhouse Method way of presenting material. A lot of it seems just an excuse for the artist to plug their latest CD. Not saying that you can't learn from their DVD's. The Rusty Cooley DVD's are excellent, and also the one they released recently with Gary Hoey. But in both of those cases. They're focusing on theory or specific techniques and applications. Rather than: "Here's a Diminished run. And now here's a Diminished run that I do in (insert song title here) along with the backing track from (insert CD name here)"

Hmmm, that does look pretty interesting, because it breaks down the examples by modes. I am interested in how he utilizes the whole tone scale, because I have only been successful in using it between key modulation.

I think I'll have to pick that up :yesway:

Thanks for posting that table of contents!

F1Filter
03-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Hmmm, that does look pretty interesting, because it breaks down the examples by modes. I am interested in how he utilizes the whole tone scale, because I have only been successful in using it between key modulation.

I think I'll have to pick that up :yesway:

Yeah man, definitely check it out. I don't want to sound all negative about RM's way of presenting their material. It's just that enough with the plugging of the artist's CD already. It's supposed to be an instructional vid. Not an infomercial.

Regardless. It's worth buying. 2 dvd's worth of Loomis shredding. What's not to like? Target's website actually sells it for under 17 bucks.

Daniel
03-30-2011, 08:02 PM

I see where ya coming from and totally agree.

incarnate
03-30-2011, 09:59 PM
How much do u think the new stetina DVD will cost? I need to own this.

Daniel
03-31-2011, 04:20 PM
How much do u think the new stetina DVD will cost? I need to own this.

I'd say about 30 - 60 range

incarnate
04-01-2011, 12:12 AM
sweet!