Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Pickups for my RG 7421?

Tags
7421 pickups
4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Joey 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some pickups to throw in my RG 7421. Looking to keep the price relatively low, so probably around the DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan range.

First of all how much work would it be to swap the pups out for DiMarzio's? I heard they're a direct fit and all thats required is some wiring.

This guitars probably going to be used for some progressive death metal stuff. I don't care at all about mid gain tones.

Looking for the bridge pup to nail something like this.

Basically looking for a tight (but not crazy compressed), articulate, and very crunchy sound. Less..liquid-y but more crunch, if that makes sense :lol:

For the neck pickup I'm hoping to nail something like Necrophagist's lead tone/Petrucci.

So a very liquidy, smooth, neck pup with not too much attack. However, I still want to be able to get attack if I need it and nail something like say Andy Timmons lead tone, if that's really not possible then I'd prefer a more liquid sound.

In terms of cleans, I like those super pristine cleans ala tesseract, periphery etc...and just want to avoid the boominess I get in my 707's.

The RG still has the same old basswood body.

...its a plus if they come in a variety of colours ;)

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.